Presidential Elections Amendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:04:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Presidential Elections Amendment  (Read 7207 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 16, 2007, 09:20:48 PM »

1. To change the amount of time between presidential elections to two months
2. To change Article II, Section II, Part 1 from:
Presidential elections shall be held in the month of February, June, and October to Presidential elections shall be held in the months of February, April, June, August, October, and December

Sponsor: Sen. DownWithDaLeft
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:44:21 PM »

If I may make a comment to the Senate...

I believe that two months just isn't enough time to set yourself up or wage a decent campaign... If you believe the term needs shortened, then what about three months?

I urge any Senator to make the amendment if they so desire, or defeat this bill and come back with something better.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 06:55:08 AM »

I would be very hesitant about changing to a 2-month Presidency and so would need strong arguments to vote in favour. I don't think that any problems ever had with the presidency have ever involved the length of term.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:23:37 PM »

When I introduced the bill we were in more struggling times, activity has picked up.  It seems to me that activity picks up at election times, so the way to increase activity is more elections.  Also, three months would be an acceptable amendment.  That would also allow senators to run in both presidential months and midterm months.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:11:34 PM »

I think 3 months or 6 months would be better.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 07:26:45 AM »

I'd just like to state a preference. I like 2 months but if that can't be done 3 is great as well. We need to remember that the fun part about this game is ELECTIONS! And, to keep up interest we should have the Presidential election more often.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 07:33:00 AM »

I'd just like to state a preference. I like 2 months but if that can't be done 3 is great as well. We need to remember that the fun part about this game is ELECTIONS! And, to keep up interest we should have the Presidential election more often.

Elections are a key part of the game.

Presidential elections are held every 4 months, Senatorial elections are held every two months, regional elections for governors and lt. governors are held at varying lengths also. Added to that there are votes on propositons and constitutional amendments held every so often as well. The people have many opportunities to cast ballots.

I don't favour the move to 2 months, in fact, I don't support changing the current term. Presidential campaigns have the potential to last for over a month as it is - reducing the term of office to two months would mean we would be in constant campaign mode. I also feel that a serious reduction in the term would devalue the office itself.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »

Elections are a key part of the game.

Presidential elections are held every 4 months, Senatorial elections are held every two months, regional elections for governors and lt. governors are held at varying lengths also. Added to that there are votes on propositons and constitutional amendments held every so often as well. The people have many opportunities to cast ballots.

I don't favour the move to 2 months, in fact, I don't support changing the current term. Presidential campaigns have the potential to last for over a month as it is - reducing the term of office to two months would mean we would be in constant campaign mode. I also feel that a serious reduction in the term would devalue the office itself.

As is the case with the United States activity here seems to go up as Presidential elections are coming more so than any other election. I can see that there could be a problem with a 2 month term but 3 seems very reasonable and I feel that it would help keep activity stable for the reasons that I just stated.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:58:32 AM »

I am against this change, the Presidential term length is fine the way it is.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »

I'm thinking of introducing an amendment to make it 3 months.  That cuts down on the time and allows senators to run in both presidential and midterm elections, not just one or the other.  Presidential elections tend to have more voters and therefore more competitive races perhaps for midterm senators that usually skate to reelection.  Also, regional senators would get to run in a midterm.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 07:43:18 AM »

I'm thinking of introducing an amendment to make it 3 months.  That cuts down on the time and allows senators to run in both presidential and midterm elections, not just one or the other.
There's nothing to prevent Senators running for both as is.

Presidential elections tend to have more voters and therefore more competitive races perhaps for midterm senators that usually skate to reelection.

More voters doesn't necessarily lead to more competitive elections, at all. More good candidates helps though.

Also, regional senators would get to run in a midterm.

This issue seems to be a serious concern for you. You don't need to change the lenght of term to achieve this. Just change when the term begings. Currently, Presidential elections are held concurrently with Regional Senators elections - just move the Presidential term (and election) one month forward (or backward) and this 'problem' would disappear.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2007, 07:49:46 AM »

This issue seems to be a serious concern for you. You don't need to change the lenght of term to achieve this. Just change when the term begings. Currently, Presidential elections are held concurrently with Regional Senators elections - just move the Presidential term (and election) one month forward (or backward) and this 'problem' would disappear.

My idea is to make it more like the American system of elections.  It seems like presidential elections as what creates the buzz around here.  We always seem to start one month out campaigning, so now campaigning will only have a 2 month break instead of 3.  It is pretty for Atlasia.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 07:51:48 AM »

Amendment

1. To change the amount of time between presidential elections to three months
Presidential elections shall be held in the month of February, June, and October to Presidential elections shall be held in the months of March, June, September, and December
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 08:31:16 PM »

I'm in favour of keeping the current system for right now. I have to agree that, while a two month system might make things interesting, it would make the actual ability for a President to govern nearly impossible. Add to that the two term term limit, which would make a President only able to be in the office for four months, and it would make continuity of leadership impossible and most likely make the office of the President even more impotent against an imperial Senate whose members can become entrenched in the office.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »

I generally oppose any attempts to change our grand Republic's Constitution, and I will oppose this change as well. I personally feel four months is enough for any one man to be in office as President, and that is the way it should stay, no more or less.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2007, 03:25:12 PM »

We are voting on this:
Amendment

Presidential elections shall be held in the month of February, June, and October to Presidential elections shall be held in the months of March, June, September, and December

Nay
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 03:31:13 PM »

Aye
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 03:41:47 PM »

Nay.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2007, 06:43:34 AM »

3 months is better than 2.

Aye
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2007, 07:47:43 AM »

Aye
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2007, 12:50:33 PM »

Nay.  I'd abstain, but given the nature of activity levels on this Forum, a presidential election in December does not appeal to me in the slightest.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:06 PM »

Nay, especially for the reasons given by Senator Ernest. The December election as it stands now has, on record throughout Atlasian history, one of the worst participation rates in comparison to other months. To place a Presidential election at that time, when forum activity levels are down for the Holidays, is quite a bad idea.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2007, 09:25:39 PM »

I will change my vote to Nay for the reasons given by Ernest and Colin. However, I do agree with Jas that 3 is better than 2, so I offer the amendment that elections would be in Feb, May, Aug, and Nov.

Presidential elections shall be held in the month of February, June, and October to Presidential elections shall be held in the months of February, May, August, and November.
 a. In the month of November, elections shall be held the weekend before Thanksgiving.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix