Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:02:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Libertarians look likely to win a big city mayoral race  (Read 2006 times)
Spectator
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2023, 02:05:44 PM »

In Wichita, KS where incumbent Brandon Whipple (D) has had some high profile gaffes and missteps, notably a Karen-type incident with local police.

https://amp.kansas.com/news/politics-government/election/article280635930.html
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »

Wu would be the first large city mayor in a Non-coastal state right?
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2023, 08:21:29 AM »
« Edited: October 22, 2023, 08:24:57 AM by A world of orphans »

The article you shared indicates that the party can’t even get the candidate to show up to events and debates with the incumbent. How exactly does that put her in prime position to unseat the incumbent…? I mean I know politicians can win without debating but it sounds like even the Libertarian Party is kind of okay with the current mayor:

”When it comes down to her platforms, those don’t always align [with the Libertarian Party],” Hayse said. “But then we have somebody in Brandon (Whipple) that is not actually registered with our party but he has worked with several of us on issues like the decriminalization of cannabis and other things and he has come to events before.”

Edit: I didn’t realize there was a primary earlier this year where she received a higher vote share than Whipple, my bad. Still I don’t know how well that strategy will play out in the runoff.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2023, 06:29:58 PM »

Calling Wichita a "big city" is very generous, but interesting nonetheless.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2023, 10:02:38 PM »

Wichita has a population of 400K and is in the top 50 in population in the US, I would call it a big city.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2023, 11:13:19 PM »

Wichita has a population of 400K and is in the top 50 in population in the US, I would call it a big city.

There are a lot of "Middle American" cities that don't have what people from the coasts think of as big city vibes but are way more populous and more economically significant than most of us tend to assume. Kansas City, Omaha, and various Midwestern state capitals like Indianapolis and Columbus come to mind as other examples of this.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2023, 11:33:55 PM »

There are a lot of "Middle American" cities that don't have what people from the coasts think of as big city vibes but are way more populous and more economically significant than most of us tend to assume. Kansas City, Omaha, and various Midwestern state capitals like Indianapolis and Columbus come to mind as other examples of this.

I think the issue is more that a “city” genuinely means nothing in American government as each individual city has a unique government. There is also the issue of MSA vs. City limits, which again are pretty useless when looking across cities as some have very confined borders and dozens of suburbs, like Los Angeles, or are massive and take in most of their suburbs, like Houston.

Wichita, by MSA, is 90th, in the area of Rochester, NY and Jackson, MS. So not insignificant, but not the top 50.

There’s also “prominence”. If you dropped Newark in western Kansas it’d be a mecca for the region, and prominently displayed on maps. But, since it’s so close to NYC most people don’t know it exists.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 11:16:44 AM »

I think the issue is more that a “city” genuinely means nothing in American government as each individual city has a unique government. There is also the issue of MSA vs. City limits, which again are pretty useless when looking across cities as some have very confined borders and dozens of suburbs, like Los Angeles, or are massive and take in most of their suburbs, like Houston.

Wichita, by MSA, is 90th, in the area of Rochester, NY and Jackson, MS. So not insignificant, but not the top 50.

There’s also “prominence”. If you dropped Newark in western Kansas it’d be a mecca for the region, and prominently displayed on maps. But, since it’s so close to NYC most people don’t know it exists.

I'd hesitate to ever call Newark a Mecca.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2023, 12:58:56 PM »

I'd hesitate to ever call Newark a Mecca.

Heh. Mesa, Arizona is larger than Newark.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2023, 01:41:10 PM »

Why are you looking at metro area for a mayoral race when the number of people in the city is what matters ?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2023, 02:05:15 PM »

Libertarian Party Scores Biggest Ever Election Win
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2023, 03:56:22 PM »

Not only does her website unsurprisingly not declare her libertarian affiliation, there's literally nothing in her policy positions which seem libertarian at all other than a generic statement against raising taxes on working families.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 03:58:37 PM »

She has an interesting background, she seems to be of Chinese ancestry but was born in Guatemala(?)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2023, 04:17:11 PM »

A municipal position is one where libertarian economic policy is especially unworkable. Spending money is the biggest part of the job because city government's main function is to provide services. If she wanted to have a chance she was definitely going to avoid ideas like privatizing public services and sharply cutting spending. People love city services more than anything else and will throw a fit if they are threatened.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 04:27:27 PM »

A municipal position is one where libertarian economic policy is especially unworkable. Spending money is the biggest part of the job because city government's main function is to provide services. If she wanted to have a chance she was definitely going to avoid ideas like privatizing public services and sharply cutting spending. People love city services more than anything else and will throw a fit if they are threatened.

I have not met these people Tongue

Anyway, my understanding is that Wu is basically just a socially liberal Republican, not someone ideologically committed to destroying public services. (That would be the possible next President of Argentina you're thinking of). Also as I've discussed previously the Libertarian Party is basically a subculture and it has many more Christmas-and-Easter libertarians than you would think; many of the most ideological libertarians actually join the Republican Party.

In general, control over the Libertarian Party has oscillated before between 'surprisingly quite culturally right-wing' (1988/1992/2004) and 'not really all that culturally right-wing' (other years); the former takes control occasionally but the latter tends to win more often, because the former -- while it can usually command greater numbers in the electorate, actually -- tends to get distracted and joins the GOP or other right-wing parties. (Also, the latter is a political machine but very much also a subculture, in which at this point people have, like, grown up and married. It is more committed to the organization but less committed to the ideology than you'd expect and contains a number of, like, 'Christmas and Easter' libertarians.)
xavier110
United States
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2023, 04:38:00 PM »

This is the Kochs’ backyard. AFP went all in for Wu here. Shouldn’t be seen as some third party underdog triumph.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2023, 04:39:00 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2023, 05:21:10 PM by DrScholl »

Then you don't spend much time paying attention to local government. Street paving is incredibly popular and where I live the city got pushback for using a cheaper method. Then there's trash services, street lights, police, fire, etc.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2023, 05:20:10 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2023, 05:24:20 PM by Ferguson97 »

Having a large population is necessary, but insufficient to be classified as a "big city". For example, even though the two have very similar populations, Atlanta and Miami are "big cities", but Wichita is not.

You also have to have a distinct culture. Atlanta and Miami have culture. Wichita does not.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2023, 05:32:35 PM »

You also have to have a distinct culture. Atlanta and Miami have culture. Wichita does not.

Strongly disagree. I'm not a fan of subjective criteria such as "culture". I think you are penalizing Wichita because it is in flyover land. To me the only question is what population threshold you use in defining a major city.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2023, 05:34:37 PM »

Then you don't spend much time paying attention to local government. Street paving is incredibly popular and where I live there city got pushback for using a cheaper method. Then there's trash services, street lights, police, fire, etc.

I think he was merely poking fun at your somewhat hyperbolic statement that there are some people who love city services more than anything in their lives.

Your point is well taken, but as noted in an earlier post looking at Wu's campaign website she talks about strengthening city services making sure firefighters and police get all the support they need, working to support City businesses, etc. She's indeed sounds like Vosem's description of a generic moderate to conservative republican.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 05:37:01 PM »

She will likely govern as a moderate clasical liberal / continental liberal.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2023, 05:40:04 PM »

Do you think she could run for congress when Estes retires?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 05:44:44 PM »

Then you don't spend much time paying attention to local government. Street paving is incredibly popular and where I live there city got pushback for using a cheaper method. Then there's trash services, street lights, police, fire, etc.

I think he was merely poking fun at your somewhat hyperbolic statement that there are some people who love city services more than anything in their lives.

Your point is well taken, but as noted in an earlier post looking at Wu's campaign website she talks about strengthening city services making sure firefighters and police get all the support they need, working to support City businesses, etc. She's indeed sounds like Vosem's description of a generic moderate to conservative republican.

I never said "more than anything in their lives", I meant more than anything else when it comes to local politics and selecting politicians. When it comes to city government they often prioritize those issues over the national ones. But next time I'll remember to break down my posts very literally so no one gets confused. And please don't misinterpret my post, I never accused Wu of running a campaign on cutting services. My statement was based on the fact that she didn't run a Libertarian campaign based on deep cuts, because that wouldn't work at the city level.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »

She has an interesting background, she seems to be of Chinese ancestry but was born in Guatemala(?)

More of these than one might expect. Human rights campaigners Myrna Mack Chang and Helen Mack Chang are other examples, as well as Kevin de León’s father.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2023, 11:03:38 AM »

FWIW Wichita is one of those cities where the mayor is really just an extra city council member with some ceremonial duties and the city manager really runs things. So she probably won't have much influence regardless.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies