Pope Francis asks theologians to "demasculinize" the church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:08:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Pope Francis asks theologians to "demasculinize" the church
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis asks theologians to "demasculinize" the church  (Read 875 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2023, 12:49:54 PM »

VATICAN CITY (RNS) — Speaking to members of the International Theological Commission at the Vatican on Thursday (Nov. 30), Pope Francis asked theologians to “demasculinize” the church in an unscripted remark.

“There is something I don’t like about you, if you excuse my honesty,” said Pope Francis, pointing out that there were only five women among the 30-plus theologians. “We need to move forward on this! Women have a way of reflecting on theology that is different from us men,” he added.

The International Theological Commission is part of the Roman Curia and advises the Vatican doctrinal department on theological issues. The pope appoints its members, and women have been allowed to become members since 2004.

The pope said he studied the Italian theologian Romano Guardini through the work of a woman, Hanna-Barbara Gerl-Falkovitz, who impacted his understanding of women in theology. Francis also noted that at the next meeting with the Council of Cardinals, a body that advises him on church matters, they “will reflect on the role of women in the church.”

[...]

“The church is woman,” Francis told the theologians, “and if we cannot understand what a woman is, what is the theology of women, we will never understand the church. One of the great sins we have witnessed is ‘masculinizing’ the church.”

The pope charged those present with the task of reflecting on the role of women in the institution. “This is the job I ask of you, please: Demasculinize the church,” he said.

[...]

“It’s essential for you theologians to do this in sync with the People of God, from ‘below,’ with a preferential eye toward the poor and the simple, and at the same time ‘on your knees,’ because theology is born kneeling in adoration to God,” Francis said.
Religion News Service via MSN

Francis continues to be bae.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 01:06:57 PM »

There are a ton of crass jokes to be made here but I can't place any of them right now.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 01:28:30 PM »

One of the great sins we have witnessed is ‘masculinizing’ the church.

People tell me that the Great Schism is close to ending, but with comments like this I don't see it.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »

VATICAN CITY (RNS) — Speaking to members of the International Theological Commission at the Vatican on Thursday (Nov. 30), Pope Francis asked theologians to “demasculinize” the church in an unscripted remark.

“There is something I don’t like about you, if you excuse my honesty,” said Pope Francis, pointing out that there were only five women among the 30-plus theologians. “We need to move forward on this! Women have a way of reflecting on theology that is different from us men,” he added.

The International Theological Commission is part of the Roman Curia and advises the Vatican doctrinal department on theological issues. The pope appoints its members, and women have been allowed to become members since 2004.

The pope said he studied the Italian theologian Romano Guardini through the work of a woman, Hanna-Barbara Gerl-Falkovitz, who impacted his understanding of women in theology. Francis also noted that at the next meeting with the Council of Cardinals, a body that advises him on church matters, they “will reflect on the role of women in the church.”

[...]

“The church is woman,” Francis told the theologians, “and if we cannot understand what a woman is, what is the theology of women, we will never understand the church. One of the great sins we have witnessed is ‘masculinizing’ the church.”

The pope charged those present with the task of reflecting on the role of women in the institution. “This is the job I ask of you, please: Demasculinize the church,” he said.

[...]

“It’s essential for you theologians to do this in sync with the People of God, from ‘below,’ with a preferential eye toward the poor and the simple, and at the same time ‘on your knees,’ because theology is born kneeling in adoration to God,” Francis said.

This sounds like the equivalent of Susan Collins saying she's "deeply concerned" about Trump...I can't see anything he's actually doing here, just making statements.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 05:19:02 PM »

The Catholic Church is too gay, especially from the conservative side.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2023, 06:02:42 PM »

[...]

[...]

This sounds like the equivalent of Susan Collins saying she's "deeply concerned" about Trump...I can't see anything he's actually doing here, just making statements.

At least in the US ( Don't know about other countries ), Women leadership has greatly expanded in the last 4 decades.  They teach at seminaries, help lead dioceses, serve as consultants for the Bishops,

Indeed lay leadership as a whole ( male and female ) has expanded.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:58 AM »

So friggin based. This is Francis in his "no more f**ks left to give" era and I'm so here for it.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 12:32:49 PM »

So friggin based. This is Francis in his "no more f**ks left to give" era and I'm so here for it.

The past few weeks have seen a lot of the sort of stuff he'd have been saying and doing all along if the DICTATOR POPE!!!111ZOMGELEVENTY narrative weren't a crock of crap.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2023, 01:26:02 PM »

The past few weeks have seen a lot of the sort of stuff he'd have been saying and doing all along if the DICTATOR POPE!!!111ZOMGELEVENTY narrative weren't a crock of crap.

Yeah, almost like after a decade spent trying to meet these deranged goons halfway he finally realized it was a waste of time, that real Catholics were on his side and that the Church was better off without people who are only interested in using it as a political cudgel.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2023, 03:05:43 PM »

A friend told me there's a rumor that Francis is dying and making sure that his legacy continues. He said that 2/3 of potential successors support him. I don't know if any of that is true but I will be very sad when Francis goes, regardless of who succeeds him. I can only pray that the next Pope is someone with a similar vision and warmth.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2023, 05:55:22 PM »

People tell me that the Great Schism is close to ending, but with comments like this I don't see it.
The Orthodox Church really is undisputed for the mantle of the church of Christ, as the Biblical word of Yahweh is abandoned by Catholics entirely for cafeteria fare.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2023, 06:01:42 PM »

Is the pope Catholic?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2023, 10:31:56 AM »

The Orthodox Church really is undisputed for the mantle of the church of Christ, as the Biblical word of Yahweh is abandoned by Catholics entirely for cafeteria fare.

I would agree, but that wasn't my point there actually. Tongue Orthodox practice is more masculine-coded than the Catholic, so if he thinks Catholics are sinning in this regard then one must wonder what he thinks we're doing.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2023, 10:32:52 PM »

Will he allow female bishops?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 11:45:24 PM »

Pope Francis has previously said no to female ordination.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2023, 12:51:20 PM »

A friend told me there's a rumor that Francis is dying and making sure that his legacy continues. He said that 2/3 of potential successors support him. I don't know if any of that is true but I will be very sad when Francis goes, regardless of who succeeds him. I can only pray that the next Pope is someone with a similar vision and warmth.

He's had more and more health scares since 2020 or so and is at the age where any given new one could be nothing and could be the end; I have two relatives I'm close to who are about Francis's age and they're in similar situations, although they're sadly more inarticulate and "slowed-down" than he is. Hopefully he has a few more years in the tank, but he's definitely looking towards the Church after him.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2023, 10:49:30 PM »

I would agree, but that wasn't my point there actually. Tongue Orthodox practice is more masculine-coded than the Catholic, so if he thinks Catholics are sinning in this regard then one must wonder what he thinks we're doing.
The femininity of Christianity has always been low, this forceful pandering act in rediscovering the womanism under Christ has been the most glaring of casting aside Yahweh’s wishes for pandering.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies