NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:32:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NY-26: Rep. Higgins likely to resign  (Read 2248 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2023, 06:14:31 PM »

Don't forget that NY specials don't have primaries.
Bernie Derangement Syndrome Haver
freethinkingindy
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2023, 08:29:04 PM »

Kind of a weird thing to resign for.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2023, 08:42:08 PM »

With how Congress is lately, literally any other job must seem like a promotion in comparison.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2023, 12:07:28 AM »

Hopefully his replacement won't be Byron Brown.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 12:19:20 AM »

Perhaps, but it's hardly unprecedented. The recent special in your own state happened because David Cicilline resigned to become the CEO of a nonprofit.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2023, 12:25:03 AM »

Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2023, 08:32:40 AM »

Kilmer and Higgens both out this week. Morgan McGarvey and Kevin Mullin may be the only straight white Christian male democrats in congress by 2030.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2023, 12:03:52 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2023, 12:10:06 PM by Kander2020 »

Surface-level, yes. But being in Buffalo we've heard that the CEO position of Shea's pays almost twice as much as being in Congress (without benefits even considered), and obviously way less stressful/demanding/physically dangerous as well.

Going to be a really interesting process. Many people in the WNY political scene having been teasing a shuffling of the local positions for a while, made even more entertaining by the fact that Byron Brown is facing a lot of unpopularity while also being considered as the next President of my alma mater.

Some names to watch out for: Nate McMurray, April Baskin, Howard Johnson, Mitch Nowakowski, Joel Feroleto, Darius Pridgen, Ulysses Wingo Sr., India Walton, Tim Kennedy, Byron Brown, Mark Poloncarz, Crystal Peoples-Stokes.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2023, 12:08:06 PM »

Kilmer and Higgens both out this week. Morgan McGarvey and Kevin Mullin may be the only straight white Christian male democrats in congress by 2030.

Harder, Deluzio, Golden, Ryan, Crow, Moulton, Boyle, Stanton, Mrvan, Himes…
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2023, 12:12:26 PM »

Harder, Deluzio, Golden, Ryan, Crow, Moulton, Boyle, Stanton, Mrvan, Himes…

Also very possibly the person who replaces Higgins, depending on who the local party leaders choose for the special.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2023, 12:12:44 PM »

India Walton OUT

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2023, 12:30:33 PM »

Man that venue he's taking over looks awful.

IT'S ENTIRELY SEATED!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2023, 12:32:17 PM »

And check this out: https://www.sheas.org/performances/the-rock-orchestra/

11 classical instrument wielding musicians, breathing beautifully dark energy into legendary Rock & Metal tracks.  Bathed in a sea of candles, skeletal players with rhinestone masks effortlessly switch between sublime melodies & powerful walls of sound.

OK, what's the music?

Performing the music of iconic bands including:
Metallica, Black Sabbath, Rage Against The Machine, AC/DC, Rammstein, SOAD, Led Zeppelin, Evanescence, Guns N Roses, Billy Idol, Queens of The Stone Age & MORE

Um, what? Where's the emo? Hell where's the hardcore or post-hardcore or even pop-punk? Sounds really lousy.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2023, 12:34:13 PM »

Swalwell? Stanton? Huffman? Harder? Crow? I won’t keep going but there’s plenty
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2023, 12:45:44 PM »

Swalwell? Stanton? Huffman? Harder? Crow? I won’t keep going but there’s plenty

Huffman is an atheist
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2023, 01:36:04 PM »

And check this out: https://www.sheas.org/performances/the-rock-orchestra/

11 classical instrument wielding musicians, breathing beautifully dark energy into legendary Rock & Metal tracks.  Bathed in a sea of candles, skeletal players with rhinestone masks effortlessly switch between sublime melodies & powerful walls of sound.

OK, what's the music?

Performing the music of iconic bands including:
Metallica, Black Sabbath, Rage Against The Machine, AC/DC, Rammstein, SOAD, Led Zeppelin, Evanescence, Guns N Roses, Billy Idol, Queens of The Stone Age & MORE

Um, what? Where's the emo? Hell where's the hardcore or post-hardcore or even pop-punk? Sounds really lousy.

I only ever go for the occasional Bill Maher or Jerry Seinfeld show.
Upstater
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -4.00

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2023, 02:00:30 PM »

Wow, wasn't expecting this. I'll always be grateful to him for taking five minutes out of his day to let me interview him for my high school newspaper.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2023, 02:13:53 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Brown somewhat hints at a campaign:

"Congressman Brian Higgins has delivered exceptional results for Buffalo & Western New York during his time in Washington. He has helped shape the renaissance in our area, including his great leadership on Waterfront Development. It's been an honor to stand with him and work with him on so many key projects for the benefit of the residents of the City of Buffalo and our region. I wish Congressman Higgins nothing but the best in his future endeavors. When the appropriate time comes, I look forward to a conversation about the future of this very diverse district so it can meet the needs of all of our residents." (WKBW)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2023, 02:52:25 PM »

Surface-level, yes. But being in Buffalo we've heard that the CEO position of Shea's pays almost twice as much as being in Congress (without benefits even considered), and obviously way less stressful/demanding/physically dangerous as well.

Going to be a really interesting process. Many people in the WNY political scene having been teasing a shuffling of the local positions for a while, made even more entertaining by the fact that Byron Brown is facing a lot of unpopularity while also being considered as the next President of my alma mater.

Some names to watch out for: Nate McMurray, April Baskin, Howard Johnson, Mitch Nowakowski, Joel Feroleto, Darius Pridgen, Ulysses Wingo Sr., India Walton, Tim Kennedy, Byron Brown, Mark Poloncarz, Crystal Peoples-Stokes.

Almost like Congress is so badly broken that the only people who want to stay there for any reasonable amount of time are bomb-throwing attention whores (MTG, Boebert, etc) or the independently wealthy.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2023, 03:43:51 PM »

When I saw the thread, I was hoping he's a Republican so their majority further shrinks.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2023, 03:55:35 PM »

"Congressman Brian Higgins has delivered exceptional results for Buffalo & Western New York during his time in Washington. He has helped shape the renaissance in our area, including his great leadership on Waterfront Development. It's been an honor to stand with him and work with him on so many key projects for the benefit of the residents of the City of Buffalo and our region. I wish Congressman Higgins nothing but the best in his future endeavors. When the appropriate time comes, I look forward to a conversation about the future of this very diverse district so it can meet the needs of all of our residents." (WKBW)

I hope not, he’s a 65 year old who doesn’t respect primary results
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2023, 04:53:20 PM »

Two years later and I will once again reiterate that Walton threatened to run against Brown on the Working Families Party line had she lost the primary. She literally was going to do what you trash Brown for doing.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2023, 05:30:07 PM »

Two years later and I will once again reiterate that Walton threatened to run against Brown on the Working Families Party line had she lost the primary. She literally was going to do what you trash Brown for doing.

If she did that then yea she’d be trash. But she didn’t , Brown literally did
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2023, 05:31:14 PM »

We're not talking about India. We're talking about your boy.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2023, 05:59:34 PM »

I find it hard to criticize someone for something they hypothetically could have done when the person we're discussing is demonstrably guilty of that thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies