Connecticut Archbishop calls for Women deacons and moving the Vatican out of Rome.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:34:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Connecticut Archbishop calls for Women deacons and moving the Vatican out of Rome.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Connecticut Archbishop calls for Women deacons and moving the Vatican out of Rome.  (Read 613 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2023, 08:12:45 PM »

https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/256090/connecticut-archbishop-calls-for-female-deacons-moving-vatican-out-of-rome
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 09:09:02 PM »

>“We need to put it someplace [else]. It’s too Roman,” Coyne said.
>“That would be the first thing I’d say,” he continued. “Is there any way we can move out of Rome and just kind of start over with a different bureaucracy?”
>The prelate pointed out that many Catholics who leave the Church say that they end up at “megachurches.”
>Coyne further said he hopes at some point to have the chance to ordain women deacons.
>Also he's from Connecticut

wow this guy is literally me
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 09:57:52 PM »

Um, I'm not sure many cities other than Rome would allow the Catholic Church to set up an independent state within it. And I'm not sure the Catholic Church would like a secular government and court system having authority over them.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 10:58:28 PM »

Um, I'm not sure many cities other than Rome would allow the Catholic Church to set up an independent state within it. And I'm not sure the Catholic Church would like a secular government and court system having authority over them.
Maybe not within the heart of the city, but the area of the Vatican City is tiny- it would be quite easy to just hand over a plot of farmland on the outskirts of a city.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 11:27:36 PM »

>“We need to put it someplace [else]. It’s too Roman,” Coyne said.
>“That would be the first thing I’d say,” he continued. “Is there any way we can move out of Rome and just kind of start over with a different bureaucracy?”
>The prelate pointed out that many Catholics who leave the Church say that they end up at “megachurches.”
>Coyne further said he hopes at some point to have the chance to ordain women deacons.
>Also he's from Connecticut

wow this guy is literally me

Sounds like this guy has just invented mainline Protestantism.

1. Move the ROMAN Catholic Church out of Rome.

2. “Just kind of start over with a different bureaucracy.”

3. Women deacons.

Literally dude, the Episcopalian Church is right there!
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 12:19:56 AM »

The church is actively considering women deacons so nothing radical there. His talk about moving the Church out of Rome is pure word salad (read the article). I wouldn't be surprised if it's outright heretical, from a Catholic POV.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 12:25:12 AM »

The church is actively considering women deacons so nothing radical there. His talk about moving the Church out of Rome is pure word salad (read the article). I wouldn't be surprised if it's outright heretical, from a Catholic POV.

I mean the Papacy spent almost a century in Avignon, so it's not necessarily a crazily heretical idea.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2023, 12:51:26 PM »

I have met Coyne and like him (and Alben, he's still much more what we tend to consider "Catholic" theopolitically than the vast majority of Episcopalian prelates these days), but moving the Pope or the Curia out of Rome is a non-starter, for practical rather than doctrinal reasons. Decentralizing certain power structures away from the Curia is a good idea, though; I agree with him on it and at least in principle so does Pope Francis.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2023, 08:37:16 AM »

This, plus anywhere else would just be even more arbitrary and unduly influential as a seat for the Church (except maybe Jerusalem, but that would be the ultimate non-starter for different reasons).
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2023, 01:14:13 PM »

I have met Coyne and like him (and Alben, he's still much more what we tend to consider "Catholic" theopolitically than the vast majority of Episcopalian prelates these days), but moving the Pope or the Curia out of Rome is a non-starter, for practical rather than doctrinal reasons. Decentralizing certain power structures away from the Curia is a good idea, though; I agree with him on it and at least in principle so does Pope Francis.

Yes, this feels a bit like "We should move the US capital west because California and Texas are now the largest states."  While I would reject the idea that Rome is a uniquely holy city or that the Vatican/Pope should go out of their way to stay there after a nuclear war or something, this issue is already solved by airplanes and electronic communication.  No need to disrupt a very longstanding tradition.

As noted elsewhere, do I agree 100% with him on women as deacons.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2023, 03:44:48 PM »

I realize this comes late.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »