Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:55:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)  (Read 7343 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2007, 04:38:58 PM »

The President has nominated Mike Naso to serve as Vice President.  This hearing is called to order.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 04:39:19 PM »

I would first ask Mr. Naso, do you know what the job of Vice President entails?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 05:18:38 PM »

Yes, Senator Ebowed. The Vice-Presidents duties revolve around two main issues:

1. Presiding as President of the Senate, and being able to cast tie-breaking votes on important pieces of legislation.

2. Being the second in succession to the Presidency should the President be incapacitated from his office.

I understand the importance and detail of the job the President has nominated me for and for which I have accepted.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:21:12 PM »

I now vote "aye" on the nominee and believe we all what we get with Naso and that hearings are pointless
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:01:11 PM »

Mr. Naso, can you give this Senate your sincere word that you will be an active Vice President and that you will be available to fulfill the duties assigned to the position if needed, with the exception of any major extenuating circumstances. I say this because of your prior horrendous inactivity while you were in the Senate and later when you were Governor of the Southeast region.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:03:47 PM »

Mr. Naso, can you give this Senate your sincere word that you will be an active Vice President and that you will be available to fulfill the duties assigned to the position if needed, with the exception of any major extenuating circumstances. I say this because of your prior horrendous inactivity while you were in the Senate and later when you were Governor of the Southeast region.

Inactivity was never a problem for me, Senator...it was a mistake. I forgot to create the new elections at the end of my term as Governor. To say I was inactive...is mistaken. As for my duties as Vice President, yes I will remain active and if I am not going to be around at any specific time I will give prior notice.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 11:21:32 PM »

I now vote "aye" on the nominee and believe we all what we get with Naso and that hearings are pointless

Hearings are not pointless.

I would ask Mr. Naso, considering that you 'forgot' to hold elections in your previous capacity as Southeast Governor, how can you reassure us that you will fulfill your duties as Vice President properly?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 11:41:44 PM »

Hearings are not pointless.

I would ask Mr. Naso, considering that you 'forgot' to hold elections in your previous capacity as Southeast Governor, how can you reassure us that you will fulfill your duties as Vice President properly?

I served my duties fully as Southeast Governor, yet I wasn't aware that I had to create a new voting booth because for some reason...I forgot the election was two months instead of four months. People made a giant escapade of a simple mistake.

I will fulfill my duties as Vice President fully and with the serious responsibility a job like that requires.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:17:18 AM »

When breaking ties on controversial issues, would you vote with the President's wishes or with the wishes of the conservative Senate bloc?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:50:57 AM »

When breaking ties on controversial issues, would you vote with the President's wishes or with the wishes of the conservative Senate bloc?

I will vote with what I and the President feel is the right choice to break the tie vote. Whether that leans left or right, doesn't matter.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54:39 AM »

Could you elaborate on what that means?  What if you and the President disagree on a certain issue?

Also, could you describe what sort of legislation you feel would be appropriate, as President of the Senate, to place in the sixth slot on the floor?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 07:26:30 AM »

Could you elaborate on what that means?  What if you and the President disagree on a certain issue?

Also, could you describe what sort of legislation you feel would be appropriate, as President of the Senate, to place in the sixth slot on the floor?

Look, in the real-world, Vice President Gore didn't worry in 2000 that a Vice President Lieberman might not always vote with his ideals...and I'm sure had that ticket had won, there would have been very little feud within the party.

The fact of the matter is, I don't want to get into the "sixth slot" hypothetical discussions on the issues of presiding over the Senate. We have a duty to the people who play this government game to keep things interesting. I wish for Yates that I was not here at this confirmation today, but the sad fact is that I am...and I feel that it is in the countries best interest to have a swift vote for confirmation to get things moving.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 09:50:11 AM »

Well, do you know what the sixth slot refers to?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 10:38:45 AM »

The fact of the matter is, I don't want to get into the "sixth slot" hypothetical discussions on the issues of presiding over the Senate.

As a point which goes towards one's ability to properly and effectively carry out the duties of the office, I believe that this issue is pertinent and warrants an answer, and so would request that the nominee answer the question.

I feel that it is in the countries best interest to have a swift vote for confirmation to get things moving.

Why?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »

Well, do you know what the sixth slot refers to?

No I do not, Senator.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 06:51:36 PM »

Very well.

What do you believe you would most like to accomplish as Vice President?  Specifically, do you intend on taking an active approach to presiding over the Senate, or would you be content to mostly leave that to the PPT, similar to your recent predecessors?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 06:09:52 AM »

Very well.

What do you believe you would most like to accomplish as Vice President?  Specifically, do you intend on taking an active approach to presiding over the Senate, or would you be content to mostly leave that to the PPT, similar to your recent predecessors?

No sir, I intend to be an active Vice President until the next administration takes office, and President Afleitch has made that clear himself. In the event I will be away for a few days, I will give clear notice, and will make sure the President Pro Temp is informed of my absence, and then resume my duties after I return.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 05:58:57 AM »

If confirmed, how would you vote on the current tie on the final passage of the Immigration Reform Bill?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the bill?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 11:11:07 AM »

If confirmed, how would you vote on the current tie on the final passage of the Immigration Reform Bill?  What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the bill?

Does the honorable Senator wish to risk turning this nomination into primarily a surrogate vote for the 5-5 tied bill?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »

Does the honorable Senator wish to risk turning this nomination into primarily a surrogate vote for the 5-5 tied bill?

It's possible that this vote may be the only matter of any significance which would come before the next Vice President, in which case, it's probably a reasonable question to ask.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2007, 03:11:28 PM »

This is an interesting bill as I don't really have mixed opinions on it, and I would vote AYE on the bill for mainly two parts of it which I like. First, the idea of increasing fees and fines is appealing to me because we must enforce the most stark action against illegals and those who break laws. Secondly, the idea of cutting more government paperwork should sound appealing to anyone here. I don't see any real reasons why I would vote against this bill.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 02:52:57 AM »

First, the idea of increasing fees and fines is appealing to me because we must enforce the most stark action against illegals and those who break laws.

The sections of the bill which increased fees and fines were removed from the final version via amendment.

Who would you say is your greatest role model, from both real life politics and Atlasia?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:33:25 AM »

It really seems to me as if Ebowed is just trying to drag this one so Naso cannot assume his duties.  Are there really a point to some of the questions asked?  I think it is important for Atlasia to have a VP and not an empty seat.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »

Who would you say is your greatest role model, from both real life politics and Atlasia?

Well I have many real-life role models. I think that President's Harry Truman and Ronald Reagan are two political role models of mine. Truman stuck to his guns and planned to keep bombing Japan until they learned...which they did. 60 years later, they are some of the longest living, brilliant people on the planet, and our ally.

Ronald Reagan is another hero of mine because he did the unthinkable in the 1980's: Beat the Soviet Union and won the Cold War without ANY military conflict. He did it economically. The Soviet's knew that if the United States had SDI to shoot down nuclear missiles, they would have to try and match that and would basically go bankrupt. It makes you think what type of nation we would be today if the Democrats like Alan Cranston or Walter Mondale were in charge during the Cold War in the 1980's. Things such as a "nuclear freeze" are so dangerous to support in a time of cold war, that I don't fully believe that the Cold War would be over today had it not been for Reagan and Bush. Of course, Thatcher, John Paul II, and Gorbi all stressed for peace as well, but the champion of it all was President Reagan.

As for Forum Politics, I'd have to say President PBrunsel. He is such a smart...way smarter than me on history, and I'm not bragging but I do have top notch history grades...and knows how to connect well with people. I know that Atlasia is better off because of PBrunsel and had he and Keystone Phil run for a second term, I have no doubt the margin of victory would have been massive.

Trust me, I understand the need for speaking out on the issues. I understand the need for Senate confirmation. However, we must remember one other need...the people. The people of Atlasia must have the security of knowing that they have a Vice President in office. I know that for the rest of the respective term, I can do that job and keep stability in Atlasia.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 10:12:32 AM »

I thank the former governor for his kind words. Mike Naso has proven himself to be competent in answering all questions asked of him, and has also shown an understanding of policy and the duties of Vice-President.

I, therefore, urge all Senators to vote to confirm him for the office of Vice-President of our grand Republic.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies