I think I've "cracked" Minnesota and found a formula that determines the winner
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:23:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  I think I've "cracked" Minnesota and found a formula that determines the winner
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I think I've "cracked" Minnesota and found a formula that determines the winner  (Read 326 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2023, 05:41:49 PM »

Sort of. I learned of it playing around with some scenarios of areas needed to cancel out another area, and this seems pretty solid:

-Add together the totals and margins of the two strongest R congressional districts. Currently that's 6 and 7. Take the R margin of victory in vote totals from these together. That's Value X.
-Add together the totals and margins of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Just the cities themselves, not districts 4 and 5. Take the DFL vote margin of victory from this. That's Value Y.

If Y > X, then the DFL wins.
If X > Y, then the Republican wins.

And of course it's been a very long time since X > Y.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2023, 05:51:11 PM »

Sort of. I learned of it playing around with some scenarios of areas needed to cancel out another area, and this seems pretty solid:

-Add together the totals and margins of the two strongest R congressional districts. Currently that's 6 and 7. Take the R margin of victory in vote totals from these together. That's Value X.
-Add together the totals and margins of Minneapolis and St. Paul. Just the cities themselves, not districts 4 and 5. Take the DFL vote margin of victory from this. That's Value Y.

How does this hold up in, say, the 2006 and 2010 gubernatorials?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2023, 09:51:11 PM »

How does this hold up in, say, the 2006 and 2010 gubernatorials?
It may not, but I think it's pretty accurate now.

The thing is this: The other Republican seats are the 1st and 8th. Not as Republican and have significant DFL enclaves unless the 6th and 7th. But if they're running a bit more Republican, and the DFL has to cancel them out with votes from the suburbs, considering that the suburbs are probably less D in this scenario and plenty of the suburban territory is already pretty Republican...you can see the path.

But even for Keith Ellison 2022, he got a wider vote margin out of Minneapolis/St. Paul than the deficit he had in the two most conservative districts, as close as it was.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies