Roger Waters reveals he is an anti-Semite, while documentary by former Jewish collaborators confirms
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:47:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Roger Waters reveals he is an anti-Semite, while documentary by former Jewish collaborators confirms
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Roger Waters reveals he is an anti-Semite, while documentary by former Jewish collaborators confirms  (Read 542 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:00:41 PM »

Roger's piece:

https://www.palestinechronicle.com/my-heart-is-heavy-to-whom-it-may-concern-please-stop-roger-waters/

Select quotes:

Let’s address last Saturday morning. Did the Palestinian resistance fighters who broke out of the open air prison that is Gaza have a legal right and a moral obligation to fight back against the occupier of their land? Yes, they did.

This would mean Israel accepting that the Zionist experiment has failed, because it can only be continued with more killing. It would also mean the end of Israel’s illegal military occupation of all Palestinian land.

To be clear, Zionists would have to accept that they have had their chance and failed to establish a viable State. If you go back and read the history and all the stuff that David Ben-Gurion and Golda Meir, among many other, espoused, you can see that Zionism was always bound to fail in a world that agrees that religious or ethnic-supremacist ideologies are non starters in these recently enlightened times.

Rolling Stone article about his anti-Semitism:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-commentary/roger-waters-antisemitism-allegations-palestine-support-1234834848/

Roger Waters has long denied he’s antisemitic. His former collaborators — including the celebrated producer Bob Ezrin — are telling a different story.

A new documentary, The Dark Side of Roger Waters, includes claims from Ezrin and former Waters saxophonist Norbert Stachel. Both are Jewish, and both claim Waters made offensive remarks about Jewish people to them. The documentary, a 37-minute project produced by the U.K. group Campaign Against Antisemitism, also includes screenshots of a 2010 email Waters wrote to his team that suggested emblazoning his famous inflatable pig with a Star of David and insults like “dirty k***.”

This is far from the first time Waters has been labeled antisemitic, though it’s maybe the first time the allegations against him have come from close associates citing specific instances where he allegedly denigrated Jewish people. Ezrin — who produced Pink Floyd’s The Wall — recalled Waters making up a song about the band’s former agent, Bryan Morrison: “I can’t remember the exact circumstance,” Ezrin said, “but something like, you know … the last line of the couplet was, ‘Cause Morry is a ing Jew.’ It was my first inclination that there may be some antisemitism under the surface.”

Stachel, meanwhile, claimed Waters once grew frustrated during a vegetarian meal, eventually declaring, “That’s it! That’s it! Where’s the meat? Where’s the meat? What’s with this? This is Jew food! What’s with the Jew food? Take away the Jew food!”

Additionally, Stachel said he once told Waters about his Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, including relatives murdered in the Holocaust; Waters allegedly turned it into an offensive bit. Stachel claimed Waters said he could “introduce” him to his dead grandmother with an impression of a Polish peasant. The saxophonist said Waters “tried to go into character as a babushka,” describing it it as “like a slapstick, insulting way someone would think a person of no education and low class, and maybe not really smart, would speak and talk.”

Stachel added, “What got me was, after he does it, he goes, ‘Now you’ve met your grandmother. How do you feel now?’”

To think I used to idolize this man makes me physically ill. I'm not sure I'll ever listen to Pink Floyd again. He is a vile, narcissistic, anti-Semitic, hypocritical Nazi. He is everything his father fought against and died fighting. What an absolute disgrace. He would have been better off dying at least a few years ago when his legacy was still secure and before he showed the world just how much "the lunatic is on the grass." Never seen more of a downfall from great heights than this before, which is saying something. I can listen to Michael Jackson and R. Kelly and Kanye West; I don't know if I can ever listen to Roger Waters again. It just hurts too much.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 05:08:33 PM »

Well you are a clear anti-Roger Watersite.

Everyone has his own opinions, one has to respect that. But I don't listen Pink Floyd either, because i don't like their music.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 05:10:44 PM »

Everyone has his own opinions, one has to respect that. But I don't listen Pink Floyd either, because i don't like their music.

I don't "have to respect" Nazi and Nazi-adjacent opinions at all.

You'd think as someone from Belgium, you'd agree.

Also to call me an "anti-Roger Watersite" is absurd on multiple levels. Not only is it absurd to accuse disdain for one person as being equivalent to the ancient prejudice against an entire ethnicity, it's also absurd to accuse me in particular of hating Roger Waters when I have gone out of my way to defend him for decades. I can't do it anymore. It really breaks my heart that it's come to this, because I LOVE Pink Floyd, but here we are. His Russia views were the next-to-last straw, and this one broke the camel's back. I won't burn my Pink Floyd records, if only because they can still sell well, but I'll probably never listen to them again.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 05:23:43 PM »

Also to call me an "anti-Roger Watersite" is absurd on multiple levels. Not only is it absurd to accuse disdain for one person as being equivalent to the ancient prejudice against an entire ethnicity, it's also absurd to accuse me in particular of hating Roger Waters when I have gone out of my way to defend him for decades. I can't do it anymore. It really breaks my heart that it's come to this, because I LOVE Pink Floyd, but here we are. His Russia views were the next-to-last straw, and this one broke the camel's back. I won't burn my Pink Floyd records, if only because they can still sell well, but I'll probably never listen to them again.

I don't think he is a nazi or has nazi opinions, but again i respect your opinion as well Wink. I am not familiar with every one of his opinions and haven't even read your opening post, because at the end of the day Roger Waters isn't really rleevant for politics.

I will say though that Waters is only 1 member of the band, i suppose you could ignore The Wall, but like pre-1973 Pink Floyd is more Syd Barrett Pink Floyd and you could still appreciate the music without the artist.

I mean, i know a lot of artists who i don't like on a personal level but like their music because i love the music. Artists are always a bit off and weird.
Blow by blow, the passion dies
LeonelBrizola
YaBB God
Brazil

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 06:02:58 PM »

The Wall was sincere
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2023, 06:05:34 PM »

The sensationalist thread title doesn’t match with the actual news.

I love Pink Floyd and Roger Waters, he’s on tour and will make a show here in my city in 2 weeks and of course I bought the tickets.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2023, 07:17:47 PM »

Everyone has his own opinions, one has to respect that.

No, one doesn't.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 07:21:36 PM »

Everyone has his own opinions, one has to respect that.

No, one doesn't.

Well... it depends on what exactly perhaps.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2023, 07:23:13 PM »

From my experience, many leftists use their support for Palestine to conceal their virulent antisemitism.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2023, 09:42:53 PM »

The good news is I'll always still have Bob Dylan and Lou Reed (both, incidentally, Jews).

Those two combined with Roger Waters were the trio of singer/songwriters I looked up to the most since adolescence. Waters is excommunicated from that group as of today, but Reed is dead and his legacy is secure, and Dylan was always a genius on another level from the rest and on top of that he has always been staunchly pro-Israel.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2023, 11:44:14 PM »

The good news is I'll always still have Bob Dylan and Lou Reed (both, incidentally, Jews).
Bob Dylan converted to Christianity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2023, 11:46:12 PM »

Bob Dylan converted to Christianity.
Yes, and still is a practicing Christian. His music from 1979-1981 is some of the best Gospel material out there.

When I saw Bob Dylan in 2016 in Fort Lauderdale, just weeks after the 2016 presidential election, I saw a man wearing a Pink Floyd shirt get accosted by a guy with a thick New York accent who yelled " Roger Waters, anti-semite." It was rather surreal.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2023, 11:49:10 PM »

Anyway Alben, you should now see the advantage of listening to emo. All the musicians are just standard typical liberals, so you don't have this problem! I mean I guess you might be disappointed that most of them supported Bernie, but you have to admit Bernie is WAY better politically than Roger Waters.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2023, 01:46:51 PM »

IIRC, it has been pretty well-documented for many years that Waters is a pretty vicious anti-Semite.  I first heard about it earlier this year when he literally gave a performance in Berlin while wearing a full Nazi uniform complete with a swastika armband, but he’s been doing and saying stuff like this for over a decade.  It may be getting attention again because of recent events, but this is very much a case of someone who is anti-Semitic rather than just anti-Israel.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2023, 02:00:53 PM »

hell ya bro f roger waters

AMERICA and LIBERTY and DEMOCRACY were built on kicking NAZI and COMMUNIST ass, if roger waters LOVES HITLER so much he should MOVE AWAY from our GREAT NATION which sent HITLER back to HELL where he belonged!

Roger Waters is 80 year old, so before he faces eternity I hope that he realizes that ADOLF HITLER was a DEMON and that he is WORSHIPING DEMONS with this crap he is doing and REPENTS of his hateful ways!
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2023, 05:11:35 PM »

He is definitely the hardest for me to square when it comes to his art and personality. Though I always he thought he was kind if pompous and arrogant at a minimum even before he started going off the deep end.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies