GOP Presidential Debate - Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:40:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  GOP Presidential Debate - Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: GOP Presidential Debate - Discussion Thread  (Read 6891 times)
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2007, 09:05:12 PM »

I'd vote for most Democrats over Romney.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2007, 09:06:31 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2007, 09:42:40 PM by fe234 »

So when do the democrats stand in front of Brit Hume?  Tongue

Chris Matthews voted for Bush twice. Nice try though.

He's definitely a left-leaning independent though, I'd say.

I remember when Matthews was on The Daily Show being interviewed by Jon Stewart. (It's on the Indecision 2004 DVD set.) Stewart brought up that Kerry came on his show once.  Matthews asked Stewart if Stewart knew what Kerry's position on the war was. Matthews then said that he told Kerry to say what his position was on the war and make up his mind, quote "to make this election about something" unquote. I thought it was an odd comment for a journalist to make. It was a genuine statement, not some kind of cast-off laugh response.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2007, 09:07:38 PM »

Yes, even Scarborough said that.. wow... especially taking into account how Matthews gave him more time than the rest of them. hmm.

Romney was certainly the most polished by far, and he definitely seemed to get the most screen time.  We'll see if his poll numbers are affected.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #153 on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »

Yes, even Scarborough said that.. wow... especially taking into account how Matthews gave him more time than the rest of them. hmm.

Romney was certainly the most polished by far, and he definitely seemed to get the most screen time.  We'll see if his poll numbers are affected.

I doubt it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #154 on: May 03, 2007, 09:09:28 PM »

I won't say I'll vote for a Democrat, I'll vote third party though.

When will politicians from Massachusetts realize that no one in the rest of the country wants them for President? Ted Kennedy, Dukakis, Tsongas, Kerry, now Romney.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #155 on: May 03, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »

When will politicians from Massachusetts realize that no one in the rest of the country wants them for President? Ted Kennedy, Dukakis, Tsongas, Kerry, now Romney.

Hey! Watch it! My boy Weld is from MA!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: May 03, 2007, 09:16:37 PM »

I won't say I'll vote for a Democrat, I'll vote third party though.

Romney is a carpetbagger...he's techinically from Michigan...but you could also say Utah or Mass too.

I don't trust him at all. And I'd be inclined to vote democrat just so its harder for Mitt to win PA's 21 electoral votes.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #157 on: May 03, 2007, 09:21:31 PM »

I think live analysis is better than post-analysis because post-analysis always gets skewed toward one viewpoint. So here's a montage of blog posts from msnbc.com's First Read for a live view:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2007, 09:25:13 PM »

I think live analysis is better than post-analysis because post-analysis always gets skewed toward one viewpoint. So here's a montage of blog posts from msnbc.com's First Read for a live view:

-- McCain solid

Was he watching the same debate as the rest of us?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2007, 09:29:25 PM »

Haha, the bloggers at redstate.com agree with me that Duncan Hunter did the best!
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2007, 09:33:57 PM »

Haha, the bloggers at redstate.com agree with me that Duncan Hunter did the best!

Because they, like most ardent primary voters on either side...are well kinda nuts.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2007, 09:34:50 PM »

I'd say honestly that both McCain and Giuliani won the debate, with Huckabee and Romney behind them. Sam Brownback was decent, but is a kid compared to the rest of the field. McCain's opening comments on "IF WE LOST WHO WON?" were very angry and blunt. I loved Rudy's comments on the war on terror how if you watch the Democratic debate, not one candidate mentioned "global fundamentalist islamic terror".
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2007, 09:36:37 PM »

"John McCain won. Let's not dance around this."

The comments all say that mcCain did really bad.

"Duncan Hunter boosted his profile."

"Hunter did very well. McCain came across badly. The others were non-entitites."

TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2007, 09:37:32 PM »

I loved Rudy's comments on the war on terror how if you watch the Democratic debate, not one candidate mentioned "global fundamentalist islamic terror".

Because it's a ridiculous right-wing catch phrase used solely to scare the bejesus out of people.

Thank god Democrats don't use it.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2007, 09:37:51 PM »

"John McCain won. Let's not dance around this."

The comments all say that mcCain did really bad.

"Duncan Hunter boosted his profile."

"Hunter did very well. McCain came across badly. The others were non-entitites."

Read this, top post at this time. http://www.redstate.com/stories/elections/2008/who_won_who_lost_first_take#comment
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »

One thing I noticed about this debate was a happier more pleasant atmosphere. The democratic debate seemed so serious, boring and cold. Republicans were lively, happy and more warm.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2007, 10:05:04 PM »

I didn't get to record it so I'll watch it in full length later. I did see a brief part and, surprisingly, it wasn't that bad.

I just saw a clip of McCain saying he'd follow bin Laden "to the gates of hell." What the f--k does that mean? McCain banishes himself to hell?
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2007, 10:06:17 PM »

I didn't get to record it so I'll watch it in full length later. I did see a brief part and, surprisingly, it wasn't that bad.

I just saw a clip of McCain saying he'd follow bin Laden "to the gates of hell." What the f--k does that mean?

McCain plans to commit suicide so he can kill Osama bin Laden. A lot of things can drive McCain to suicide, apperently.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »

Romney is smart
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2007, 10:16:50 PM »

I thought that a conversation my dad and I had about Romney today was funny:

MY DAD: Who's that guy?
ME: That's Mitt Romney
MY DAD: Oh, I think he's too liberal for me
ME: Not anymore.
AngelFromKansas
Rookie

« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2007, 05:35:10 AM »

3/10 republicans dont believe in evolution; huckabee, tancredo and brownback.

i think brownback will gain traction and get at least 20% of the vote in Iowa
if no Conservative candidate emerges.
skybridge
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »

I know most of my Republican friends on here agree that the debate wasn't as interesting as the Democrats's. Tancredo effectively singled himself out as the Republican Richardson, with Thompson, while saying some half-agreeable things, a close second. I wonder how far Brownback's promise of continued "aggressive" foreign policy will take him. He could probably team up with Hunter for that one, though Hunter at least offers a half-agreeable environmental stance. Gilmore seems like your average politician and stood out most for his talking out of turn and his unusual tie. McCain effectively played the Republican Hillary, acting as if he'd already won the presidency et. al., a job he seems over-prepared for. Giuliani impressed by defying the party lines, even saying an agreeable thing or two, but he ultimately isn't much of a speaker, though an interesting character. Huckabee and Romney are both good speakers, and while all of Romney's current positions disgust me, Huckabee came across well in his opposition to outsourcing. This again leaves the outlier. Ron Paul played in a league of his own and became the Republican Mike Gravel. In fact, I found his foreign policy proposals better than most Democrats's. I personally liked Paul the best, but if I were to advise the Republicans, I'd say look for someone who speaks like Romney and talks like Huckabee--except for when it comes to evolution!
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2007, 07:11:42 AM »

Romney won and certainly should win the nod if Thompson does not run and certainly might even if he doesn't.  Of course, Tancredo did a great job and mananged to relate Scooter Libby to immigration without going off topic, great job.  Also his quotes on abortion were great.  Tancredo is a great guy and I still hope he at least makes a showing.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »

Hey! Watch it! My boy Weld is from MA!

Uh, I thought he was last claiming to be from New York.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:17 AM »

I'm sad to say I didn't watch the debate, though I have a very good reason.  My grandmother was just coming home from the hospital after having surgery the day before to clear out the remaining cancer cells.  She got home about 7:05 CT Thursday night and I had to go to bed by 9:00 so I could get up by 4:30 for work Friday morning.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies