If Democrats openly became pro-Palestine, how would that affect elections in the future?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:47:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  If Democrats openly became pro-Palestine, how would that affect elections in the future?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If Democrats openly became pro-Palestine, how would that affect elections in the future?  (Read 2120 times)
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2023, 08:02:40 PM »

If Democrats becamea fully pro-Palestine party how would that affect elections in the future?
TodayJunior
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 04:07:44 PM »

In the short term, an utter disaster in a general election. You lose all MAGA, never trump republicans, most Indy’s and moderates. Florida would be a 2022 redux for sure. New York might be single digits.

Over time, I’d expect this issue to stabilize. 

Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 05:36:26 PM »

Very few voters would be upset, but they would take an enormous fundraising hit.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 10:26:23 PM »

If Democrats becamea fully pro-Palestine party how would that affect elections in the future?

It's really not pretty for the Dems in this scenario. They lose all their Jewish voters, flipping NJ/NY/CT. Now this is a very small % of the electorate but I believe the whole equity agenda of the far left will also flip Asians to the GOP. Being pro-Palestine isn't going to just lose Jewish voters, a lot of moderate to liberal Dems will have major misgivings supporting an organization that wants to murder civilians and blow up everything.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 01:12:24 AM »

Like completely anti-zionism? New York would be voting like D+10, and Rs could get it into single digits. Other than that, the map won't change much.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 08:33:44 AM by pppolitics »

What does "pro-Palestine" mean?

Many Democrats want to stop subsidizing Israel with 3 billion dollars a year. Israel is a developed country and it doesn't make sense to continue to subside a developed country.

Or maybe they support the two-state solution, which is hardly controversial in US politics.

On the other hand, I haven't heard any Democrat talk about subsidizing the State of Palestine.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 10:44:18 AM »

It's really not pretty for the Dems in this scenario. They lose all their Jewish voters, flipping NJ/NY/CT. Now this is a very small % of the electorate but I believe the whole equity agenda of the far left will also flip Asians to the GOP. Being pro-Palestine isn't going to just lose Jewish voters, a lot of moderate to liberal Dems will have major misgivings supporting an organization that wants to murder civilians and blow up everything.

Somewhat agree with the map, disagree on Asians flipping over this issue alone or in tandem with Jewish voters, given what people on here think. Non-Muslim AAPI voters who are Islamophobic enough to let this influence their vote are already relatively swingy, and there is more soft disapproval of Israel among non-Christian small-b boomers than you’d expect.

Anecdotally, the few opinions/reposts/media I see in my personal social media on the recent conflict are all pro-Palestine. This is probably more due to being mostly under 35 and universally college educated than being Muslim, Asian, and/or part of post-1965 immigrant waves- even though all of the non-Jewish/non-white people I’ve seen share pro-Palestine content fall into at least one of those categories. There is also one older person with a BS in Environmental Studies who is married to a Moroccan immigrant and has 2 children with them.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 02:29:36 PM »

Somewhat agree with the map, disagree on Asians flipping over this issue alone or in tandem with Jewish voters, given what people on here think. Non-Muslim AAPI voters who are Islamophobic enough to let this influence their vote are already relatively swingy, and there is more soft disapproval of Israel among non-Christian small-b boomers than you’d expect.

Anecdotally, the few opinions/reposts/media I see in my personal social media on the recent conflict are all pro-Palestine. This is probably more due to being mostly under 35 and universally college educated than being Muslim, Asian, and/or part of post-1965 immigrant waves- even though all of the non-Jewish/non-white people I’ve seen share pro-Palestine content fall into at least one of those categories. There is also one older person with a BS in Environmental Studies who is married to a Moroccan immigrant and has 2 children with them.

The problem for the left with Israel is that it also gives more attention to its quirky extracurricular stuff that no one cares about
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 03:22:40 PM »

I can't see the mainstream of the Democratic Party wouldn't outright turn against Israel barring a much greater escalation of even what's being done now--say, a full reoccupation of the West Bank and unilateral abolition of the PA, full annexation of the West Bank and implementation of second-class citizenship for Palestinians, plus the Haley/Ryan solution of fully depopulating Gaza. Basically--what does Israel have to do to turn itself into a South Africa-style pariah?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 03:40:35 PM »

Part of me suspects that nobody cares about foreign policy, but the example of Sanders falling apart after expressing less-than-total hostility towards the Cuban regime -- even if he was sort of primed to fall apart anyway -- makes me wonder if some of the apocalyptic stuff in this thread might actually happen.
DS0816
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 02:23:19 PM »

It will not happen.

(Neither of the two major U.S. political parties.)
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 04:17:34 PM »

It will not happen.

(Neither of the two major U.S. political parties.)
Given trends in both the Jewish and Muslim communities I guess it probably occurs in around 10 years.

The reputation of the GOP being pro-Israel and anti-muslim is slowly creating an opposite partisan reaction and demographic sorting.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 11:51:12 PM »

I can't see the mainstream of the Democratic Party wouldn't outright turn against Israel barring a much greater escalation of even what's being done now--say, a full reoccupation of the West Bank and unilateral abolition of the PA, full annexation of the West Bank and implementation of second-class citizenship for Palestinians, plus the Haley/Ryan solution of fully depopulating Gaza. Basically--what does Israel have to do to turn itself into a South Africa-style pariah?

The Israel lobby in the US would have to lose most of its current influence - the Israel and Saudi lobbies are the main reason why the US has mostly allowed these two countries to get away with various bad things they've done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2023, 11:53:20 PM »

Bloomberg would run as an independent and get 0.5% of the vote.
Ragnaroni
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.97, S: 1.74

P
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2023, 07:04:31 AM »

They'd probably lose their Jewish voters (the non-secular and not anti-Zionist ones) by some margin OR they don't lose that many votes because voters may not be single issue voters...
Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2023, 10:47:16 AM »

Very few voters would be upset, but they would take an enormous fundraising hit.
Which is the main reason they won’t do that, because Donors Are Sacred™️
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2023, 11:02:12 PM »

They'd probably lose their Jewish voters (the non-secular and not anti-Zionist ones) by some margin OR they don't lose that many votes because voters may not be single issue voters...

They would lose much more than Jewish voters. A lot of non-leftist Democratic voters of all backgrounds think murdering civilians is a bad thing and don't view Israelis as colonial oppressors like the faculty at Swarthmore does. The polling is brutal for the pro-Hamas side, the Q poll had 76-17% in favor of supporting Israel. It isn't simply about Jewish donors, it's all the other junk that turns off people.

The squad's endorsement of Soviet style tax rates would also give a large chunk of college-educated voters (especially Romney-Biden ones) no reason to stick with the Dems. GOP might have an opening here post-Trump depending on the direction Dems go.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2023, 07:50:18 PM »

It wouldn't

Israel-Palestine isn't even in the top 100 most important issues for the average American except for Jewish-Americans and Muslims Americans

Bernie Sanders was Pro-Palestine. No one expected him to lose the geneal election because of that reason (him being Jewish probably helped though)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 11:07:27 PM »

It wouldn't

Israel-Palestine isn't even in the top 100 most important issues for the average American except for Jewish-Americans and Muslims Americans

Bernie Sanders was Pro-Palestine. No one expected him to lose the geneal election because of that reason (him being Jewish probably helped though)

The Dems would lose any semblance of being a mainstream party by supporting Hamas. It's one thing to support a 2 state solution with Israel out of the West Bank and Gaza but a lot of the protestors and related incidents unfortunately suggest a desire to wipe out all Jews. To be blunt, the amount of hate coming from these people is even worse than what you see with a lot of MAGA extremists. Polls show most Dems support Israel or are neutral, the Palestinian cause is just not popular.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 07:32:58 AM »

It wouldn't

The Dems would lose any semblance of being a mainstream party by supporting Hamas. It's one thing to support a 2 state solution with Israel out of the West Bank and Gaza but a lot of the protestors and related incidents unfortunately suggest a desire to wipe out all Jews. To be blunt, the amount of hate coming from these people is even worse than what you see with a lot of MAGA extremists. Polls show most Dems support Israel or are neutral, the Palestinian cause is just not popular.
Wtf says being Pro-Palestine means being pro-hamas?

Right now, the US is pro Israel and pro-two state solution. The former being much more important. So with the peace process dead, the US is still pro Israel.

Being pro-Palestine means cutting US aide to Israel unless they agree to a two state solution and withdraw from settlements. You still include Hamas as a terrorist organization. Like Bernie Sanders position.
BigZuck08
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.22

P
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »

Jewish voters will stay safe R for a while, resulting in Republicans always getting over 90% of the vote in precincts that are vast majority Jew.

It also might turn off moderates, resulting in making it easier for Republicans to win state and national elections.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 11:49:10 AM »
« Edited: October 31, 2023, 06:25:46 PM by Devils30 »

Jewish voters will stay safe R for a while, resulting in Republicans always getting over 90% of the vote in precincts that are vast majority Jew.

It also might turn off moderates, resulting in making it easier for Republicans to win state and national elections.

The turn off moderates is what has the big downstream effects. The left of course thinks if we just increase turnout we’ll find 25 million oppressed minorities who will only show up to the polls for a Marxist agenda.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2023, 03:34:48 PM »

Vosem is broadly correct on Indian immigrants who immigrated to the US as adults. I don't perceive techbro types as being particularly "culturally right", but that might be a function of my US-raised tech friends generally not being very vocal about politics/current events and more broadly giving off "Obama-Sanders D coalition" vibes in terms of being nonwhite secular social liberals from post-1965 immigrant wave backgrounds. Meanwhile, the guys around my age who actually give off "cultural/political right" vibes mostly don't have bachelor's degrees, and mostly don't work in software or engineering roles.

My own impression is that among normies I've heard very little impression (in general, it feels like interest among normies peaked in like 2014 and is since down), but my online techbro circles have gone from "don't care, know nothing" to "rabidly pro-Israel". (Seeing this happen to people I met at a festival over the summer has been sort of funny).
I've kept tabs on these circles, and yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I think for many it's a proxy for broader hostility to cultural progressivism, which is the same reason they suddenly started caring a lot about transgender issues, and unlike other parts of the far-right they weren't radicalized early enough to be hostile to Israel from a right-wing perspective. A secondary factor is probably just that a lot of them are or work with Indians.

Otherwise, attitudes towards Israel on the far-right definitely do split between "nefarious ZOG trying to control America" and "outpost of Western enlightment against the barbarian hordes", with your circles being the latter (saw several posts applying race and IQ claims to Gaza to claim that the median Gazan is mentally challenged!)

Indians in the US are not that pro-Israel at all!
pikachu
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2023, 10:19:07 PM »

Vosem is broadly correct on Indian immigrants who immigrated to the US as adults. I don't perceive techbro types as being particularly "culturally right", but that might be a function of my US-raised tech friends generally not being very vocal about politics/current events and more broadly giving off "Obama-Sanders D coalition" vibes in terms of being nonwhite secular social liberals from post-1965 immigrant wave backgrounds. Meanwhile, the guys around my age who actually give off "cultural/political right" vibes mostly don't have bachelor's degrees, and mostly don't work in software or engineering roles.

My own impression is that among normies I've heard very little impression (in general, it feels like interest among normies peaked in like 2014 and is since down), but my online techbro circles have gone from "don't care, know nothing" to "rabidly pro-Israel". (Seeing this happen to people I met at a festival over the summer has been sort of funny).
I've kept tabs on these circles, and yeah, I've noticed the same thing. I think for many it's a proxy for broader hostility to cultural progressivism, which is the same reason they suddenly started caring a lot about transgender issues, and unlike other parts of the far-right they weren't radicalized early enough to be hostile to Israel from a right-wing perspective. A secondary factor is probably just that a lot of them are or work with Indians.

Otherwise, attitudes towards Israel on the far-right definitely do split between "nefarious ZOG trying to control America" and "outpost of Western enlightment against the barbarian hordes", with your circles being the latter (saw several posts applying race and IQ claims to Gaza to claim that the median Gazan is mentally challenged!)

Indians in the US are not that pro-Israel at all!

With the caveat of there being a lot of selection bias in my circles, by far the most pro-Palestine people I’ve seen on my social feeds have been Indian women who mostly work in tech and moved to the West for college. The men I know don’t post, but none of them give off “cultural/political right” vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if new immigrants who come here in their 20s and 30s are more pro-Israel though.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2023, 10:59:33 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2023, 11:04:00 PM by Kamala's side hoe »

With the caveat of there being a lot of selection bias in my circles, by far the most pro-Palestine people I’ve seen on my social feeds have been Indian women who mostly work in tech and moved to the West for college. The men I know don’t post, but none of them give off “cultural/political right” vibes. Wouldn’t be surprised if new immigrants who come here in their 20s and 30s are more pro-Israel though.

I should clarify that the "men" I was talking about aren't necessarily of Indian heritage or South Asian ancestry, but rather young people in my general socials and among my RL acquaintances, in case that wasn't clear. I got the impression that Snowstalker was talking about tech people at large when he described how "anti-woke" or whatever they were. My closest friends who I might actually discuss politics and current events with aren't as active on social media where their name is tied to their face.

At any rate, I'm skeptical that Dems becoming more overtly pro-Palestine would hurt them that much electorally, but that's mostly because I don't perceive this issue as being particularly important to people I know IRL who seem right-leaning, outside of general "anti-wokeness" and possibly wanting to go against the "mainstream, conformist" stance of paying lip service to "the Palestinian cause".
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies