Biden unlikely to be charged in classified doc probe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:25:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden unlikely to be charged in classified doc probe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Biden unlikely to be charged in classified doc probe  (Read 1771 times)
emailking
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2024, 03:02:34 PM »

Special counsel report concludes Biden willfully retained classified information but will not face charges

Special counsel Robert Hur released a searing report Thursday that concluded President Joe Biden willfully retained and disclosed classified military and national security information but will not face charges after a year-long investigation into his handling of classified documents.

"We concluded that no criminal charges are warranted in this matter,” Hur concluded. “We would reach the same conclusion even if Department of Justice policy did not foreclose criminal charges against a sitting president.”

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/biden-classified-documents-report-02-08-24/index.html

400 page document.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2024, 03:03:57 PM »

The thing is, I imagine every major president and elected official has kept classified information. Biden did, Pence did, Trump did, I bet Obama did, etc. The difference is that Biden and Pence let officials do their investigation. Trump thwarted them at every turn - and it's clear his handling of classified information was insanely more egregious and not even in comparison to Biden's.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2024, 03:05:44 PM »

Agreed Trump is way worse but willful retention & disclosure is pretty bad. I was under the assumption it was all accidental. Maybe we'll learn more as they go through the details of the report.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2024, 03:09:19 PM »

The thing is, I imagine every major president and elected official has kept classified information. Biden did, Pence did, Trump did, I bet Obama did

Stop besmirching Obama's reputation and tarnishing his character when there is absolutely 0 evidence that he ever did any such thing.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2024, 03:28:14 PM »

Biden chose not to have any of the report redacted for executive privilege.

Hur says in the report that he found Biden to be a well intentioned man with memory problems, who when the problem was brought to his attention did everything he could to correct it.
JMT

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2024, 03:33:09 PM »

This sounds… really bad. The GOP is going to have a field day with this:

Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2024, 03:34:31 PM »

I don’t think anyone will care given how old Trump is.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2024, 03:38:17 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 03:41:44 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

The thing is, I imagine every major president and elected official has kept classified information. Biden did, Pence did, Trump did, I bet Obama did, etc.

Great, charge all of them with crimes. It's what they would do to me and anyone else deemed "unimportant".

There is how justice works for the paeans, and then there's how justice works for everyone in Washington, and it is completely 100% different. If I did what Biden, Trump, Pence, Obama, etc. did and cited "bad memory", I'd at best be reprimanded in a work review and at worst told to go get a new job. Why politicians are allowed to view classified documents outside of a SCIF is a damned good question.

You know, I bet Bob Menendez, former Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, had personal possession of classified documents that he shouldn't have had. What do you think happened with those? Did he let an Egyptian gentleman view them at his house? How do you know he didn't?
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2024, 03:39:49 PM »

The report is devastating, how do you spin your own Justice Department essentially calling you mentally unfit? Biden is doing the entire party a disservice by continuing to run.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2024, 03:51:48 PM »

That honestly needs clarification and verification. The reason this makes me skpetical is that Biden continues to deliver results and besides from the usual gaffes (which he always had) still seems overall sharp in public, even aside from the teleprompter. If it was this bad, he couldn't function so effectively as president. Of course there's senior staff, but you can't put them in charge for everything. He's the president.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2024, 03:54:01 PM »

Biden should drop out at the DNC and democrats should replace him with Beshear
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2024, 03:55:42 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 04:01:34 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

That honestly needs clarification and verification. The reason this makes me skpetical is that Biden continues to deliver results and besides from the usual gaffes (which he always had) still seems overall sharp in public, even aside from the teleprompter. If it was this bad, he couldn't function so effectively as president. Of course there's senior staff, but you can't put them in charge for everything. He's the president.

Are you kidding? Woodrow Wilson was almost a corpse the last year of his presidency and his Cabinet ran the country.

Democrats seem to have a very 1944ish strategy of get Biden elected and then he'll be replaced. I don't think they believe they can do or have the stomach to do the other half of the 1944 strategy (replace the VP).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2024, 03:58:52 PM »

Are you kidding? Woodrow Wilson was almost a corpse the last year of his presidency and his Cabinet ran the country.

Over 100 years ago, when the media and entire public spotlight was extremely different. Not to mention the government functioned differently. It's not really a good comparison. That's why I wrote the information should be clarified. I wouldn't just dismiss the report, but not take it at face value either.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2024, 04:03:21 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 04:10:00 PM by Open Source Intelligence »

Over 100 years ago, when the media and entire public spotlight was extremely different. Not to mention the government functioned differently. It's not really a good comparison. That's why I wrote the information should be clarified. I wouldn't just dismiss the report, but not take it at face value either.

The executive branch has greatly increased in size from over 100 years ago too. That means a lot of people high up in the bureaucracy operate with effectively little presidential oversight. (Could be why the Defense Department didn't see any reason to inform the presidential administration on Secretary Austin going AWOL a month ago.) And that's true regardless of who is President or how effective they are. If the President spent 16 hours every week on how all the Cabinet departments were running, he would only be giving each 1 hour per week. And I don't believe anyone thinks that's happening.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2024, 04:18:21 PM »

Biden should drop out at the DNC and democrats should replace him with Beshear

Beshear would never get the support of the Democratic Base.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »

The report is devastating, how do you spin your own Justice Department essentially calling you mentally unfit? Biden is doing the entire party a disservice by continuing to run.
It's not from his own Justice Department, but a special counsel, and it's well known that Hur is a partisan Republican, not exactly a "hack" in the vein of those weirdos on Trump's team, but it's hardly shocking that he would push a spin like this. Really this is kind of a justification from him for not recommending any charges.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2024, 04:38:21 PM »

It's not from his own Justice Department, but a special counsel, and it's well known that Hur is a partisan Republican, not exactly a "hack" in the vein of those weirdos on Trump's team, but it's hardly shocking that he would push a spin like this. Really this is kind of a justification from him for not recommending any charges.

A special counsel appointed by his own AG.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2024, 04:41:40 PM »

Republican hack is still a Republican hack.  All that and more at 11:00.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2024, 04:44:16 PM »

They didn’t.  This was a report by a well-known right-wing hack with the credibility of a pile of toenail clippings.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2024, 04:46:13 PM »

I don’t think anyone will care given how old Trump is.

Which -- and I say this as no particular fan of Joe Biden -- actually represents a quite weird double standard. While the clips I've seen of both men have clearly been selected, Trump seems to have around as many obviously non-lucid moments as Biden. (Given the median age of the electorate in the late 50s, of course, this is not necessarily even a disadvantage: I remember in 2019 I kept noticing that Biden's polling numbers tended to go up whenever the media covered his gaffes, and all of AAD kept refusing to believe me. I suspect geriatric identity politics is an underrated influence in many democracies.)

Anyway, Hur is indeed a partisan Republican and you can let that color your report, but it's obviously damning. If it doesn't cause voters to change their minds -- and indeed I suspect it won't -- then that is substantially an indictment of the voters.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2024, 05:25:27 PM »

Anyway, Hur is indeed a partisan Republican and you can let that color your report, but it's obviously damning. If it doesn't cause voters to change their minds -- and indeed I suspect it won't -- then that is substantially an indictment of the voters.

Change their mind in the primary or change their mind in the general vs Trump?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2024, 08:02:19 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2024, 08:05:38 PM by emailking »

Agreed Trump is way worse but willful retention & disclosure is pretty bad. I was under the assumption it was all accidental. Maybe we'll learn more as they go through the details of the report.

Biden is pushing back on this, saying the media has mischaracterized what the SC found. There are certainly passages in the report that say he didn't willfully retain this or there isn't evidence he willfully retained that. I don't know what the truth of it is.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2024, 08:04:36 PM »

Biden says he takes responsibility for not having seen what his staff was doing, moving things in and out of his home.

He's pushing back hard on the memory issue.

He says he did not share classified information with his ghost writer.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2024, 08:05:59 PM »

Watching Ds fall for this hook, line, and sinker makes me so ashamed to be a member of this party. It's full of useful idiots. People are falling for the most obvious hit maneuver of the last three years.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2024, 08:09:08 PM »

He just said he convinced the President of Mexico to allow humanitarian assistance into Gaza. oops.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies