If Youngkin was up for re-election yesterday, would he have won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Youngkin was up for re-election yesterday, would he have won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would Youngkin have been re-elected if he were up for re-election yesterday?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: If Youngkin was up for re-election yesterday, would he have won?  (Read 770 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2023, 03:29:34 PM »

If Glenn Youngkin was eligible for re-election and up again yesterday, would he have won?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 03:30:15 PM »

Yes, probably by double digits.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 03:38:39 PM »

Yes, the popular vote was very close for the legislature, and Youngkin is more popular than Generic R.  He wins pretty easily yesterday.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 03:42:57 PM »

Yes, and I don’t think it’d be that close.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 04:25:07 PM »

Honestly, he probably not only wins but also lifts up Republicans to control of the State Legislature too.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 04:31:28 PM »

Reelection?  Yes, no doubt.

The more interesting question is what would happen if you re-ran the 2021 election this year?  It would be something like McAuliffe +1 statewide based on the legislative PV, but Youngkin also outran the other 2 statewide Republicans, by 0.5% (LG) and 1% (AG).  So, this feels like it would be a recount for governor, with Dems very likely winning LG and AG.

Similarly, VA Democrats are very, very fortunate that the state senate wasn't up in 2021.  There's no way they would have held all 21 seats for the majority.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 04:49:08 PM »

The more interesting question is what would happen if you re-ran the 2021 election this year?  It would be something like McAuliffe +1 statewide based on the legislative PV, but Youngkin also outran the other 2 statewide Republicans, by 0.5% (LG) and 1% (AG).  So, this feels like it would be a recount for governor, with Dems very likely winning LG and AG.

Similarly, VA Democrats are very, very fortunate that the state senate wasn't up in 2021.  There's no way they would have held all 21 seats for the majority.

McAuliffe actually won a majority of state senate districts in 2021, so I think Democrats narrowly hold the Senate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2023, 07:13:24 PM »

Yes, especially since with his ass directly on the line I don't think he would have gambled with the 15 week ban play.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 09:54:38 PM »

Yes, by about the same margin as Beshear.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 10:03:15 PM »

McAuliffe actually won a majority of state senate districts in 2021, so I think Democrats narrowly hold the Senate.
McAuliffe lost SD-31 by 0.6 points. Even though it was Seat 19 for Democrats in 2023, it was Seat 20 in Youngkin vs McAuliffe.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 10:04:56 PM »

McAuliffe lost SD-31 by 0.6 points. Even though it was Seat 19 for Democrats in 2023, it was Seat 20 in Youngkin vs McAuliffe.

I meant the old 2010s senate map.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 10:17:10 PM »

Nope
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 10:34:27 PM »

Probably, but the campaign also would've been different. If he was bragging about how he'd ban abortion, but only after 15 weeks, then I think he could lose in an upset. I really do think that being pro-life in a blue state is the equivalent of "Hell yes we're coming for your AR15s!" in a red state.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 10:37:56 PM »

Probably, but the campaign also would've been different. If he was bragging about how he'd ban abortion, but only after 15 weeks, then I think he could lose in an upset. I really do think that being pro-life in a blue state is the equivalent of "Hell yes we're coming for your AR15s!" in a red state.
Not a bad analogy.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2023, 06:54:19 PM »

Yes, his approvals are about +25
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2023, 03:00:17 PM »

I would say Yes, but it's possible that his fumbling of the abortion issue would have hurt him enough to potentially lose. Would depend entirely on his opponent, I think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies