NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign  (Read 2250 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2023, 06:30:54 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2023, 12:53:00 AM by Kyrsten's Krazy Clout Chase »

Well of course. Once again Blue MAGA has no defense for their behavior so they resort to deflection and whataboutery.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2023, 07:54:52 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Brown somewhat hints at a campaign:

"Congressman Brian Higgins has delivered exceptional results for Buffalo & Western New York during his time in Washington. He has helped shape the renaissance in our area, including his great leadership on Waterfront Development. It's been an honor to stand with him and work with him on so many key projects for the benefit of the residents of the City of Buffalo and our region. I wish Congressman Higgins nothing but the best in his future endeavors. When the appropriate time comes, I look forward to a conversation about the future of this very diverse district so it can meet the needs of all of our residents." (WKBW)

I hope not, he’s a 65 year old who doesn’t respect primary results

Two years later and I will once again reiterate that Walton threatened to run against Brown on the Working Families Party line had she lost the primary. She literally was going to do what you trash Brown for doing.

I find it hard to criticize someone for something they hypothetically could have done when the person we're discussing is demonstrably guilty of that thing.

Exactly. It sucks for many when a long time incumbent looses a primary, Joe Crowley being the archetypical example, but even Crowley knew better then to run a write in or third party.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2023, 08:30:48 PM »

Kilmer and Higgens both out this week. Morgan McGarvey and Kevin Mullin may be the only straight white Christian male democrats in congress by 2030.

Harder, Deluzio, Golden, Ryan, Crow, Moulton, Boyle, Stanton, Mrvan, Himes…

Yeah I wasn’t being serious. It does seem to be a group that is getting smaller each cycle though.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2023, 01:18:02 PM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2023, 02:48:38 PM »

So we’ll likely have a special/general combo
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2023, 03:22:19 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2023, 04:42:13 PM by Kander2020 »

So trying to understand NYS election law correctly, with the resignation coming in February, it'll be a Special Election in April of a Erie County Democratic Committee-appointed nominee (likely Tim Kennedy, Byron Brown, or some other aligned Democrat) vs. some last-second GOP nominee; followed by a primary to conclude in June (where you'll likely see others, such as Nate McMurray, run), followed by the normal general election in November?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2023, 04:32:21 PM »

Walton reconsidering her exit:

Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2023, 04:51:04 PM »

The biggest LOL moment of the decade is if she runs and loses to a write in again
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2023, 05:24:16 PM »

The biggest LOL moment of the decade is if she runs and loses to a write in again

Has also tweeted in the last hour if the Squad has room for a 9th, and that Biden is complicit in a genocide in Palestine, so her odds just fell off even further.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2023, 05:58:05 PM »

Well, there's no chance the county parties will pick her as the nominee for the special.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2023, 06:07:55 PM »

It's most likely not the same district shape as it was in 2004, but his was one of the few competitive races in the 2004 House election.  Jack Quinn (R) retired and he was up for the seat against Nancy Naples (R) and he won 50.7% - 49.3%.   He proceeded to win landslides in 2006 and 2008.  Even in 2010, he received about 60%.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2023, 06:08:59 PM »

Walton now facing off against some of the bigger names of Election Twitter.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2023, 06:42:04 PM »

It's most likely not the same district shape as it was in 2004, but his was one of the few competitive races in the 2004 House election.  Jack Quinn (R) retired and he was up for the seat against Nancy Naples (R) and he won 50.7% - 49.3%.   He proceeded to win landslides in 2006 and 2008.  Even in 2010, he received about 60%.

Note that Higgins represented the 27th district at the time
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2023, 10:12:38 PM »

I'll wait and see on this one. Kennedy seems solid and actually like a team player, plus I've started to drift away from the Squad in recent times.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2023, 10:30:46 PM »

I'll wait and see on this one. Kennedy seems solid and actually like a team player, plus I've started to drift away from the Squad in recent times.

Is this because you think they’ve gone too far, or because you think they haven’t gone far enough?
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2023, 10:42:17 PM »

Is this because you think they’ve gone too far, or because you think they haven’t gone far enough?

We've always been fairly far apart on foreign policy - I'm much closer to a standard Democrat in that department. Generally my priorities are more economic, and on police issues we disagree on praxis. 
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2023, 07:00:02 AM »

Tim Kennedy in, as expected:

We have to continue the renaissance that’s begun and I’m looking forward to continuing the progress that Congressman Higgins led the charge on for the last 19 years,” Kennedy said in an exclusive interview with The Buffalo News in which he announced his candidacy, shortly after Higgins announced he was leaving Congress. “I believe the track record that I have is reflective on a local and state level of his track record in Washington because of how I emulate the way he operates.” (Buffalo News)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2023, 06:39:07 PM »

I live in this district and 2024 will be the first year I'm eligible to run for House 🤔
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2023, 02:24:56 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2023, 02:30:33 PM by Kander2020 »

I live in this district and 2024 will be the first year I'm eligible to run for House 🤔

How are we just meeting now (ironically enough, I briefly ran a write-in campaign for this race until rumors started going around of Higgins' retirement, I'd be 9 months too young for the April race)
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2023, 02:25:43 PM »

WIVB: Buffalo Mayor Brown "giving serious thought" to running

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/mayor-byron-brown-giving-serious-thought-to-running-for-ny-26-congress-seat/

I’m certainly giving serious thought to it,” Brown said when asked about his interest in the seat. “It is something that I need to look at for the good of our country. … What we need in Congress today are more people who are problem solvers, more people who are centrists, people who are looking to solve problems rather than to fight with one another.”
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2023, 07:18:15 PM »

Yeah, sounds like she's in.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2023, 03:16:15 AM »

Lol how would an India Walton (D) vs Byron Brown (I) congressional election go?
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2023, 06:05:44 AM »

I don't think Walton would have enough support to be able to win. Would probably be between Brown and the Republican.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2023, 09:15:04 AM »

Much worse than 2021 did for India. The machine in Buffalo seems to have gotten their sh*t together electorally and a lot of the progressive candidates actually lost this year.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2023, 09:54:32 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2023, 10:09:24 AM by Oryxslayer »

Much worse than 2021 did for India. The machine in Buffalo seems to have gotten their sh*t together electorally and a lot of the progressive candidates actually lost this year.

Also, NY26 is not just Buffalo.  Lotta suburban Dems, some poorer some richer, and then a good chunk of Niagara county including Niagara falls.  Buffalo is only about a third of the district,  and a small majority of Dems are outside the city. That gap widens in the primary cause of differential turnout. That doesn't sound like a recipe for success for a candidate like Walton, unless the primary fracturing is extreme.

And that's before we talk about how a potential remapping could easily increase the number of Dem voters outside Buffalo, if they actually have reason to fear a progressive candidate
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies