The Region - Game Moderator Issues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:34:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Region - Game Moderator Issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: The Region - Game Moderator Issues  (Read 12703 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 16, 2004, 09:53:47 PM »
« edited: July 17, 2004, 09:58:28 PM by GM Ernest »

The Region
July 16, 2004 - Columbia, Southeast

Sex in the Senate
(Routers) Nym, DC
Rumor indicates that a former intern will be filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against a Senator on Monday, but sources conflict on which Senator will be implicated in what may be the most salacious scandal since the Lewinsky affair.

Axle of Evil is Oiled
(Routers) Tehran, Iran
Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Namdar Zangeneh announced today a new trade deal that would supply North Korea with thirty million barrels of oil per year for the next five years. This reprresents the sum total of curent oil imports made by North Korea today, but it remains to be seen if this represents a decision by the Pyongyang government to depend upon Iranian oil for its imports or to increase the usage of petroleum which was scaled back after deliveries of subsidized fuel oil under the Agreed Framework ended in November 2002, after the disclosure of North Korea's nuclear weapons program.

New Security Measures Locking Up Some Ports
{Routers) Boston, MA
Michael Leone, head of the Massachusetts Port Authority and the American Association of Port Authorities indicated at a press conference today that the new security regulations tha went into effect on 1 July were causing localized probems at some ports due to inadequate staffing.  "Most ports are still handling cargo ina timely manner despite the new security checks," he said, "but several of our busiest ports, especially Long Beach, Jacksonville, and Boston are suffering from delays of over a day due to inadequate staffing.  Just-in-time inventory management requires predicatable shipping times.  Most shippers factored in some extra time for the first few days of the new security operations, but the persistent delays at a few ports are impairing the efficiency of our economy."

Vanna Takes a Spin
{Routers) Miami, FL
The National Hurricanne Center announced the formation of Tropical Storm Vanna off the Cape Verde Islands.  According to a spokesman, while it is unusual for a storm to form so far to the east this earkly in the season, it isn't unheard of.  It is expected to be at least a week before Vanna could first threaten land somewhere in the Lesser Antilles, but already the tourist islands of the Caribbean are bracing for the economic impact that even a threatened strm can cause them.

Mexican-Saudi Diplomatic Row Straightened
(Routers) Mexico City, Mexico
A senior Pemex official had caused a few undiplomatic words to be exchanged following remarks he had made at a oil industry conference last month.  He was overgeard saying that he hoped that the Saudi troubles would continue as it was making it easier for Pemex to staff new oil production facilities in the Gulf of Mexico with experienced personel because some workers in the Saudi fields were seeking jobs elsewhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2004, 10:01:05 PM »

Can I use these on the news wires at Tammany?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2004, 10:12:25 PM »

They are freely available for use with the forum.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2004, 12:10:40 AM »

The Region
July 16, 2004 - Columbia, Southeast

Sex in the Senate
(Routers) Nym, DC
Rumor indicates that a former intern will be filing a sexual harassment lawsuit against a Senator on Monday, but sources conflict on which Senator will be implicated in what may be the most salacious scandal since the Lewinsky affair.

This is gonna be interesting...I like it Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2004, 10:34:38 AM »

Vanna Takes a Spin
{Routers) Miami, FL
The National Hurricanne Center announced the formation of Tropical Storm Vanna off the Cape Verde Islands.  According to a spokesman, while it is unusual for a storm to form so far to the east this earkly in the season, it isn't unheard of.  It is expected to be at least a week before Vanna could first threaten land somewhere in the Lesser Antilles, but already the tourist islands of the Caribbean are bracing for the economic impact that even a threatened strm can cause them.

It's also very unusual for the first storm of the year to start with a 'V' instead of an 'A' Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wink Tongue Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2004, 10:58:27 AM »

Well, I did want to emphasize the fantasy with this story which is why I didn't use an 'A' name.  I could have used the real name list for this year but I didn't want to risk any confusion with the real storms.  Considering the real-life names that I used in the second and third stories, I think I'm blurring the line between reality and fantasy enough as it is.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2004, 11:01:38 AM »

Note the Wink Tongue Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2004, 10:39:38 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2004, 10:12:24 AM by GM Ernest »

The Region
July 18, 2004 - Columbia, Southeast
Gary gets in the way of San Jose
(Routers} Manama, Bahrain
A US Navy spokesman reports that a collision occured between USS Gary (FFG 51) and the USNS San Jose (T-AFS 3) during an underway replenishment exercise in the Persian Gulf.  No injuries have been reported but both ships are heading to Manama for minor repairs.

Vanna Continues to Spin
(Routers) Miami, FL
Vanna has been upgraded to a Category I hurricane as it churns westward in the middle Atlantic. The National Hurricane Center is projecting that it could reach the Lesser Antilles as soon as Sunday depending upon the course and speed this storm takes.

Second Edition corrected minor spelling mistake

KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2004, 10:42:58 PM »

Why is this stickied?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2004, 08:43:10 AM »

Since it's supposedly the GM-issue, if i understood all this correctly. Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2004, 12:16:11 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2004, 12:19:38 PM by GM Ernest »

I wish to thank Secretary Ford for responding quickly in the Live from the Pentagon thread and I have posted several letters to Secretary Ford in response from various persons.  Anybody who can mange to get complaints from both labor and management can't be all wrong.
Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2004, 06:29:09 PM »

*** A Statement from the Office of Midwestern Governor ***

Governer Ilikeverin announced today that he intends to ship needed medical supplies and/or food if necessary to any locales affected by Hurricane Vanna.

He also put the Texas coast, including Galveston, on a Hurricane Watch Watch Watch, indicating that there is a threat of a watch of a threat of a watch of a threat of hurricane conditions appearing within 24-36 hours, within 24-36 hours, within 24-36 hours.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2004, 09:47:16 AM »

The Region
July 19, 2004 - Columbia, Southeast

A Kennedy of Course
(Routers) San Francisco, CA
Lawyers for one Amatullah Hanifa bint Muminah filed this morning a sexual harrasment lawsuit against Senator Kennedy this morning.  The plaintiff's lawyers said to assembled reporters that they would be holding a press conference on Thursday to inform the public in detail of their client's charges of what the senator did to his former intern.  “She and her family wish a period of privacy before meeting the press,” said an unidentified lawyer as he left the courthouse where the papers had just been filed.

North Korea Skips Six Pack
(Routers) Pyongyang, North Korea
Foreign Minister Paek Nam-sun announced that his government had no plans to attend the next scheduled round of the six-nation talks.  "We see no reason to go to yet another session of these failed talks and listen to more Yankee bombast.  However, we invite representatives of the Moscow, Tokyo, Seoul, Beijing, and Taipei governments to come to Pyongyang next week for a true regional six-party talk to discuss issues of mutual interest without the interference of American imperialists.”  Minister Paek decined to answer questions after handing out his prepared statement.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2004, 02:58:38 PM »

A Kennedy of Course
(Routers) San Francisco, CA
Lawyers for one Amatullah Hanifa bint Muminah filed this morning a sexual harrasment lawsuit against Senator Kennedy this morning.  The plaintiff's lawyers said to assembled reporters that they would be holding a press conference on Thursday to inform the public in detail of their client's charges of what the senator did to his former intern.  “She and her family wish a period of privacy before meeting the press,” said an unidentified lawyer as he left the courthouse where the papers had just been filed.

Shocked
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2004, 03:02:27 PM »

Official Statement from Senator Kennedy:

Ladies and Gentlemen, a grave and unfounded accusation has been made against my reputation. I am denying all the charges of sexual harrassment. I have long respected those who work for me and continue to.

I am sad that this case has been brought against me as I am always one to stand up against those who sexually harrass women.

I am sorry to see something like this coming from a former employee but hold no grudge against them, whatever the outcome of the case.

I would like for all questions to be directed to my lawyer, the owner of Kennedy House Chambers. Sen. John F. Kennedy, in other words, all questions should be addressed to me.

Thank you for your time ladies and gentlemen.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 01:18:00 AM »
« Edited: July 20, 2004, 01:23:19 AM by GM Ernest »

The Region
July 20, 2004

Chinese Announce Moon Goal
(Routers) Beijing, China
Wang Yongzhi of the Chinese Ministry of Space announced plans to send two men to the moon by 2012.  "On this thirty-fifth anniversary of the landing of Apollo 11, we have decided to announce our plans to land taikonauts on the moon before the fortieth aniversary of the last time man set foot on the moon.  Now that we have begun the Long March to the Stars, we shall not falter as others have."  An accelerated launch schedule for China's second manned space flight, Shenzhou 6, for March 2005 was also announced, and was earlier than previous reports which suggested a fall 2005 launch date.

VIP Party and Protest
(Routers) Charlotte Amalie, VI
A protest march disturbed the normal tropical tranquility of the Virgin Islands.  The march, organized by the Virgin Islands People's Party to protest the recent actions of Secretary of Defense Ford, was even more energized by news of Senator Harry's proposed Caribbean Statehood Act.  "It's bad enough that we're treated as third-class citizens by the bureaucrats in Nym, but now it's proposed that we be lumped together with the Puerto Ricans?  We demand that we be consulted before any change in our status!"  Despite the heated rhetoric, the protest was peaceful.

Korean Talks to Proceed
(Routers) Seoul, South Korea
Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Ban Ki-moon indicated that he would be travelling to Pyongyang next week to attend the talks proposed by the North Korean government yesterday.  "It would be remiss for us to dismiss beforehand any chance of solving the current situation," said the minister.

Vanna Alarms French
(Routers) Paris, France
Meteo France issued its equivalent of a Hurricane Watch for Guadeloupe amd Martinique indicating that there was chance that the islands could be struck within 72 hours by Hurricane Vanna, which has now been upgraded to a Category II storm by the National Hurricane Center in Miami.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2004, 05:18:13 PM »

Meanwhile, the situation in Texas has been upgraded to a Hurricane Watch Watch Warning, which means that... eh... whatever.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2004, 05:54:37 PM »

Well, Vanna isn't heading that way, but just for you ILV,

The Columbia Rewind
July 20, 2004

Storm Winds Blow in Gulf and Caribbean
(Routers) Miami, FL
The National Hurricane Center announced the formation of Tropical Depression #3.14 in the Gulf of Mexico and issued a Tropical Storm Watch for the Texas and Louisiana coasts.  Hurricane Vanna was upgraded to a Category III storm but is expected to calm back down to Category II overnight.  The NHC has not issued any watches for Vanna, but the projected 72-hour path indicates that she will likely be approaching the Virgin Islands on Friday.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2004, 06:14:51 PM »

Yay Smiley

The Midwest feels special now Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2004, 06:12:24 PM »

The Columbia Rewind
July 21, 2004 - Columbia, SC

Yorick Will Shake Piers
(Routers}Galveston, TX
   Tropical Depression  #3.14 was upgraded to Tropical Storm Yorick this morning and even now its top winds of 60 mph are roiling the waters of Galveston Bay he is coming ashore.  Said one local resident.  "I'm just glad it's happening now and not later during football season.  I'd really hate to have to watch my son play Riverdale High in such weather."

China Seeks To Add Two Seats To Korean Table
(Routers) Beijing, China
   Speculation about whether China would agree to the North Korean proposal for regional talks that included Taiwanese participation was altered into another form by an offical statement released by the Foreign Ministry today:
"The People's Repubic of China has no objection to the inclusion of Taiwan at these talks, as long as our other two Special Adminstartive Regions are includes as welll, Hong Kong, and Macao.  Either all of our S.A.R.'s should be invited or none of them."
   Now speculation is whether the Taiwanese government, which has been seeking greater participation on the international stage, will be willing to accept the implicit Chinese demand for Taiwan to recogize Beijimg's claim to a superior position in their relationship.

Vanna Not To Meet With Virgins
(Routers) Miami, FL
The National Hurricane Center has issued Tropical Storm Watches for  the US Virgin Islands and northeastern Puerto Rico.  Hurricane Vanna is a Category II hurricane which is expected to just brush the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico with her fringe as it passes to the north.  Tropical Strorm and Hurricane Watches and Warnings have also been issued by other governments in the Leeward Islands.  The strongest winds currently reported are 25 mph winds with 45 mph gusts on the island of Barbuda.  HUrricane Vanna's current position is 58.3W 18.5N.

Gary Left High And Dry
(Routers} Manama, Bahrain
A strike by shipyard workers here has left the frigate USS Gary stranded in drydock.  The Gary had come here for inspection and repair after colliding with the USNS late last week.  According the captain of the ship, "The frustrating part is that the inspection showed that the repairs made at sea were sufficient to last us until we can return home.  Now our crew will have to wait until this strike gets settled, so we're stuck here."  Navy officials indicate that the Gary will likely be decomissioned and mothballed upon returning home rather than being subjected to extensive repairs. The Navy has been phasing out the use of older single-mission ships such as the Gary and the other Perry-class frigates in favor of multi-mission ships such as the Arleigh Burke-class destroyers.  A number of Perry-class frigates have already been either decommisioned or transferred to other navies.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2004, 06:33:02 PM »

The Columbia Rewind
July 21, 2004 - Columbia, SC

Yorick Will Shake Piers
(Routers}Galveston, TX
   Tropical Depression  #3.14 was upgraded to Tropical Storm Yorick this morning and even now its top winds of 60 mph are roiling the waters of Galveston Bay he is coming ashore.  Said one local resident.  "I'm just glad it's happening now and not later during football season.  I'd really hate to have to watch my son play Riverdale High in such weather."

Yay Yorick! Grin

I mean... boo... *ahem*

I'm going to issue Tropical Storm Warnings all along the coast and Tornado Watches just in case, since Tropical Storms/Hurricanes have a tendency to spawn tornadoes.

Also, I urge surfers/swimmers not to go out too far for fear of undertow.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2004, 06:33:50 PM »

Ernest, could you add a story about residents of PR reacting to the statehood act?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2004, 06:34:58 PM »

Hey Ernest, will you be covering this weekend's special Senate election for Senator Beet's old seat?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2004, 06:39:18 PM »

Vanna's current location!

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2004, 07:50:15 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2004, 08:09:15 PM by GM Ernest »

Ernest, could you add a story about residents of PR reacting to the statehood act?

I could, but I feel that the Puerto Ricans are probably considering this pretty much to be yet another Puerto Rican Statehood bill with not much chance of passage.  If it ever gets to Gustaf's desk for him to sign, I have several story ideas ready, but to be frank, there's nothing in the bill that would generate a story from Puerto Rico unless it was at least close to being passed.. It got unfavorable press from the Virgin Islands because the original bill lumped them in with Puerto Rico which was a novel idea and one which they would be extremly against, but I am not certain how they would react to being part of the Southeastern region.

How was it originally decided which states would be part of which regions?  That might affect how they would respond, but I wasn't  here when the regions were formed.

As for Navassa Island, since no one lives there, there hasn't been much press coverage there. Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies