Describe a Vladimir Putin/Joe Biden voter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:17:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Describe a Vladimir Putin/Joe Biden voter
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe a Vladimir Putin/Joe Biden voter  (Read 522 times)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2023, 06:26:37 PM »

I'm guessing a Russian millennial with dual citizenship. Either that or a Russian Jew who votes Democrat out of party/ancestral loyalty, but liked Putin's stance towards Israel at the time.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 06:33:05 PM »

Do threads like these ever result in positive discussion?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »

Probably a bigger group than one might think.

I feel like this post is relevant:

From what I've heard, a lot of Brazilian Americans love Bolsonaro but vote for Democrats, including Hillary and Biden, in America. Sort of like how many Indian-Americans love Modi and the BJP but vote for Democrats in America, including Hillary and Biden. They love nationalism in their home countries, but are far more negative towards it in a country where they are immigrants and in the minority.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2023, 06:52:03 PM »

Don't think there will be that many; how many people even vote in Russian 'elections' from abroad, let alone for Putin? Seems like a pointless exercise given that the result isn't exactly in doubt. So either this person would have to be pressured into voting in the Russian election (but how, if they don't live there?) so, or they're a massive Putin fan, in which case voting for Biden seems really implausible. If this person is actually in Russia, being pressured into voting for Putin seems possible but voting for Biden then also seems unlikely.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 04:55:28 AM »

From what I've heard, a lot of Brazilian Americans love Bolsonaro but vote for Democrats, including Hillary and Biden, in America. Sort of like how many Indian-Americans love Modi and the BJP but vote for Democrats in America, including Hillary and Biden. They love nationalism in their home countries, but are far more negative towards it in a country where they are immigrants and in the minority.
People sorely overestimate how much you can tell by someone's voting patterns in one country by looking at how they vote in another country.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 12:02:01 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2023, 01:52:48 PM by Stranger in a strange land »

I'm guessing a Russian millennial with dual citizenship. Either that or a Russian Jew who votes Democrat out of party/ancestral loyalty, but liked Putin's stance towards Israel at the time.
The former is most likely the type of person who goes with the flow, isn't very political, doesn't follow news or politics closely, and just votes based on "vibes". This is way more common than people on here realize because most of us are here because we live and breathe politics. It's also possible they might have voted for Putin back when they lived in Russia because they received some sort of incentive to do so.

The latter is much harder to see: Russian Jews whose families have lived in the US long enough to have "ancestral loyalty" to the Democratic Party aren't Russian citizens, don't have strong connections to Russia,* don't speak Russian, and won't vote in Russian elections, especially since there's basically no point in doing so. This type of person also isn't going to seek out Russian citizenship, even if they're eligible for it, because if they want another passport, Israeli citizenship is easier to obtain, actually has some tangible benefits, and doesn't come with the considerable baggage that Russian citizenship carried even before 2022.

*On a somewhat related note, it wouldn't surprise me if we see a substantial drop in Russian Jews and an equally substantial rise in Ukrainian Jews next census.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 03:22:57 PM »

Random old middle class leftist latinoamerican
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 03:31:16 PM »

Someone who just votes for whomever the media tells them to.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 04:01:45 PM »

Well given that Russian elections are fake anyway, there's probably a somewhat reasonable chance that someone who's emigrated from Russia to the US since 2000 has voted for both if they do have somewhat left-leaning or centrist views.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 10:13:03 PM »

A duel Russian-American citizen. Someone who thought Putin was a reformer in 2000. If he voted for Putin in 2004 or 2012, someone who felt pressure from family.

Considering it takes 5-10 years for an immigrant to become a US citizen, I doubt there were many people who were in Russia and voted for Putin in 2018 and than voted for Biden in 2020
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2023, 02:01:35 AM »

I personally am friends from college with an Indian who loves Modi but strongly prefers Democrats in America.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2023, 10:34:24 AM »

Russian immigrant who voted for Putin in his first election, believing him to be the suave reformer Russia needed amidst the collapse of the Societ Union. Turns back on Putin after the invasion of Georgia in 2008 and leaves the nation for America. The individual becomes strident against Russia policies in the intervening years, leading to becoming a Democrat after Trump has become a strong backer of Putin. Votes for Biden in 2020 ultimately as the candidate that will push back the culmination of Russia in the Eastern world.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies