Could Texas elect a Joe Manchin type Democrat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:35:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Could Texas elect a Joe Manchin type Democrat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Could Texas elect a Joe Manchin type Democrat  (Read 1961 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2023, 09:03:29 AM »

Henry Cuellar is the figure I am thinking of, but there are other such figures. Could Texas elect such a figure in a Gov/Senator race(or even a downballot, but statewide position)?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2023, 12:49:43 PM »

I actually doubt, especially since such a candidate would bleed support from liberals and progressives. He'd lose more on that end than winning a few moderately conservative voters.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2023, 01:05:46 PM »

I actually doubt, especially since such a candidate would bleed support from liberals and progressives. He'd lose more on that end than winning a few moderately conservative voters.

The American left is not what it was back in 2016 or even 2020 where they were suicidal and eager to let Republicans win as often as possible. Roe v Wade changed that and finally made these idiots realize that things actually can get worse for them. The Democratic candidate would have to be someone really bad (literally Liz Cheney or something) for a sizable number of left-of-center voters to roll over and let Republicans win.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2023, 01:09:07 PM »

I doubt. First - there are very few Democratic officeholders of that type in the whole country, even less - in Texas. Second - yes, "bleeding on the left" is likely, though i fail to understand why: such candidate would be preferrable to, say, Cruz-type (or Trump-type) candidate by miles in 99+% of all possible situations. But "left" would rather lose with "their" candidate, then win with a moderate... Idiots....
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2023, 01:14:07 PM »

Yes — people are overthinking this. Beto O'Rourke came within three points of unseating a Republican Senator in 2018, and while the state's shift to the left has been exaggerated, it’s clearly no longer solidly Republican in Democratic wave midterms, especially with coalition shifts making turnout patterns in off-years far more favorable to Democrats.

Someone like Cuellar could certainly win statewide against the "right" Republican in the next GOP president's midterm. Even Cornyn's seat could be on the table in the right environment.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2023, 01:21:00 PM »

At one time he would've, but nowadays the political orientation is too polarized as he'd do much more to alienate liberals than attract conservatives.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »

At one time he would've, but nowadays the political orientation is too polarized as he'd do much more to alienate liberals than attract conservatives.

"I’m absolutely dying to vote against the sociopathic fascist in the White House in this midterm election, but I won’t vote for this Henry Cuellar guy over Ken Paxton in this competitive high-profile race where my TX vote finally counts because he sounds slightly too moderate to my liking and used a rifle in his ads"

Huh
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2023, 01:56:05 PM »

The same progressives who are apparently going to bite their nose and turnout for Biden are going to stay home for a moderate Dem?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2023, 01:59:58 PM »

Yes — people are overthinking this. Beto O'Rourke came within three points of unseating a Republican Senator in 2018, and while the state's shift to the left has been exaggerated, it’s clearly no longer solidly Republican in Democratic wave midterms, especially with coalition shifts making turnout patterns in off-years far more favorable to Democrats.

Someone like Cuellar could certainly win statewide against the "right" Republican in the next GOP president's midterm. Even Cornyn's seat could be on the table in the right environment.
Well thanks for pointing out that a candidate like Beto O' Rourke, a generic Texan democrat, can win in Texas.

Running a Joe Manchinite in Indiana didn't work, and one in Texas won't work as well.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »

Well thanks for pointing out that a candidate like Beto O' Rourke, a generic Texan democrat, can win in Texas.

Running a Joe Manchinite in Indiana didn't work, and one in Texas won't work as well.

You do realize that Joe Donnelly outperformed Clinton by 13 and Biden by 10 points, right?

I get that you’re blinded by your ideological beliefs, but please do not lose sight of the actual numbers.

Joe Manchin also won reelection in a Trump +42 state, so clearly he must have done something right.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 06:30:18 PM »

The American left is not what it was back in 2016 or even 2020 where they were suicidal and eager to let Republicans win as often as possible. Roe v Wade changed that and finally made these idiots realize that things actually can get worse for them. The Democratic candidate would have to be someone really bad (literally Liz Cheney or something) for a sizable number of left-of-center voters to roll over and let Republicans win.

I wish I shared your optimism.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 06:39:02 PM »

It could elect a generic Democrat as well.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2023, 06:48:41 PM »

That would be a waste when they're inching closer to electing a mainstream one.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2023, 08:14:51 PM »

I am not optimistic. The left is just clearly less vulnerable to suicidal third party crap than it was 4-8 years ago. I don't know if you followed the absolute brain rot cancer that was the progressive movement during that time, but they were literally celebrating Republicans beating people like Bill Nelson or Claire McCaskill because they were "no better than Republicans" and constantly accusing any Democratic candidate of being a neoliberal who didn't earn their vote if he didn't endorse specific Bernie Bro slogans like Medicare for All. That stuff has been declining for about four years now, and it really tanked hard after Dobbs. Leftwing people don't want Republicans to appoint anti-abortion judges or people that support "trans genocide" or other conservative agendas that they're worried about. It's the center and aimless swing voters who can't find the USA on a map that will go third party next year. 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2023, 08:58:13 PM »

I am not optimistic. The left is just clearly less vulnerable to suicidal third party crap than it was 4-8 years ago. I don't know if you followed the absolute brain rot cancer that was the progressive movement during that time, but they were literally celebrating Republicans beating people like Bill Nelson or Claire McCaskill because they were "no better than Republicans" and constantly accusing any Democratic candidate of being a neoliberal who didn't earn their vote if he didn't endorse specific Bernie Bro slogans like Medicare for All. That stuff has been declining for about four years now, and it really tanked hard after Dobbs. Leftwing people don't want Republicans to appoint anti-abortion judges or people that support "trans genocide" or other conservative agendas that they're worried about. It's the center and aimless swing voters who can't find the USA on a map that will go third party next year. 

No, I followed that stuff all too well. And I still see some of those same people claiming they'll vote Cornel West or even RFK Jr. or stay at home next year. I see little to no evidence whatsoever that these people have "come home" to the Democrats or are willing to "hold their noses" now for Biden. ESPECIALLY after the Israel conflict heated up, it's just gotten worse than it was back then if anything. I don't know what exactly you're seeing but it seems to directly conflict with what I'm seeing.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2023, 10:39:43 PM »

If only the other party would run candidates more in line with the party I support they would be more successful.

Sure it's possible a conservadem could win in Texas but it's unlikely for the same reasons moderate Republicans don't often win there, candidates well out of the mainstream of their party rarely win primaries. Democrats in TX-28 are much more conservative than Democrats statewide but Henry Cuellar has barely survived primary challenges the last two cycles.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 11:17:24 PM »

I don't think so.

Texas is not West Virginia.

Arizona elected a "Joe Manchin type Democrat" in Kyrsten Sinema and it hasn't been a success story.

Perhaps they can elect a Mark Kelly type Democrat, who is basically a mainstream Democrat that carries themselves as a moderate.

I think a blue dog type works well in an area that has trended away from Democrats, but maybe not so much in an ancestrally red area that has trended towards Democrats.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2023, 12:52:02 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2023, 08:19:52 AM by smoltchanov »

If nothing else - such candidates (and their "mirrors" in Republican party) would return intrigue to US elections. Which are now as interesting as ... cactus in Mojave Desert (in fact - even less as there are different varieties of cactuses)  - almost all candidates have utterly predictable positions, and almost all elections are predictable too, as their results closely mirrors last presidenrial numbers. The only exception on high level i know now - Phil Scott, and when he retires - ... (no, even JBE is NOT a "conservative Democrat" in general, though he is a conservative on choice and few other selected issues). I mentioned many times, that i have on my booshelf the first edition of "The Almanac of American politics" (1971-1972). There was a time, when US politics was really interesting: you had not only Phil Byrton and Bella Abzug, but John Dowdy, Thomas Abernethy and Jim Eastland as Democratic candidates (whole political spectrum, and, btw, the Civil Rights issue was generally resolved by that time, so - almost no open racists), and looking on Republicans - not only James Utt, Paul Fannin and Barry Goldwater (who would pass for moderate now) - but Clifford Case, Jacob Javits and Charles Whalen too. You could get almost every pair of possible candidates in general election, including unheard now (like pro-choice Republican against pro-life Democrat). It's in that time i became seriously interested in US poliics. Now - no more: it's simply an old (50+ years) habit, with rare interesting "moments"....
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 01:16:22 AM »

I doubt somebody like that could win a primary.
Goofball McBalls
United States
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 08:04:22 AM »

Henry Cuellar is the figure I am thinking of, but there are other such figures. Could Texas elect such a figure in a Gov/Senator race(or even a downballot, but statewide position)?
Well, Cuellar was raided by the fbi so,
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 09:25:15 AM »

They triaged TX already it's purely wave insurance as long as there aren't any polls showing Allred winning he is losing but never say never he can still win but get Kunce and Tester in are the Act blue priorities Brown is gonna win no DeWine
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2023, 09:37:39 AM »

Someone like Manchin (i.e. a ConservaDem trying desperately to out-Republican the Republicans) would underperform badly.  So would Cueller (a corrupt and scandal-ridden Congressman from the wrong part of the state who is out of touch with the Democratic mainstream in his state and thoroughly despised outside his base).  

I think anyone answering “yes” to OP’s question fundamentally misunderstands the current party coalitions in Texas, as well as what a Democratic path to statewide victory will look like when it next happens.  The rural areas are long gone; that early-to-mid 2000s ConservaDem “blame other Democrats first, second, and third” garbage isn’t what it’s about anymore and Manchin is the personification of that except that he’s also a corporate shill who lacks the populist streak some of these guys had.

As for the Rio Grande Valley, yes, you want to stop the bleeding.  However, we have two datapoints.  The 2020 cycle suggested a major trend.  The 2022 cycle suggested the bleeding here has more or less stopped.  Either way, the gains in the metros/suburbs easily more than wipe out any loses here in statewide races.  The bleeding here is more of a problem in congressional and state legislative races.  

The Democrats need a solid center-left, suburbia-friendly candidate who can make even bigger strides in the greater Dallas-Fort Worth metro and turbo-charge Harris County Democratic turnout (which hasn’t been what it needs to be and is currently the single biggest obstacle to a statewide Democratic victory in Texas), and get the reliably massive Travis County turnout while making even greater inroads in places like Bell and Williamson counties.  

I think Lizzie Pennell Fletcher is currently the best candidate Democrats could run here, but she’s much better off waiting until 2030 to take on Ted Cruz.  As it stands, the 2024 Senate race is Lean R.  Allred is a strong recruit, but I don’t think he’s the right guy to crack the code in Texas and it may still be too early.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2023, 09:44:25 AM »

A candidate moderate on energy and guns, but mainstream democrat out of that would be a better shot. Also, the caniddate should avoid being seen as out of touch and have clear stances for farmers, but that's not being a blue dog.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2023, 12:03:49 PM »

As I said before it's very difficult for ALLRED to win but can he win certainly, TX is changing more demographic than FL, but it's upset potentially not a sure thing but it's better chance than MS and LA
GAinDC

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2023, 03:13:46 PM »

Running a a conservadem in a red state with very liberal areas, like Texas, just doesn’t work.

They likely won’t make it past a primary, and if they do, they won’t get the turnout they need from progressives. And the conservatives will just vote Republican.

Democrats need to just keep investing in Texas until a mainstream Dem can win there.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies