Will the parties switch on policing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:07:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will the parties switch on policing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the parties switch on policing?  (Read 691 times)
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2023, 06:08:29 PM »

Currently, Republicans are more supportive of police than Democrats. Republicans support increased police funding and are more trustful of the institution of the police; they generally view instances of police brutality as isolated incidents. Democrats oppose increased police funding and are more skeptical of the institution of the police; they generally view instances of police brutality as part of a systemic problem.

Will this change in the future? Will Democrats become more supportive of increased police funding, more trustful of the institution of the police, and start viewing instances of police brutality as isolated incidents? Will Republicans become less supporting of increased police funding, less trustful of the institution of the police, and start viewing instances of police brutality as part of a systemic problem?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 06:17:09 PM »

I could see it. Considering how quickly and successfully Republicans downplayed and white washed Jan. 6th among their base tells me if more acts of right wing political violence happen and especially if it leads to a high profile figure getting hurt or killed, I could very easily see the tables turning with regard to policing.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »

Parties don't "switch" on things.  That's just too simplistic.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 08:43:35 PM »

Not as long as the front-runner is advocating for extrajudicial executions and the death penalty for drug dealers, although when it comes to federal officers (FBI, CIA, Capitol), we've already seen opposition. that I anticipate will grow which each new indictment.
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2023, 04:39:01 PM »

I could see it. Considering how quickly and successfully Republicans downplayed and white washed Jan. 6th among their base tells me if more acts of right wing political violence happen and especially if it leads to a high profile figure getting hurt or killed, I could very easily see the tables turning with regard to policing.
Do you think the parties will switch on the death penalty?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2023, 08:37:42 PM »

Do you think the parties will switch on the death penalty?
I can't wait until 2040 when the Republican Party becomes today's Democratic Party and the Democratic Party becomes today's Republican Party.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 09:10:21 PM »

They'd rather fight than switch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Us_Tareyton_smokers_would_rather_fight_than_switch!#/media/File:1965tareytonad.jpg
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »

No. Police are structurally conservative, the same way the civil service is structurally Dem. Parties will not switch on them. Furthermore, the reason Dems can be anti-police is because the black community distrusts them. Since black voters will continue to be an important Dem constituency, I do not see why this should change.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2023, 07:31:27 PM »

The biggest base of voters for Democrats are the black community, a demographic known to be oppressed by the police. There would be no switch in support, not even if that meant dealing with labor issues, as one party is not going to pull their voters away to gain the support of a group that has a hostile reaction to your policies.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies