What the New House Speaker Thinks About Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 09:57:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What the New House Speaker Thinks About Gays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What the New House Speaker Thinks About Gays  (Read 1338 times)
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2023, 04:23:38 PM »

In only a few minutes you can dig up the new Speaker's views on the issues.  Everything seemed to be predictable, but what really stood out the most is how he thinks about gays.

- Called homosexuality "inherently unnatural" and "a dangerous lifestyle".
- Claimed spread of homosexuality would destroy entire democratic system
- Links it to pedophilia
- Supports ban on gay intimacy inside people's homes (wants to overturn Lawrence vs. Texas)
- "Homosexual marriage is the dark harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy" (that's an actual quote)
- Supporter of the Day of Truth, which spreads message that being gay is a sin to kids, calling it "another perspective on the homosexual lifestyle"

I'm not going to say anything more than that, those words and that kind of language speaks for itself.  I do think he needs to be challenged on these views, and that it just proves that there is still an ongoing debate in this country about gay people.  We are not "post-Obergefell" or any of that nonsense.  This is the era of "Don't Say Gay" and now we have a Speaker that symbolizes it.
Pielover
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2023, 04:27:20 PM »

B-but I was told the GOP has moderated on social issues!
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2023, 04:32:51 PM »

The GOP is a total embarrassment.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2023, 06:12:24 PM »

It's pretty patronizing for Biden district Republicans to back this guy somehow assuming that their constituents don't know how to use Google.

He is Jim Jordan, but with a less obnoxious personality. You can't pull the wall over (some) voters' eyes so easily. I guess that's what made his name pulled out of a hat the consensus choice though: he has the voting record to satiate the Freedumb Caucus while having the type of banal, under-the-radar personality the "moderates" covet. Everybody wins...except nobody does in reality.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »

It is fair to ask him if his views have changed but 2003 America was widely different on this issue so I would not assume his views from 2003-04 are his views today. Now it is still fair to ask if they have but I would not make that assumption.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/8956/public-shifts-more-conservative-stance-gay-rights.aspx

46% of Americans in July 2003 thought homosexual relations between consenting adults should have been illegal so the country has changed dramatically on these issues.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2023, 06:28:16 PM »

It is fair to ask him if his views have changed…

Is it? His dogs in Congress just yell at people to “shut up” when they ask him about his previous stances.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2023, 06:32:57 PM »

Is it? His dogs in Congress just yell at people to “shut up” when they ask him about his previous stances.

I mean of course they will, thats political strategy but as a reporter you can. Keep in mind the President you supported at the time opposed Lawrence too so the country has changed massively on this issue.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2023, 06:41:54 PM »

I mean of course they will, thats political strategy but as a reporter you can. Keep in mind the President you supported at the time opposed Lawrence too so the country has changed massively on this issue.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Johnson’s views have changed nor has Johnson earned any sort of benefit of the doubt on this stuff. 
EastwoodS

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2023, 07:00:50 PM »

Damn, so I’m definitely not voting Republican for anything in 2024 now. I’d be insulting myself if I did
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2023, 08:08:08 PM »

Sexual anarchy sounds kinda cool
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2023, 08:11:33 PM »

It is fair to ask him if his views have changed but 2003 America was widely different on this issue so I would not assume his views from 2003-04 are his views today. Now it is still fair to ask if they have but I would not make that assumption.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/8956/public-shifts-more-conservative-stance-gay-rights.aspx

46% of Americans in July 2003 thought homosexual relations between consenting adults should have been illegal so the country has changed dramatically on these issues.

If that were the case, he would have preemptively clarified that position. I mean, I guess it's possible that until today he was a random backbencher without a good enough staff to get out ahead of that, but given that he still hasn't repudiated or softened those positions, I think it's very likely that he still holds every single one of them.

I don't know why you're making up excuses for a politician who doesn't even bother to make those excuses for himself.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2023, 09:12:46 PM »

Congressional leader of the "party of freedom" wants to be inside of your bedroom, monitoring what you're doing with your genitals in there. In 2023. Disgusting authoritarianism.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2023, 10:41:15 PM »

Not defending him. But important to note that his 2003-2004 views were very common at the time. 60% of Americans did not support gay marriage in 2003. George W. Bush most likely won the 2004 election because of anti gay marriage sentiment.

It wasn't until 2011 when a majority of Americans supported gay marriage and as late as 2014/2015, most Republicans oppossed it.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2023, 10:46:48 PM »

Not defending him. But important to note that his 2003-2004 views were very common at the time. 60% of Americans did not support gay marriage in 2003. George W. Bush most likely won the 2004 election because of anti gay marriage sentiment.

It wasn't until 2011 when a majority of Americans supported gay marriage and as late as 2014/2015, most Republicans oppossed it.

As I said like 2 posts up, it would be one thing if he clarified that he didn't believe those things anymore, but all signs point to him continuing to believe them.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2023, 10:47:44 PM »

Santos voted for this man to be speaker. Being a gay Republican is a form of self harm
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2023, 10:57:53 PM »

As I said like 2 posts up, it would be one thing if he clarified that he didn't believe those things anymore, but all signs point to him continuing to believe them.
Counter argument: He wasn't in congress until 2017. By that point, the debate was "settled" so there was no need to clearify his views. Don't get me wrong he probably still belives them but its not like anyone asked.

And until Roe was overturned last June, the idea was "settled".

Also, why would he? Most of the people in his very red district probably still shares some of these views. He wasn't running for speaker until a few days ago, not in 2016, 2018,2020 or 2022. Why would "evolve" on an issue that almost certainly would have cost him his career.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2023, 11:27:20 PM »

Counter argument: He wasn't in congress until 2017. By that point, the debate was "settled" so there was no need to clearify his views. Don't get me wrong he probably still belives them but its not like anyone asked.

Also, why would he? Most of the people in his very red district probably still shares some of these views. He wasn't running for speaker until a few days ago, not in 2016, 2018,2020 or 2022. Why would "evolve" on an issue that almost certainly would have cost him his career.

Correct me if I’m wrong but reporters have asked him about it recently and he refuses to comment
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 11:57:54 PM »

Correct me if I’m wrong but reporters have asked him about it recently and he refuses to comment

I think that was more about the 2020 election
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2023, 12:00:00 AM »

He's also a Young Earth Creationist lmfao
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2023, 12:24:59 AM »

Funny coming from a guy whose last name is Johnson.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2023, 11:39:21 AM »

I mean of course they will, thats political strategy but as a reporter you can.

And he didn’t answer the question about his stance on insurrection due to “political strategy.” So what makes you think he’d answer any questions regarding his previous stances on any issue?

As it stands right now, he is a traitor for supporting insurrection. He can come out against attempted coups but he has so far refused to do so.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2023, 01:40:25 PM »

Doesn't the GOP in Texas still ban the log cabin Republicans from their rallies, conferences, conventions, etc ?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2023, 02:46:10 PM »

Santos voted for this man to be speaker. Being a gay Republican is a form of self harm

Is he still gay this week?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2023, 02:54:59 PM »

It is fair to ask him if his views have changed

A lot of Republicans in the conference refused to support Emmer because he wasn't conservative enough on gay rights, yet they were perfectly comfortable with Johnson. I think that answers your question.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2023, 03:15:27 PM »

It is fair to ask him if his views have changed

A lot of Republicans in the conference refused to support Emmer because he wasn't conservative enough on gay rights, yet they were perfectly comfortable with Johnson. I think that answers your question.

It was more cause  Trump came out against Emmer 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies