Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:02:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)  (Read 7342 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »

I encourage Porce to read Article VI of the Senate Rules, which deals with Presidential nominees.  This section explicitly states that nominees must be given debate time no less than 24 hours and no more than 72 hours.  No filibustering is allowed.  Considering that this nomination has gone on for two weeks, the Senate is presently in violation of the Rules.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules%2C_Regulations%2C_and_Procedures

If Porce is unable or unwilling to abide by these rules, then I would suggest bringing a vote of no-confidence in the PPT, as outlined in Article VII or filibustering Senate debate of all legislation presently on the floor, as outlined in Article IV.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2007, 05:18:39 PM »

I encourage Porce to read Article VI of the Senate Rules, which deals with Presidential nominees.  This section explicitly states that nominees must be given debate time no less than 24 hours and no more than 72 hours.  No filibustering is allowed.  Considering that this nomination has gone on for two weeks, the Senate is presently in violation of the Rules.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules%2C_Regulations%2C_and_Procedures

If Porce is unable or unwilling to abide by these rules, then I would suggest bringing a vote of no-confidence in the PPT, as outlined in Article VII or filibustering Senate debate of all legislation presently on the floor, as outlined in Article IV.

Although I'm sure you called your mother to let her know that you ripped your forum buddy a new one (and received the due congratulations from a proud, tearstricken mother), I'm perfectly aware of that rule given that it was invoked against Supersoulty's "filibuster" of Emsworth when he had been nominated for Secretary of Defense in 2005.

The reason I let it slip was to illustrate that the VP nominee could have had us voting on his confirmation a week ago, and he didn't because he clearly has no idea what the rules are.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't really mind if all currently active legislation on the floor were filibustered.  Have you seen some of the forum affairs proposals on there?  Or that vote of no-confidence, because some people asked questions to a nominee who was perfectly willing to answer them?  Get over it.

That won't be necessary, though, since the vote of cloture is hereby suspended and voting on the confirmation of the nominee begins now.

Nay
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2007, 05:21:22 PM »

Or that vote of no-confidence, because some people asked questions to a nominee who was perfectly willing to answer them?  Get over it.

Interestingly, a petition for a vote of no confidence must be presented to the President of the Senate (VP), and given that office is vacant, I do not know how a vote could be called since the Dean is only empowered to act with the powers and perogatives of the PPT if he is called upon to run the Senate.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2007, 05:41:39 PM »

Aye

For anyone who can answer this:
Can charges be brought against Porce for violating the laws of the senate and abusing his powers as PPT?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »

For anyone who can answer this:
Can charges be brought against Porce for violating the laws of the senate and abusing his powers as PPT?

No.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »

Or that vote of no-confidence, because some people asked questions to a nominee who was perfectly willing to answer them?  Get over it.

Interestingly, a petition for a vote of no confidence must be presented to the President of the Senate (VP), and given that office is vacant, I do not know how a vote could be called since the Dean is only empowered to act with the powers and perogatives of the PPT if he is called upon to run the Senate.

Yes, I'd agree with this. The OSPR states quite clearly:
"In the event that the President of the Senate should be exercising responsibility as Acting President of the Republic of Atlasia under the Constitution, then the powers given by this Resolution to the President of the Senate shall instead be exercised by the Dean of the Senate."

Other than that the Dean can only act in cases where the PPT is inactive, which is clearly not the case currently.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2007, 09:54:18 PM »

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »

Aye
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2007, 10:43:21 PM »

I think you won't take the job seriously not because you want to be "fun" but because of the way you have acted in this hearing, and outside of it.  You accused Senators Rob and myself of being partisan hacks with no proof whatsoever, told me to remove a stick from my ass because apparently I don't fall in line with your authority, and are now digging your hole even deeper by saying that I'm the cause of Atlasia's problems because I've stalled one confirmation hearing.

And that, Naso, is why you should not be Vice President.

Well, if you don' think he should be vice-president, then maybe you should vote against him. If you decided to conduct the vote instead of just stalling the conformaton process, maybe we could vote against Naso and find a better nominee so that we don;t have this incredibly unnecesary deadlock!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2007, 02:10:24 AM »

Well, if you don' think he should be vice-president, then maybe you should vote against him.

That's what we're doing right now.  Unless, of course, you are illiterate like your good friend DownWith-DaLeft.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »

Current vote tally, 2-2.

Out of the interest of those reading this thread, please move the discussion elsewhere and limit this thread's uses to voting from now on.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2007, 05:39:09 AM »

Boo for the anti-constitutional bastards! Down with them!

Ok, Lewis, I'm done. Wink
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2007, 11:09:57 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2007, 07:59:49 PM by Senator Colin Wixted »

Nay

I have not been thoroughly convinced by the testimony given that Michael Naso would be competent in his position as Vice President. The lack of knowledge about basic Senate proceedings as well as a look upon his prior record of service to Atlasia brings me to the conclusion that he would be inactive in the role and would need to be dragged into the Senate instead of taking an active role in his duties. While Mr. Naso is a good person and has been part of both the Atlasian and greater forum community for many years I still, based upon prior experiences with his service to Atlasia, cannot confirm him for the job of Vice President of the Republic of Atlasia.

As for President Pro Tempore Porce's actions during this hearing I do not want to, at this time, clutter an already stretched out debate with my opinion on the subject.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2007, 07:33:53 PM »

Nay.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »

Nay

I agree entirely with Senator Wixted's statement above on the nominee.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2007, 08:03:46 PM »

Now, its 5-2. Looks like Ernest will be the deciding vote.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2007, 08:05:47 PM »

With five opposed, it's over.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »

I wonder what happens in the event of a 5-5 tie on whether or not to confirm the Vice President who would in any other circumstances be the tie breaker.

Ok. Answers that question.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

I wonder what happens in the event of a 5-5 tie on whether or not to confirm the Vice President who would in any other circumstances be the tie breaker.

Article 2, Section 3, Clause 2 of the Constitution:
"If there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President, who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of the Senate."
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2007, 03:00:27 AM »

"If there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President, who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of the Senate."

His point, though, which was a good one, is thus: if the tiebreaking vote is on the nomination of a vice president, which implies that there is no vice president in office to break ties, then who would break the tie?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2007, 03:34:15 AM »

His point, though, which was a good one, is thus: if the tiebreaking vote is on the nomination of a vice president, which implies that there is no vice president in office to break ties, then who would break the tie?

Jas answered it.  The confirmation of a Vice President requires a majority of the Senate, which 50% is not.  So there is no tiebreaking vote in that instance.

With 2 ayes and 5 nays, the confirmation of Mike Naso to be Vice President has failed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2007, 01:35:28 PM »

True, that is a minor glitch that should probably be fixed.

There is a simple suggestion I would make that should fix that and any other problems that arise.

Amend the Dean part of the OSPR, so that the Dean has the powers and prerogatives of the President of the Senate (subtracting tie-breaking votes) or of the PPT in case of absence from the forum or vacancy of office.  (Article IX tries to do something similar but fails)

This ensures that at all times two people control the reins of power of the Senate, but does bring up two questions in my mind.

#1:  What happens if the Dean of the Senate is absent from the forum?
A:  A procedure should be in place, regardless of the above problem, that allows the Dean of the Senate position to pass down through the ranks if this problem occurs.

#2:  What happens if the Dean does the same thing as the PPT while both are in office?
A:  I am tempted to say, tough luck, but I think some provision should be created that allows for the ouster of the Dean of the Senate, if the Dean is presently in control of the powers and prerogatives of either the President of the Senate, PPT or both (which could happen).
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies