Naming of a New Capital - SUGGEST A NAME
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:11:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Naming of a New Capital - SUGGEST A NAME
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Naming of a New Capital - SUGGEST A NAME  (Read 2092 times)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2023, 12:46:35 AM »

As an FYI, the old "Nyman" city remains named Nyman.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2023, 01:34:22 AM »

Given Yankee might gain traction, i'm gonna drop Yankao as well (as a merge of Yankee and Cao).
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2023, 01:12:19 PM »

I'm going to drop Dave.
Octowakandi
Octosteel
United States

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »

Republia
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2023, 11:50:10 PM »

I propose honoring our former President: Pericles
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2023, 02:37:31 AM »

Perhaps it is simply my inner GM talking but part of my consideration is very much how reasonable/ridiculous it would be to write a story with the proposed names. "The Atlasian capital, Pericles…" "News out of Yankee today, as the Senate passes…" "The President spoke from Novo Novo Sarajevo this evening regarding the unfolding crisis in Serbia…"

Subjectively speaking of course, I think Lumine's (Columbia) passes that test, Battista's are OK, mine (New Nyman/Vicennial) are OK, Scott's is pushing it. At the moment I'm not seriously considering any others.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2023, 03:46:38 AM »

Cahokia

I think usernames aren't gonna work for the reasons Cao states.

And this fits well, the site of the ancient city is very close to the location of the new capital and it was one of the largest Mississippian pre-columbian cities found.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2023, 03:51:27 AM »

Perhaps it is simply my inner GM talking but part of my consideration is very much how reasonable/ridiculous it would be to write a story with the proposed names. "The Atlasian capital, Pericles…" "News out of Yankee today, as the Senate passes…" "The President spoke from Novo Novo Sarajevo this evening regarding the unfolding crisis in Serbia…"

Subjectively speaking of course, I think Lumine's (Columbia) passes that test, Battista's are OK, mine (New Nyman/Vicennial) are OK, Scott's is pushing it. At the moment I'm not seriously considering any others.

The problem with naming the capital after a user is also that more than one person would deserve it. So choosing which one because of that is flawed, and most of those people mentioned are still too active in the game or might return soon. The ones from the era before that, have been forgotten and we simply don't remember those very well (there have been no Siren proposals for instance yet). And it's just, there are a ton of people who could deserve it, how choose who gets to be named and who not.

It also makes the name a little less nice, esp. after usernames are already often named after something, and what might work as an username might not work as a city name. "Adam Griffin" doesn't work as a city's name". The best you could do is "Griffinstad", "Griffinville", "Griffincity" or something. Pericles just doesn't work as an urban city name, because there's too much of a connotation with something else.

If we have to name after someone from Labor, Griffinville probably sounds the best.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2023, 12:29:07 PM »

Will also drop the name

Keokuk

Which is kinda the current name of the location named after Sauk chief Keokuk

Keokuk (circa 1780–June 1848) was a leader of the Sauk tribe in central North America, and for decades was one of the most recognized Native American leaders and noted for his accommodation with the U.S. government. Keokuk moved his tribe several times and always acted as an ardent friend of the Americans.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2023, 01:33:56 PM »

Proposing Keoshawqua which phonetically was a native name for the Des Moines River which flows through the capital:

he Meskwaki and Sauk people referred to the river as "Ke-o-shaw-qua" (Hermit's River), from which Keosauqua, Iowa, derives its name.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2023, 02:20:30 PM »

I feel like there are separation concerns regarding naming the capital for a deity.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2023, 03:06:23 PM »

I do not support the creation of a new capital city, especially the project described in SB 117-41. However, if one must be created, it should at least respect the original capital city of Nyman by retaining the name of Atlasia's first president. The idea of honoring other notable leaders is already set in motion through ongoing currency modifications.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2023, 04:32:44 PM »

I do not support the creation of a new capital city, especially the project described in SB 117-41. However, if one must be created, it should at least respect the original capital city of Nyman by retaining the name of Atlasia's first president. The idea of honoring other notable leaders is already set in motion through ongoing currency modifications.

The old city as an FYI remains named Nyman (it's not being renamed into Washington). This would lead to confusion. Secondly, i want a bit more of an original pick, and i think it's preferrable if we just don't name the new capital to a certain individual.

There are other things (or RL people) we can honour.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2023, 06:34:25 PM »

Um excuse me?! “The evil Fredicon elite” sounds pretty good! Smh
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2023, 08:43:34 PM »

what about “Washington”
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2023, 02:58:11 AM »

Fhtagn D.C
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2023, 10:38:33 AM »

Keokuk and Keoshawqua are already established towns very close to the area, aren't they? Might cause confusion if we're naming the capital area specifically, though I expect it will rapidly get folded into "the Keokuk–[NAME TBD] urban area" or what have you.

Cahokia doesn't have that problem but as much as it warms my heart it's probably a bit too Illinois-centric to fly.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2023, 11:55:03 AM »

Keokuk and Keoshawqua are already established towns very close to the area, aren't they? Might cause confusion if we're naming the capital area specifically, though I expect it will rapidly get folded into "the Keokuk–[NAME TBD] urban area" or what have you.

Cahokia doesn't have that problem but as much as it warms my heart it's probably a bit too Illinois-centric to fly.

Keokuk is in the district, and there is a Keosauqua nearby, but not a Keoshawqua (my proposal spells it more phonetically)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies