Why Youngkin keeps advocating 15 week abortion ban before the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:16:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why Youngkin keeps advocating 15 week abortion ban before the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why Youngkin keeps advocating 15 week abortion ban before the election?  (Read 1024 times)
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: 1.22

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 16, 2023, 12:01:45 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2023, 02:29:31 PM by David Hume »

Does he really think it is a winning message? I understand he may indeed want to do it, but the he needs to win both Houses first. Some key districts are upscale suburban. How could this play well there? Is he that delusional?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 12:11:19 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2023, 05:59:47 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

He is overconfident that his party can win in spite of that because muh DeSantis, DeWine, and Kemp; probably.

I say, let him. If it's a bad year for his party, ultimately, it will have proved him to be a lucky candidate back in 2021 rather than a truly formidable one.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2023, 02:18:09 PM »

Because he supports it and either
A- Feels like it won't make much of a difference
B- Feels Strongly enough about it that he doesn't care about electoral consequences
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2023, 11:18:09 PM »

He is overconfident that his party can win in spite of that because muh DeSantis, DeWine, and Kemp; probably.

I say, let him. If it's a bad year for his party, ultimately, it will have proved him to be a lucky candidate back in 2021 rather than a truly formidable one.
He should know well enough that his state is well to the left of these ones. And even these governors did not campaign on abortion. I can understand that Youngkin would ban it after he get trifecta, but why campaign on it before election???
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2023, 12:15:51 AM »

He should know well enough that his state is well to the left of these ones. And even these governors did not campaign on abortion. I can understand that Youngkin would ban it after he get trifecta, but why campaign on it before election???

Hubris.
Red Wall

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 06:40:17 AM »

Because it hasn't made him any less popular
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2023, 08:40:13 AM »

Because it hasn't made him any less popular

He is certainly testing that. McAuliffe brought up abortion at times in 2021 and I have to wonder if some voters are remorseful for not listening then.
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 07:27:29 PM »

His state is to the right of Florida on the abortion issue.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 07:30:33 PM »

Not really, a 15-week ban is at 39/54 in the new Wason poll. VA seems pretty pro-choice.
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 07:31:08 PM »

Not really, a 15-week ban is at 39/54 in the new Wason poll. VA seems pretty pro-choice.
FL is pro-choice +16. VA is only pro-choice +13, according to aggregate of 3 polls.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2023, 07:36:43 PM »

FL is pro-choice +16. VA is only pro-choice +13, according to aggregate of 3 polls.
VA may have a lot of prolifers in the deep red rurals, but they don't matter for legislative elections. What decide the control are the few suburban seats, which abortion is toxic.

DeSantis can afford to lose tons of suburban seats since he supermajorities of over 2:1 margin. Youngkin cannot.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2023, 09:08:00 PM »

VA may have a lot of prolifers in the deep red rurals, but they don't matter for legislative elections. What decide the control are the few suburban seats, which abortion is toxic.

DeSantis can afford to lose tons of suburban seats since he supermajorities of over 2:1 margin. Youngkin cannot.

I don't think it was crazy or unwinnable to run on a 15 week limit in VA, but he may have created an EV/PV style problem for his party for this reason.  FWIW 2021 was like an R+4 PV and they only won the HoD 52/48 through recounts.  The map was if anything more R back then, too.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 02:30:15 PM »

I don't think it was crazy or unwinnable to run on a 15 week limit in VA, but he may have created an EV/PV style problem for his party for this reason.  FWIW 2021 was like an R+4 PV and they only won the HoD 52/48 through recounts.  The map was if anything more R back then, too.
https://twitter.com/L2political/status/1714661451846078895
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 02:59:25 PM »

My point is that the PV is only D+1 (consistently now, in pretty much every poll of this that has ever been released)!
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 03:56:43 PM »

My point is that the PV is only D+1 (consistently now, in pretty much every poll of this that has ever been released)!
My guess right now is a tied PV, 21 D Senate, and 50-50 House.
David Hume
davidhume
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 12:04:23 AM »

If he didn't campaign on abortion ban, he may actually flip the sensate and keep the house.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 11:38:16 AM »
« Edited: October 19, 2023, 11:41:57 AM by Skill and Chance »

If he didn't campaign on abortion ban, he may actually flip the sensate and keep the house.

Perhaps, but the math starts to look a lot different if Republicans have accepted that the state senate is out of reach absent something extraordinary and are playing to hold or at least tie the HoD.  There are a ton of 30-40% black/Hispanic seats near the median in the HoD that extend into some rural areas as well.  Those districts might actually be more pro-life than traditionally Republican.  If you don't expect to make much headway in the suburbs anyway, this is a reasonable strategy. 

The risk is driving up college turnout or blowing narrow Biden districts in outer NOVA.  The major downstate college town seats in the HoD are well right of median and showing unremarkable tunout so far, but the latter risk might actually be playing out in HD-30.  Overall, this approach worked for Youngkin as well.  He didn't gain as much you would expect in Richmond, college towns, and parts of NOVA but made up for it everywhere else.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2023, 11:43:15 AM »

Perhaps, but the math starts to look a lot different if Republicans have accepted that the state senate is out of reach absent something extraordinary and are playing to hold or at least tie the HoD.  There are a ton of 30-40% black/Hispanic seats near the median in the HoD that extend into some rural areas as well.  Those districts might actually be more pro-life than traditionally Republican.  If you don't expect to make much headway in the suburbs anyway, this is a reasonable strategy. 

The risk is driving up college turnout or blowing narrow Biden districts in outer NOVA.  The major downstate college town seats in the HoD are well right of median and showing unremarkable tunout so far, but the latter risk might actually be playing out in HD-30.  Overall, this approach worked for Youngkin as well.  He didn't gain as much you would expect in Richmond, college towns, and parts of NOVA but made up for it everywhere else.

So going all in on abortion is, in your mind, a circle the wagons type of thing?
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2023, 02:09:52 PM »

He's just being plain ol' silly. It's part of his appeal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies