1974 to 1976 Nixon no Watergate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:25:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1974 to 1976 Nixon no Watergate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1974 to 1976 Nixon no Watergate  (Read 324 times)
ReaganLimbaugh
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2023, 08:00:55 PM »

Suppose there is no Watergate and Nixon does not resign or is impeached.  What does he do that remainder of his term and how is Vietnam any different?
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 08:40:48 PM »

The 1974 midterms are still bad for Republicans due to the recession, though not as bad as they were with Watergate in the picture, so I doubt much is accomplished domestically. I think he does what he can via the war powers act to prop up South Vietnam, but still comes short in the end. Something similar to the Helsinki Accords happens too. Honestly, outside of the Presidential primaries on both sides and a lack of the Watergate Scandal, I don't see 1974-Jan. 1977 fairing that differently from Ford's presidency.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 09:21:51 PM »

The 1974 midterms are still bad for Republicans due to the recession, though not as bad as they were with Watergate in the picture, so I doubt much is accomplished domestically. I think he does what he can via the war powers act to prop up South Vietnam, but still comes short in the end. Something similar to the Helsinki Accords happens too. Honestly, outside of the Presidential primaries on both sides and a lack of the Watergate Scandal, I don't see 1974-Jan. 1977 fairing that differently from Ford's presidency.

One major thing is Project Independence on the energy front. Nixon was pushing hard for that in his second term and was looking to implement around the time all the watergate stuff came out. A lot of energy independence and pro-nuclear energy activists believe that Big Oil had a hand in the downfall of Nixon, lobbying to get him impeached, because Project Independence would really hurt their bottom lines. No idea if any claims about this is true or not, but PI is probably implemented and the incoming Presidents don't touch it for at least a decade.

Also, I don't see Ford running to be President. AFAIK, he never wanted the job or the VP-slot, he only wanted to be Speaker, that was it. If anyone gets Nixon's backing, its either Connally or Reagan outright, which clears the field for them easily. Now, can they win against whoever the Dems nominate in 1976 (likely to be either Church, Jackson, or Wallace, though Church is the likliest one. Carter was the right guy at the right time for a Post-Watergate primary. W/O WG. Carter likely never runs as there is no need for a humble outsider like him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies