Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:52:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Papal Conclave - 2007 The Vatican - Habemus Papam... Leo XIV!!!  (Read 42027 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2007, 08:32:26 PM »

Alexander Cardinal Cheng
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 11:20:02 PM »

Imamu Cardinal M’Fuma
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 05:54:59 AM »

John Cardinal Lumbayo.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 01:18:18 PM »

Eugen Cardinal von Frick
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »

*Shot of black smoke rising up*

Reporter:  And we can clearly see that that is black smoke rising up above the Chapel.  And that means that the first balloting is concluded and we do not have a Pope.  We are hear now with Richard McBrien again.  Sir, your reaction?

McBrien:  Well, this is to be expected, certainly, if a Pope were elected on the first ballot, it would be unprecidented, at least in the last 1000 years.  Right now, many of the Cardinals are just starting to get to know one eachother, most of them have not had a chance to speak or interact yet, and they certainly didn't get that chance in the last Conclave, so this first vote, while it is certainly going to set the tone for the following ballots, it doesn't mean that much.  A lot of the Cardinals are simply going to vote for a name they have heard of.

Reporter:  And what are some of those names?  I mean, I know there is no way of us knowing, but who do you think recieved the most votes for this ballot?

McBrien:  Well, certainly Henry Hume, who is the Cardinal Secretary of State probably recieved a lot of votes.  He is one person that everyone in the Conclave is familar with, and he is a safe choice early on.  Other than that, several memebers of the Curia, ummmm, Meier, Cheng, von Frick, all big names.  I heard a rumor that the Italian Cardinals were putting up Cardinals Antonelli and Bertone as their two choices.  We will just have to see who emerges on the other side.

Reporter:  Thank you, again.  Now back to the news room.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:15 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2007, 02:37:38 PM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

The Results of the 1st Ballot are as follows
Hume - 13
von Frick - 7
Antonelli - 7
Meier - 6
de Andrade - 5
Ribeirio - 5
Cheng - 5
Yates - 4
Miller - 4
Lumbayo - 4
Bertone - 4
Santiago - 4
Jergovic - 3
Vallencant - 3
dePalma - 3
Ramos - 3
Cruijff - 2
Singh - 3
Bassman - 2
Szklar - 2
Tagola - 1
Scherer- 1
M' Fuma - 1

Hume ---->   Hume
Ribeiro ---->   Lumbayo
Cheng ---->   Cheng
von Frick ---->   Ribeiro
Yates ---->   Hume
Meier ---->   Lumbayo
Miller ---->   Miller
Jergovic ---->   Jergovic
Antonelli ---->   von Frick
Cruijff ---->   Miller
Vallencant ---->   Antonelli
de Palma ---->     de Andrade
de Andrade ---->   von Frick
Lumbayo ---->   Santiago
Singh ---->   M'Fuma

Curia   

McCannon ---->   von Frick
Romano ---->   Bertone
Hernandez ---->   Hume
Sepe ---->   Antonelli
Bertone ---->   Cruijff
Adofo ---->   Lumbayo
Shah ---->   Cheng
Wildauer ---->   Cheng

Other Key Cardinals

Santiago ---->   de Palma
O'Hara ---->   Cruijff
Sherer ---->   Meier
Tagola ---->   Ribeiro
Medina ---->   de Palma
Bassman    ---->     Hume
Ramos ---->   Cheng
Montini ---->   Bertone
Szklar ---->   Meier
Rudo ---->   Santiago

Europeans   

Rezzonico    ----> Antonelli
Lambertini ---->   Antonelli
Altieri ---->   Antonelli
Ganganelli ---->   Bertone
Braschi ---->   Bertone
Errigo ---->   Antonelli
Caprelli ---->   Antonelli
Huber ---->   von Frick
Robidzer ---->   von Frick
Schontag ---->   Hume
Schuler ---->   Scherer
Reyes ---->   Ribeiro
Diaz ---->   Ribeiro
Soto ---->   de Andrade
Cruz ---->   Hume
Herrera ---->   von Frick
Pascal ---->   Hume
Boulanger ---->   Vallencant
Alexandre    ----> Valencant
Gardocki    ----> Szklar
Howard ---->   Hume
MacMillian ---->   Miller
Papp ---->   Hume
Balla ---->    Meier
Timochenko ---->   Jergovic
Mineric ---->   Szklar
Adamkus ---->   Jergovic
Kelley ---->   Miller

North America

Fitzgibbon ---->   Hume
Latello ---->   Meier
Gabler ---->   Bassman
Sanchez ---->   Hume
Stojeck ---->   Bassman
Legrand ---->   Vallencant

Latin America   

da Silva ---->   Ribeiro
Alves ---->   de Andrade
Lopez ---->   de Andrade
Garcia ---->   Hume
Zambrano ---->   Ramos
Ramirez ---->   de Andrade
Pinera ---->   Ramos
de Arroyo    ----> Ramos
de Lugo ---->   Santiago
Rias ---->   Santiago

Africa   

Tyler ---->   Cheng
Kobe ---->   Lumbayo
Rudo ---->   Yates
Sauda ---->   Meier
Chike ---->   Yates
M'Fuma ---->   Yates
Zari ---->   Yates

Asia   

Gayan ---->   Singh
Majboo ---->   Tagola
Michiba ---->   Meier
Purnomo ---->   von Frick
Ho ---->   Singh
Kulop ---->   Singh
Lynch ---->   Hume

And the voting results are inconclusive.  I ask everyone to please pary tonight and get a good nights sleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are now in the "influencing" stage.  Everyone, please read the rules.  Good luck.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007, 10:45:16 PM »

Cardinal von Frick, using a cane, rises:

Perhaps I won't be "influencing" anyone, but I'm interested in how the cardinals see the sacramental role of the Church.

I'd prefer the others to go first.

(I hope I'm in the right place to do this.)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »

Cardinal von Frick, using a cane, rises:

Perhaps I won't be "influencing" anyone, but I'm interested in how the cardinals see the sacramental role of the Church.

I'd prefer the others to go first.

(I hope I'm in the right place to do this.)

Yes, of course dear friend.  Is there anyone who would like to answer the Cardinal's question?

Note:  This will not be counted as your speech
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »

Cardinal von Frick, perhaps you could clarify your question.

All Cardinals are invited to speak.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2007, 11:29:08 PM »

Cardinal von Frick, perhaps you could clarify your question.

All Cardinals are invited to speak.

I would like to ask all my brother Cardinals to describe what they see as the sacramental nature of the Church?  What is the importance of the sacraments in relation to the other functions of the Church?

Perhaps, I should go first?  (Several Cardinals nod.)

Our Church is a vessel for the granting of the Sacraments to the faithful.

(Von Frick stands, leaning on his cane.)

While we provide moral leadership, though this has not always been the case, unfortunately, while we provide preachers and theologians, of which I am cursed to be one, while we provide council to parishioners, from small children to great leaders, while we provide places of worship from tiny churches to this great edifice that we find ourselves in today, we are ultimately a vessel for Divine Grace.  That is our supreme role as the Church in this thing we call the world.

Sorry if I've bored you all.  I'll sit down now.

(Von Frick smiles, leans on his cane, and lowers himself into his chair.)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:52 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2007, 02:32:34 PM by SoFA Gabu »

(Jergović rises once von Frick sits back down)

Picking up from where the esteemed von Frick left off (smiles and nods in his direction), let me read a short passage from the Bible.  I believe you all know it; indeed, I believe that many outside of these walls, and even those who are not Christian, know this passage:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."

That is John 3:16, perhaps the most famous passage out of the entire Bible.  It has been so entered into popular culture within the Western world that many people may simply take it for granted, and it may have lost its deep meaning within the minds of many.  But it is famous not for no reason, but for a very good reason.  It encapsulates the very essence of the faith that we all share.  That the way to eternal life is through belief in Christ, our Savior.

And what does belief mean, exactly?  Jesus himself described it very well in Matthew 25:34-40.  If I may indulge myself so that we all are on the same page, that passage reads, in part, as follows:

"Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me."

And it is at this point that many people might become confused.  The Lord is our divine creator, not simply some man on the street.  How could anybody do these things?

But Jesus anticipated such questions, and continued, directing his next words at those who might ask such questions:

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, 'Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'"

These two verses, in tandem, to me, form the fundamental cornerstone of Christianity.  Jesus, the sinless Son of God, led an extraordinary life, even if one mentions neither his status as the Son of God nor the miracles he performed.  To me, belief in Christ is not simply the belief that he was the Son of God - though this is nonetheless a very important part - but is also the belief in what he did.  For he told his followers that when they feed the hungry, and quench the thirsty, and house the homeless, and tend to the sick and infirm, that God will see all of this and reward them once their work on Earth is complete.  One of the more famous lines that Jesus told his followers is that of "The meek shall inherit the Earth" - this is, in a nutshell, what he described above: that the Lord wants us all to tend to those who have little in life, that we all may be brought closer to the glory of God.

My apologies to my brother, von Frick, as this may seem unrelated to his question.  But fear not, dear brother, as I am, in fact, on the road to answering your question.

As I said, I believe that what I have related to you is the pure essence of what it means to be a Christian, and that, therefore, all other things are but paths that one can follow to arrive at the ultimate grace of God, who wishes with all his heart to know all people on Earth.

But I do not mean to disparage the sacraments, so my brothers, do not take my words to do this harshness to them.  Far from it, in fact.  I believe that the sacraments can often be a very important part of one's faith.  The sacraments can be taken roughly in a chronological order, at least for the first five; I will do so now.

First, there is baptism.  If a child truly knows why he or she has been baptised, he may understand in a very vivid way what the healing power of Jesus is about - that a person may have their sins washed away through following and belief in Christ.

Second, the confirmation.  Again, though this is administered at different times in different cultures, the purpose is the same: to ensure that the faithful understand their faith, and to give them the courage to continue their journey with Christ to the betterment of the world and then to eternal bliss beside the Lord.

Third, the Holy Eucharist.  Here, one is reminded of Jesus' words at the Last Supper, where he instructed his followers to eat bread, to represent his body, and to drink from the cup, to represent his blood.  I have heard many jokes about this from children regarding the vaguely cannibalistic overtones (smiles and lightly chuckles) of the way that Jesus put this particular lesson, but I always simply smile and pat them on the head and explain the true meaning behind this.  The true nature of what Jesus meant, as I see it, is that to eat the bread and to drink from the cup provides an excellent physical representation of the action of allowing Christ into oneself, such that one may be led by Christ though life.  It is a very profound action, to say the least, when one considers its meaning.

Fourth, matrimony.  While the subject of marriage has become regretfully trivialized within many segments of Western culture, it nonetheless remains one of the most profound statements any human can make, when two people fall in love and announce to the world and to God that they will spend every day with each other, becoming one flesh, and honoring God together.  God is love, as he has told his followers many times, and there is nothing more godly than a pure and unabashed expression of love, that both may swear off sin and help each other along the road of Christ.

Fifth, the Holy Orders.  For the word of the Lord to truly reach all people, such that our Lord may know all Humankind as he so deeply desires, there must be those whose faith is strong and unwavering enough that they may go unto the world and spread the Gospel both through teaching and through profound example.  Therefore, this, too, is a means to bring all people to unity and harmony in Christ.

Sixth, penance.  I am sure at least most of you have heard of the so-called Seven Deadly Sins, and pride is always, always regarded as the worst of them all.  And this is for good reason, for it is through pride that one may become blind to all other offenses against God and one's bretheren.  It is only through humility and humbleness that one may identify that one is being lead astray from the path of Christ onto the path of wickedness that causes grief both to God and to mankind.  Penance is the simple recognition that one is imperfect, and that it is only through Christ that one may purge himself of his evil thoughts and actions and may please the Lord through faith and compassion for one's fellow man.

And finally, seventh, anointing of the sick, or more commonly known as the last rites.  When one has done one's duty to the Lord, the only thing left for those who the Lord knows is to finally enter into the bliss that is the presence of the Lord.  James 5:14-15 offers hope and courage for any man, as it says the following:

"Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

So it is seen that here, too, even the last rites are a passage along the road of Christ, to the glory of God, that all men may come before God and that God may say to them, simply, "Welcome home."

So in conclusion, let no man say that I ever disparage the sacraments.  Indeed, I feel that the sacraments may well be an important part of the salvation of many, many people.  Though some may come to know Christ without their aid, still many others owe their salvation to their symbolism and their power.  Thus may it never be stated that anything that led a man to Christ is anything short of holy and good.  For to truly know the Lord is to lead a fulfilling life of compassion and goodwill for all mankind.  And the fundamental purpose before our Church is the simple task of endeavoring to allow all people on Earth to have this experience.

I dearly apologize for having spent so much time, but this is a subject near and dear to my heart, and I thank my brother von Frick for allowing me the opportunity to speak on such a powerful thing in so many people's lives.

(Jergović seats himself down)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 01:10:33 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2007, 03:12:40 AM by Pierre Cardinal LaCroix »

Note:  I am allowing this long answer because it is an answer to a specific question, as opposed to a speech designed to cover several issues.

Also, thank you Gabu for giving us an overview of each sacrament, should any of the other players not be fully aware.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 07:02:22 AM »

(Cruijff stands to speak)

My brother Cardinals,

Cardinal von Frick has raised a most important issue which goes to the very heart of what it is we do, of what ur function is as disciples of Christ.
My respected brother Cardinal said:
Our Church is a vessel for the granting of the Sacraments to the faithful.

This is certainly true - the sacrements are crucial and central to our function and our place in this world. However, our work in not to simply to carry out these sacrements, it is much more fundamental than that - our mission is much more simple than that - it is to spread the word of our Lord and saviour. To encourage as he did respect and understanding, to promote good works and most of all to promote faith in God.

The sacrements are tools we have been granted to help achieve these goals and they can are and will remain central to the work of the Church, but we must never lose sight of our ultimate aims and ambitions in doing so.

(Cruijff returns to his chair.)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »

Brothers, while I applaud Cardinal Frick for his devotion and thought-provoking question, I must beg to offer a different perspective. When I first became responsible, or rather recieved the honour of sharing the burden of responsibility, of my fellow human beings' spirits, in the small town of Accompong, I recieved many questions. The young girl who was pregnant with a child who's father she didn't know. The man who had tragically lost his family and his faith along with it. The young man who wanted to be a monk but was not sure he could handle the sacrifices involved. But not once during my five years did I recieve a question about the role of the sacraments. This is not intended, I wish to stress very clearly, to diminish the importance of such questions. They are important and need to be discussed. But it is the kind of questions that the laymen, rightly in my opinion, expect us to solve internally, so that we can meet them with the answers to their everyday problems.

Because, let me ask you this, brother Cardinals; while it may be a problem that the one billion Catholics of this world have differing opinions on the way to communicate with God, isn't is a bigger problem that there are billions of people who do not believe there is a God to communicate with? While we should of course try to convince Protestants and the various sects that exist to conform to the true Christianity, the majority of the world's inhabitants are not Christian at all. Of course we want people to believe in the right way, using the correct form. But there are those who do not believe at all, in any way whatsoever!

So, we should work hard on the various theological disputes, and I believe there are many great minds here today who will do their best in these areas. On the issue raised by Cardinal Frick, I myself mostly concur with the sentiments expressed by Cardinal Jergovic. But when we discuss what to do with the future of the Church I believe the moral imperative for us all must be to make sure that as many people as possible accept the word of God and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, instead of turning to false prophets or empty materialism. And a Church soleley devoted to high-level theological disputes will not achieve that.

Thank you.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2007, 03:36:34 PM »

(Cardinal Miller rises and peers around)

Brothers, we have heard many opinions on the sanctity and importance of the Sacrements in the Church.  Some of these opinions differ from one another but I believe they all have been respectable and have their own unique points. So I thank the conclave for keeping these expressions of views respectable.

As for myself, I believe the Sacrements play an intrical part in distinguishing Gods Church.  All the Sacrements have their own unique powers that God bestows upon us.  In my view, the Sacrements strengthen our souls and bring us closer to God.   
However, some believe that only through the Sacrements can we find Jesus and through him Salvation.  I beg to differ from this opinion.  Don't get me wrong, I think the Sacrements make us grow with God and help us on the road to Salvation but they are not the sole purpose of the Chruch nor are they absoutely neccessary for Salvation. 
An example of this would be the case of infant Limbo.  As you know, some infants die in birth and are not given the gift of Baptism. Therefore, they are send directly to hell because Adam and Eve's original sin is still upon them and hasnt been cleansed yet.  In this case, I believe the Sacrements arent absouletly necessery for salvation.
Basically, If you live a good life, attemped to emulate Jesus in your daily lives, preform good deeds, follow the 10 Commandments and worship God and ask forgiveness for your sins then you will probably be saved. The Sacrements are definitly helpful in acheiving Salvation but for those unable to recieve them then they still may be saved.

Thank you and God Bless.

(Cardinal Miller sits down slowly)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2007, 03:50:36 PM »

I would like to ask all my brother Cardinals to describe what they see as the sacramental nature of the Church?  What is the importance of the sacraments in relation to the other functions of the Church?

(Cardinal Hume rises energeticallly)

I do not believe there is a man in this room who doubts the importance of the seven sacraments. I feel the same way; however, while the sacraments are extremely important to our church and its followers, I believe our church's duty of ministry must take precedence.

It is our role to bring new souls to the church and to instill in them faith in Christ, I believe only a simple childlike faith is necessary (though complex understandings are a blessing from God), and to encourage good works. We must continue to spread the Good News, and the sacrements, to those who have not had the opportunity to hear or receive them. Equally as important is for our Church to minister to its lost sheep, to those who have received the Good News and the sacrements, but have strayed away particularly those of our church in the developed world who have been lured away by material goods or their belief that the church no longer is revelant in modern society.  Declining numbers at mass, where they may receive the eucharist and increasing divorce numbers, indicate that our ministry must take a higher level of significance to our sacraments, for the time being.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »

*Cardinal Ribeiro rises slowly*

Brethren,
Cardinal Frick raises an important question. To answer it, I must first expound my view of the sacraments in general; then, I will address some individual concerns regarding some of them in specific.
I believe that the issue of Sacraments has been the cause of many needless division within the Church of Jesus Christ, in part because many of us have read past each other. I believe the issue is chiefly not one of soteriology, but one of ecclesiology. The sacraments should not be regarded as acts of humans towards God, but as God's acts towards us. From the days of Saint Augustine, the Sacraments have been regarded as “visible words.” Or perhaps better, they are “enacted Word", since they are not just visible, but ritual acts. . The sacrament of baptism, for example, does not consist in water, but in the action of placing water upon the body, in association with an act of speech (“I baptize you in[to] the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Hoy Spirit”). Sacraments are therefore not only seen; they are experienced as activity.
Sacraments have also been identified as "signs and seals". This is drawn from Saint Paul in Romans 4:11 "and he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had while uncircumcised, so that he might be the father of all who believe without being circumcised, that righteousness might be credited to them". This is not to mean, however, that sacraments are wholly symbolic. In Scripture, signs are frequently associated with “wonders” and “miracles.” A “sign” is not usually a mere pointer, symbolizing something radically other from the sign; the sign is itself an “instance” or embodiment of the truth and power of God. Thus when Jesus performed “signs of the kingdom,” these acts were more than symbolic pictures pointing to something else; they were themselves embodiments of the kingdom which had come in Himself. Jesus’ healings, for example, were not only “symbols” of the kingdom; they were gifts of that kingdom. So are sacraments--while they do not offer salvation in and out of themselves, disregarding the need for inner regeneration of the sinner, as if they were magical, they are also not merely "food for thought". They are God's way of including us in the promises of His kingdom. Nowhere is this clearer than in the case of infant baptism - a rite which the infant cannot intellectually appreciate, and will not literally remember. The sacraments are God’s actions toward us, by which He incorporates us and renews us in the covenantal salvation He promises His people. So, while Sacraments do not grant salvation in and out of themselves, they signal and anticipate  membership into the Visible form of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ on Earth.

Now I will address a few individual issues. With regards to the Supper, I believe the doctrine of transubstantiation is at least in need of review. Serious idolatrous abuses have resulted of practices associated with the excessive dogmatism with which the Church held this doctrine. I have striven to correct them within my Diocese, but it is hard to do so. I would encourage the Church to not try to probe too deeply into mysteries which God chose not to reveal, but to recognize that when God shuts His Holy Mouth, the student of scripture should not dare to tread further.

Finally, I dare to say that we need a serious review of Baptismal theology. This is one issue I believe both Protestant and Catholic teachings seriously miss the Biblical mark. Protestants miss the mark by thinking Baptism effects no change at all in the baptized individual, thinking the Sacrament to be nothing more than a ceremonial rite of passage. However, while Catholic theology has rightly recognized that Baptism effects a true change upon the individual, it has been wrong by placing that change in the inner man, as if the mere act of shedding water on a person was enough to effect regeneration on a fallen sinner. This, in my opinion, contradicts the order of Jesus' comment to "repent and be baptized", indicating that for adults, repentance and thus regeneration by necessity precedes Baptism. My conclusion is that Baptism does effect a change in the individual, but that change is outward and not inward--Baptism is the initial proclamation of a person's membership in the Kingdom of Jesus Christ on Earth--like circumcision was the entering rite for God's people of the past! It proclaims for the world to hear that the Baptized person his part of the Body of Christ--with all the blessings and curses inherent to such membership.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2007, 06:25:31 PM »

*Cardinal Cheng rises*

Brothers, we seem to be missing the point here.  We have heard plenty from Cardinals who believe that good works or innocent faith is the only way to know Jesus.  But is that really true?  Let's examine the Sacraments, as Cardinal Frick *he nods to the Cardinal* has proposed.

Now, if we look at the Eucharist alone, we can see a powerful current.  We all know Jesus gave the bread and wine to his disciples: "cenantibus autem eis accepit Iesus panem et benedixit ac fregit deditque discipulis suis et ait accipite et comedite hoc est corpus meum et accipiens calicem gratias egit et dedit illis dicens bibite ex hoc omnes hic est enim sanguis meus novi testamenti qui pro multis effunditur in remissionem peccatorum" (Matthaeus 26:26-28) {"While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, 'Take and eat; this is my body.'  Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, 'Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the[a] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins."  Cheng prefers Latin, of course, but if you go up to him and ask what exactly he was saying he'll be happy to tell you Smiley}  But that's not all; this is what Jesus himself has to say of the communion, in the book of Ioannes, 6:53-56:

"litigabant ergo Iudaei ad invicem dicentes quomodo potest hic nobis carnem suam dare ad manducandum dixit ergo eis Iesus amen amen dico vobis nisi manducaveritis carnem Filii hominis et biberitis eius sanguinem non habetis vitam in vobis qui manducat meam carnem et bibit meum sanguinem habet vitam aeternam et ego resuscitabo eum in novissimo die caro enim mea vere est cibus et sanguis meus vere est potus"

{"Jesus said to them, 'I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him.'}

Jesus is saying, quite definitively, that whoever takes the Blessed Sacrament will receive eternal life.  He does not say that whoever goes out and distributes the flesh and blood will be given eternal life, nor that he who gets into a childlike food fight will be given eternal life (*he smiles briefly*), but that he who accepts the Sacred Host and Precious Blood will be anointed as one of God's own, so that someday, perhaps, God will favor them with life eternal.  We see this pattern again and again in discussion of the other sacraments.  But the important process is not in doing the Sacraments themselves.  It is in discovering why we do the Sacraments, how we do the Sacrements.  Think of it this way, brothers.  Without study, without thought, without reflection, we might as well have tossed a splash of holy water at a congregant or sprayed a garden hose at an infant and called it Baptism! *he titters*

The Sacraments alone are not enough to assure a person of salvation.  But I disagree with my brothers who believe that it is merely a nice gesture.  Hundreds of years of study have assured us they are most conducive to salvation.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2007, 07:32:01 PM »

Thank you, all of you.  We will now begin the Second Ballot.  I ask each one of you to pray in his own way, and cast your vote for he who you feel most worthy to lead God's Church.

Cardinals, vote.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2007, 07:40:38 PM »

Rastin Cardinal Singh
J. J.
Atlas Superstar