opinions of these various forms of protest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:55:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  opinions of these various forms of protest
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: which of these various forms of protest do you (generally) find acceptable
blocking traffic of randos

preventing people from leaving

preventing people from entering

going to someone's home

going to someone's home at night and being loud

going to someone else's protest and preventing them from protesting

violence (punching a "Nazi", metal spikes in trees))

using lawyers to file nuisance lawsuits

using symbols (BLM graffiti, swastikas,"in this house we believe.." signs, cross burnings)

driving the speed limit in a group on purpose to cause traffic to protest speed limits

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: opinions of these various forms of protest  (Read 528 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 16, 2023, 03:01:29 PM »

I did not include ones that were super obviously always an acceptable form of protest (peaceful marches, press releases, vigils, picket lines (assuming they allow people to pass)), as that would be boring (though I think one may have snuck through).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2023, 02:37:35 PM »

this one is hard I guess.  If it makes it easier, which of these should be available to be used by your political enemies?  (except the speed limit thing)
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 03:44:06 PM »

Spray-painted swastikas always get my vote!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 10:43:57 PM »

Define "acceptable". Are you asking us if they should be legal?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 11:15:01 PM »

9 and 10 seem obviously acceptable (like, some of the symbols you chose in 9 are very offensive, but the tactic overall is fine).

8 depends on what you mean by "nuisance", but I'm going to lean towards no. Filing frivolous lawsuits is a crime in serious countries and in America is a serious violation of bar ethics.

The remainder all seem pretty clearly unacceptable. Voted 9 and 10 only.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 12:08:02 AM »

acceptable-you may not like the message or the messenger, but you have no problem with the method the message is being deliverd

you like the environment, but you find blocking traffic to "get the word out" is a stupid tactic no matter the message.

It's different than legality in that it probably shouldn't be illegal to go to someone's home to let them know you don't like how you think they're going to vote on bond measure, but you really shouldn't do it.  There are much better and less creepy ways to let them know what you're thinking.  It's certainly illegal everywhere (that matters) to block traffic, but perhaps you think letting people know that beef is murder is worth getting arrested and fined.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 12:13:05 AM »

9 and 10 seem obviously acceptable (like, some of the symbols you chose in 9 are very offensive, but the tactic overall is fine).

8 depends on what you mean by "nuisance", but I'm going to lean towards no. Filing frivolous lawsuits is a crime in serious countries and in America is a serious violation of bar ethics.

The remainder all seem pretty clearly unacceptable. Voted 9 and 10 only.
yeah, I'm not happy with how past dead0man worded number 9.  Obviously it's fine to have a bumper sticker or a sign in your yard telling people about how they're going to hell or what a great Alderman John Wiener is.  It probably should have only been "negative" examples of symbol placement like on someone else's property.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2023, 03:21:24 AM »

Case by case basis, but for the purposes of this poll I selected all of them
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2023, 09:32:00 AM »

Blocking traffic and using symbols are generally acceptable. The rest depend a lot on context.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2023, 01:46:02 PM »

acceptable-you may not like the message or the messenger, but you have no problem with the method the message is being deliverd

you like the environment, but you find blocking traffic to "get the word out" is a stupid tactic no matter the message.

Then my answer is N/A. Whether or not I find a protest "acceptable" depends on whether or not I agree with it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2023, 01:52:01 PM »

Then my answer is N/A. Whether or not I find a protest "acceptable" depends on whether or not I agree with it.
so you don't think people who you disagree with can ever protest in an acceptable manner?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »

the entire point is to remove the "case by case basis" to find out what types of protest you think should be able to be used by people you disagree with.  Do you think the only acceptable forms of protest are ones with a message you agree with?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2023, 02:39:05 PM »

so you don't think people who you disagree with can ever protest in an acceptable manner?

Using the term "acceptable" as you defined it above, no.

I think that it should be 100% legal, but I will never "support" it. For example, I'd oppose a Nazi standing peacefully holding a pro-Nazi sign, even if I think he shouldn't be arrested for it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2023, 10:51:46 AM »

the entire point is to remove the "case by case basis" to find out what types of protest you think should be able to be used by people you disagree with.  Do you think the only acceptable forms of protest are ones with a message you agree with?

You kind of have to view this on a case by case basis though? If someone asked me "is assassination an acceptable thing to do?" I would probably think yes if we are talking about Hitler, no if it's a local MP who made a bad vote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies