Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:23:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiα, Gracile)
  Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race  (Read 2005 times)
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2023, 09:13:59 AM »

A municipal position is one where libertarian economic policy is especially unworkable. Spending money is the biggest part of the job because city government's main function is to provide services. If she wanted to have a chance she was definitely going to avoid ideas like privatizing public services and sharply cutting spending. People love city services more than anything else and will throw a fit if they are threatened.

I have not met these people Tongue

Then you don't spend much time paying attention to local government. Street paving is incredibly popular and where I live the city got pushback for using a cheaper method. Then there's trash services, street lights, police, fire, etc.

From Lily Wu's campaign site, which is easily accessible via a simple Google search:

"Priorities – Lily will never lose focus on the core services of local government: police, fire, water, and roads/infrastructure, all of which are essential to keeping our families safe."

"Civic Engagement – Lily is disappointed in the lack of civic engagement. She plans to support and promote civic engagement working with groups like the Civic Engagement Academy, Citizen Police Academy, and Wichita Fire Academy. Lily plans to create more opportunities for youth and young professionals to be civically engaged in Wichita."
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2023, 03:45:53 PM »

A municipal position is one where libertarian economic policy is especially unworkable. Spending money is the biggest part of the job because city government's main function is to provide services. If she wanted to have a chance she was definitely going to avoid ideas like privatizing public services and sharply cutting spending. People love city services more than anything else and will throw a fit if they are threatened.

Then you don't spend much time paying attention to local government. Street paving is incredibly popular and where I live the city got pushback for using a cheaper method. Then there's trash services, street lights, police, fire, etc.

From Lily Wu's campaign site, which is easily accessible via a simple Google search:

"Priorities – Lily will never lose focus on the core services of local government: police, fire, water, and roads/infrastructure, all of which are essential to keeping our families safe."

"Civic Engagement – Lily is disappointed in the lack of civic engagement. She plans to support and promote civic engagement working with groups like the Civic Engagement Academy, Citizen Police Academy, and Wichita Fire Academy. Lily plans to create more opportunities for youth and young professionals to be civically engaged in Wichita."

And as many other people have pointed out, her listed platforms/positions are blandly centrist, if anything -- certainly not Libertarian. 
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2023, 03:51:48 PM »

And as many other people have pointed out, her listed platforms/positions are blandly centrist, if anything -- certainly not Libertarian. 

So someone can't be a libertarian unless they actively want to dismantle basic public services? Interesting thesis. Guess I should change my avatar!
MRS DONNA SHALALA
cuddlebuns
South Africa

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2023, 09:41:35 PM »

So someone can't be a libertarian unless they actively want to dismantle basic public services? Interesting thesis. Guess I should change my avatar!

Uh, yeah kinda? This is from the official Libertarian party platform:

We call for the repeal of the income tax, the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We oppose any legal requirements forcing employers to serve as tax collectors. We support any initiative to reduce or abolish any tax, and oppose any increase on any tax for any reason. To the extent possible, we advocate that all public services be funded in a voluntary manner.”
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2023, 10:47:04 PM »

Uh, yeah kinda? This is from the official Libertarian party platform:

We call for the repeal of the income tax, the abolishment of the Internal Revenue Service and all federal programs and services not required under the U.S. Constitution. We oppose any legal requirements forcing employers to serve as tax collectors. We support any initiative to reduce or abolish any tax, and oppose any increase on any tax for any reason. To the extent possible, we advocate that all public services be funded in a voluntary manner.”

The ideology is not the party.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2023, 03:01:25 PM »

The Libertarian Party of Kansas did not recognize her as an official member of their party.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies