Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:20:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Mike Naso (Vice President)  (Read 7341 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 01:23:48 PM »

It really seems to me as if Ebowed is just trying to drag this one so Naso cannot assume his duties.  Are there really a point to some of the questions asked?  I think it is important for Atlasia to have a VP and not an empty seat.

Maybe, but keep in mind Naso was on vacation for a week, so the hearing was on hold. Never the less I hope we do open the vote by tomorrow or Monday.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 02:35:46 PM »

A question for the nominee, if I may: do you believe that the decreased prominence of parties and special interest groups has played a part in the perceived "downfall" of Atlasia?  How would you use your position, if confirmed, to positively influence this situation?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »

However, we must remember one other need...the people. The people of Atlasia must have the security of knowing that they have a Vice President in office.

How would your job protect the security of the public?  If similar circumstances to World War II arose, would you support using atomic weapons on civilians again as your hero Truman did?  Do you think it is fair to call that sort of action a war crime?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 08:02:02 PM »

The voice of the people says

Confirm Mike Naso for Vice President without undue delay.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2007, 11:59:37 AM »

... Or get this vote over with so that Afleitch has to nominate someone new.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »

A question for the nominee, if I may: do you believe that the decreased prominence of parties and special interest groups has played a part in the perceived "downfall" of Atlasia?  How would you use your position, if confirmed, to positively influence this situation?

I don't think that a Vice President has much influence in this type of situation. I think that the prominence of many different parties and groups does add in interest, and if indeed there has been a downfall, then that may be one reason why. One thing I believe I can do as Vice President to bring about a positive influence is keep the office clean, working smoothly and active, which will reflect positively on all of Atlasia.

However, we must remember one other need...the people. The people of Atlasia must have the security of knowing that they have a Vice President in office.

How would your job protect the security of the public?  If similar circumstances to World War II arose, would you support using atomic weapons on civilians again as your hero Truman did?  Do you think it is fair to call that sort of action a war crime?

People have their right to believe whichever opinions they feel to be true. I do believe that President Truman made the right decision. The bomb was the last resort before invasion, where we may have lost soldiers to the extent that it would have been unbelieveable. We dropped the bomb, they surrendered, we helped them rebuild...and look at Japan now. Some of the most brilliant people in the world, our ally, and a growing economic power in the world. 60 years ago they were the enemy in a war which we had no choice but to use devestating effects...today they are a growing, friendly nation.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »

What would you say is your greatest achievement in Atlasian politics?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2007, 06:37:25 PM »

After Mr. Naso answers this last question, I motion that we close debate and vote on the nominee. While I agree that this should not be a rubber stamp, I believe there was plenty of time to ask a question as "What would you say is your greatest achievement in Atlasian politics?" and it seems that this is turning into an attempt to stall the hearing on the nominee.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »

What would you say is your greatest achievement in Atlasian politics?

Keeping the game interesting. It's all fun and I've added alot of interesting fun to it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2007, 12:46:22 PM »

I second Senator H's motion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2007, 08:41:05 PM »

The motion is on whether to end debate on the nominee.

Nay
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2007, 09:03:50 PM »

Aye
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2007, 01:28:00 AM »

Nay.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2007, 03:40:32 PM »

Aye, this is ridiculous
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2007, 10:06:01 PM »

Aye let's vote
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2007, 01:33:46 AM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 02:03:22 AM »

Why should anyone vote for a nominee who has implied he agrees that his confirmation will lead to some "amusing times"?  We shouldn't rubber stamp people just because they're incompetent and therefore funny, sorry.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2007, 02:49:51 AM »

Why should anyone vote for a nominee who has implied he agrees that his confirmation will lead to some "amusing times"?  We shouldn't rubber stamp people just because they're incompetent and therefore funny, sorry.

Senator, you are proving your immaturity to the Atlasian people right now for not allowing Atlasia the security of a new Vice President. Pull the stick out of your behind and let's get the government rolling.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2007, 03:33:32 AM »

Senator, you are proving your immaturity to the Atlasian people right now for not allowing Atlasia the security of a new Vice President. Pull the stick out of your behind and let's get the government rolling.

I am willing to allow some ties to sit in place for a while so that a good Vice President can be confirmed.  That would be your only task, after all, since I've gathered that you wouldn't be taking any of your duties as President of the Senate seriously, given that you don't even know what they are, thus leaving the responsibilities to me.  So, with that in mind, I don't see what 'security' has to do with this.

As for your other comment, I hope you can savor the irony of accusing me of immaturity while simultaneously commanding me to remove "the stick out of [my] behind" as much as I can.  Are you a homophobe, BTW?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2007, 03:38:31 AM »

Classy.

There is nothing in this post to make me reconsider my vote, and I imagine my esteemed colleagues feel likewise. If the nominee is unwilling to take his hearing seriously, may I ask why he feels the Senate should confirm him?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2007, 04:20:04 AM »

I have answered EVERY question truthfully and throughly. Now, I'm accused of "Not understanding my Vice Presidential duties" and "not taking this hearing seriously"? Senator Ebowed and to some extent Senator Rob have been doing their best to extend the confirmation process as long as possible so that I will never take office. I hope the other esteemed Senators see how party politics is affecting this confirmation hearing and how their refusal of confirmation is affecting Atlasia itself, which needs a Vice President.

If Senator Ebowed refuses his duties...then let him miss this vote. The Atlasian people need a vote, and if you're going to let them down, then maybe you should take a timeout until you can act mature.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2007, 04:25:59 AM »

I have answered EVERY question truthfully and throughly. Now, I'm accused of "Not understanding my Vice Presidential duties" and "not taking this hearing seriously"? Senator Ebowed and to some extent Senator Rob have been doing their best to extend the confirmation process as long as possible so that I will never take office. I hope the other esteemed Senators see how party politics is affecting this confirmation hearing and how their refusal of confirmation is affecting Atlasia itself, which needs a Vice President.

If Senator Ebowed refuses his duties...then let him miss this vote. The Atlasian people need a vote, and if you're going to let them down, then maybe you should take a timeout until you can act mature.

This has nothing to do with party.  I could care less what party you are.  What I do care about is that you are immature and unqualified.  You think your confirmation will make Atlasia more "fun."  My question is, can you actually do a good job as Vice President?  You didn't even know what the sixth legislative slot refers to; now, while I obviously can forgive not knowing every Senate rule or procedure, I do hope that you have at least a decent knowledge of how the Senate works.  Instead, you'll probably end up doing nothing and I'd have to PM you whenever you have a tie to break.  Well, that's great.

Nominee hearings do NOT necessarily end in the person taking office.  You of all people should know this.  I do not appreciate that you are trying to turn this Senate into a rubber stamp.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2007, 04:32:10 AM »

This has nothing to do with party.  I could care less what party you are.  What I do care about is that you are immature and unqualified.  You think your confirmation will make Atlasia more "fun."  My question is, can you actually do a good job as Vice President?  You didn't even know what the sixth legislative slot refers to; now, while I obviously can forgive not knowing every Senate rule or procedure, I do hope that you have at least a decent knowledge of how the Senate works.  Instead, you'll probably end up doing nothing and I'd have to PM you whenever you have a tie to break.  Well, that's great.

Nominee hearings do NOT necessarily end in the person taking office.  You of all people should know this.  I do not appreciate that you are trying to turn this Senate into a rubber stamp.

Senator, I understand the job and the duties of this job that I am possibly taking. I know how important it is to keep a steady leadership role as Vice President while presiding over the Senate, and having to make difficult decisions on tie-breaking votes. However, this is all a game. Of course it has to be fun, but to think that being fun somehow makes me not take the job seriously is completely off the table. Infact, it's just plain wrong, Senator...with all due respect.

You are the reason for problems right now, and you are the one acting immature by whining about how you don't want a Vice President Naso. Keep in mind, my term will be held with respect, honor and leadership...but it will be brief. I am not seeking the Presidency and my term will be complete in a few weeks. Why you refuse to allow a vote and the chance to get Atlasia's current Presidential administration back to normal is beyond me.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2007, 04:37:14 AM »

I think you won't take the job seriously not because you want to be "fun" but because of the way you have acted in this hearing, and outside of it.  You accused Senators Rob and myself of being partisan hacks with no proof whatsoever, told me to remove a stick from my ass because apparently I don't fall in line with your authority, and are now digging your hole even deeper by saying that I'm the cause of Atlasia's problems because I've stalled one confirmation hearing.

And that, Naso, is why you should not be Vice President.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2007, 04:40:04 AM »

I think you won't take the job seriously not because you want to be "fun" but because of the way you have acted in this hearing, and outside of it.  You accused Senators Rob and myself of being partisan hacks with no proof whatsoever, told me to remove a stick from my ass because apparently I don't fall in line with your authority, and are now digging your hole even deeper by saying that I'm the cause of Atlasia's problems because I've stalled one confirmation hearing.

And that, Naso, is why you should not be Vice President.

Alrightly then, that is your opinion Senator, and if the vote is against me, I will gracefully embrace the next Vice President-designate the President puts up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies