JFK is alive in 1964
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:53:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  JFK is alive in 1964
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: JFK is alive in 1964  (Read 672 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2023, 07:22:32 AM »

How does the election go if he is alive in 1964??? How do Vietnam and Cuba go?
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2023, 08:31:58 AM »

How does the election go if he is alive in 1964??? How do Vietnam and Cuba go?

The LA Times and the Miami Herald would have probably published the mountain of Kennedy scandals in early 1964 that where hidden under the carpet.

Rockefeller would have won the GOP nomination and the Presidency, because his minor sin of getting divorced would have looked trivial in comparison.

No Great Society, no Apollo Program, no Vietham War, no Civil Rights.

I remember the BBC having a take on that alternative history:

You can see why Kennedy had to die in that way.
It took the public sympathy from the assasination, for LBJ to do all those in 1964-66.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2023, 07:47:06 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2023, 08:16:15 PM by Acespec-Statism »

The Civil Rights Act still passes with the increasing pressure from and visibility of the Civil Rights movement post-Birmingham Campaign, just more narrowly. Most of what we know as the Great Society programs are likewise passed by congress as a New Frontier-branded legislative package, albeit trimmed down more to middle class-oriented consumer and environmental protections. Minor note, but since I recently did an article about it, there might not be the unprecedented federal investment in education that there was IOTL since Johnson was influenced by his time as the head of the Texas National Youth Administration. Goldwater still gets the nomination on the backlash to all that, but Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett had a particular hatred of Kennedy and IMO would have run third-party- he was more of an arch-segregationist at core than Wallace, who probably just ran in the primaries as a grift.

Kennedy probably doesn't have some major scandal yet like some people think- a year probably isn't enough time for an infidelity scandal to break, and the White House physicians stopped Max Jacobson's meth treatments, so no public psychotic breaks like the alleged Carlyle Hotel incident could have become- nor is Johnson swapped out like some people speculate. Kennedy still commits to direct involvement in Vietnam for the same reasons as Johnson, but there would definitely be some friction with the CIA on Cuba, as Kennedy thought he could engineer some kind of Cuban Thaw. He was nervous about how it would be perceived, but was aiming for it nevertheless and receptive to Castro's overtures.

Overall, minus Barnett, Goldwater does a little better without Kennedy made a martyr, flipping Idaho and overcoming the backlash to his opposition to farm subsidies in Nebraska at least. But he and Barnett neutralize each other in the non-Deep South, and he was a little too extreme for the time to do much better.

President John F. Kennedy (D-MA) / Vice President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) ✓
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) / Congressman William Miller (R-NY)
Fmr. Governor Ross Barnett (I-MS) / Congressman Bob Sikes (I-FL)

Fun episode, but major Red Dwarf fans like myself will note that the show is a comedy. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2023, 04:02:36 PM »

The Civil Rights Act still passes with the increasing pressure from and visibility of the Civil Rights movement post-Birmingham Campaign, just more narrowly. Most of what we know as the Great Society programs are likewise passed by congress as a New Frontier-branded legislative package, albeit trimmed down more to middle class-oriented consumer and environmental protections. Minor note, but since I recently did an article about it, there might not be the unprecedented federal investment in education that there was IOTL since Johnson was influenced by his time as the head of the Texas National Youth Administration. Goldwater still gets the nomination on the backlash to all that, but Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett had a particular hatred of Kennedy and IMO would have run third-party- he was more of an arch-segregationist at core than Wallace, who probably just ran in the primaries as a grift.

Kennedy probably doesn't have some major scandal yet like some people think- a year probably isn't enough time for an infidelity scandal to break, and the White House physicians stopped Max Jacobson's meth treatments, so no public psychotic breaks like the alleged Carlyle Hotel incident could have become- nor is Johnson swapped out like some people speculate. Kennedy still commits to direct involvement in Vietnam for the same reasons as Johnson, but there would definitely be some friction with the CIA on Cuba, as Kennedy thought he could engineer some kind of Cuban Thaw. He was nervous about how it would be perceived, but was aiming for it nevertheless and receptive to Castro's overtures.

Overall, minus Barnett, Goldwater does a little better without Kennedy made a martyr, flipping Idaho and overcoming the backlash to his opposition to farm subsidies in Nebraska at least. But he and Barnett neutralize each other in the non-Deep South, and he was a little too extreme for the time to do much better.

President John F. Kennedy (D-MA) / Vice President Lyndon Johnson (D-TX) ✓
Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) / Congressman William Miller (R-NY)
Fmr. Governor Ross Barnett (I-MS) / Congressman Bob Sikes (I-FL)

Fun episode, but major Red Dwarf fans like myself will note that the show is a comedy. Tongue

No way does Kennedy win Utah ittl. There's still too much anti-Catholicism, and the parts Goldwater does best in Idaho with apply to Utah too.

Pretty sure New Hampshire would go to Goldwater too, if very narrowly considering just how Republican it was until 1996.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies