Which opinion is stupider to hold in 2023?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:11:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Which opinion is stupider to hold in 2023?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ^
Believing that the Falklands are rightfully Argentina's

Believing that OJ Simpson was innocent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Which opinion is stupider to hold in 2023?  (Read 486 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2023, 01:28:13 AM »

Hard to choose.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 11:07:20 PM »

By process of elimination, I'll choose the first is stupider. What is stupid about jury verdicts like O.J. Simpson (or Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.) is believing that this or that jury verdict is wrong as if you have access to more information about the facts of the case than the jury did. I NEVER form any opinion of my own about criminal cases that receive so much attention in the news -- should the jury convict or not -- because no matter how much information is being spread in the news about the facts of a case, it probably is not as much information as the jury itself sees and hears; besides that, it simply isn't my call to make. We have trial by jury in the Bill of Rights, not trial by public opinion. So why expend any of my energy trying to study news about the cases and form an opinion of my own about who deserves to be convicted or acquitted? I always accept as inevitable that juries and courts of appeals know more than I do. So to me it's stupid to believe that this or that jury made a mistake.
LBJer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 07:56:21 AM »

By process of elimination, I'll choose the first is stupider. What is stupid about jury verdicts like O.J. Simpson (or Kyle Rittenhouse, etc.) is believing that this or that jury verdict is wrong as if you have access to more information about the facts of the case than the jury did. I NEVER form any opinion of my own about criminal cases that receive so much attention in the news -- should the jury convict or not -- because no matter how much information is being spread in the news about the facts of a case, it probably is not as much information as the jury itself sees and hears; besides that, it simply isn't my call to make. We have trial by jury in the Bill of Rights, not trial by public opinion. So why expend any of my energy trying to study news about the cases and form an opinion of my own about who deserves to be convicted or acquitted? I always accept as inevitable that juries and courts of appeals know more than I do. So to me it's stupid to believe that this or that jury made a mistake.

So in other words you're suggesting we should suspend our powers of thought and reason and have blind faith in bodies composed of humans who are just as fallible as anyone else.  No thanks.  Having more knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to making the right decision.  By your logic, people shouldn't question the foreign policy decisions of presidents or other national leaders since they will have more information (intelligence briefings, etc.) about the issue than the public will.  
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 09:38:54 PM »

So in other words you're suggesting we should suspend our powers of thought and reason and have blind faith in bodies composed of humans who are just as fallible as anyone else.  No thanks.  Having more knowledge doesn't necessarily equate to making the right decision.  By your logic, people shouldn't question the foreign policy decisions of presidents or other national leaders since they will have more information (intelligence briefings, etc.) about the issue than the public will.  

You made a straw man right at the very beginning. Why should I pay attention to anything else in your post?
LBJer
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 11:36:16 PM »

You made a straw man right at the very beginning.

It wasn't a straw man--it was a very reasonable interpretation of your post.  As the saying goes, if the shoe fits...
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 04:54:33 AM »

An impossible choice.

I honestly can't pick it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend