Who is God?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:34:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Who is God?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Who is God?  (Read 2521 times)
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2023, 10:54:09 AM »

?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 10:54:50 AM »

God is a woman.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 02:52:51 PM »

I personally think God is really Nature itself.  It is so powerful and mighty, but it also is a great blessing.  Our gift of life and all other gifts seem to stem from a miraculous creation- the Earth.  I can see why Native Americans have always revered it.

Whether you believe in God/Nature or not, it is all around you and at any time you can make some kind of spiritual connection to it.

Life is also a precious gift, and this is from someone who thought suicide was the answer many times.  It's actually a miracle.

We've been given many miracles, so no matter how you pray or what religion/denomination you are in, there's much to be grateful for.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
Shaula
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 06:08:37 PM »

Nothing because it doesn't exist.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2023, 08:41:46 PM »

God to Christians and Jews is Yahweh and to Muslims it is Allah.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2023, 09:54:03 AM »

I think given the OP and the subforum, the question is pretty clearly asking what "God" is if one exists ... but thanks for your input in the form of a definitive statement about something you quite literally cannot know for sure, haha.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 09:57:44 AM »

I personally think God is really Nature itself...

I think labels like "Pantheism" or whatever have really messed up how people think about this (admittedly broad) idea, because classical Christian ideas of God are of an immaterial consciousness that is eternal and outside of space/time.  Saying "God is nature" would probably piss off more (especially conservative) Christians than it should, because God would certainly be closer to being "nature" (at least in some sense) than He would be to being something like Zeus.

If anything, God could even somewhat be accurately described as math itself ... in that math would be the "mind of God," and God is classically understood to ONLY be a mind.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 11:07:46 AM »

I personally think God is really Nature itself...

I think labels like "Pantheism" or whatever have really messed up how people think about this (admittedly broad) idea, because classical Christian ideas of God are of an immaterial consciousness that is eternal and outside of space/time.  Saying "God is nature" would probably piss off more (especially conservative) Christians than it should, because God would certainly be closer to being "nature" (at least in some sense) than He would be to being something like Zeus.

If anything, God could even somewhat be accurately described as math itself ... in that math would be the "mind of God," and God is classically understood to ONLY be a mind.

The key thing to understand about God in the historical Christian tradition is that He is transcendent, and our minds cannot properly comprehend Him. I would say that it is accurate to call nature or math reflections of God in the sense that they conform themselves to His Nature, but that does not make Him them any more than the reflection of the Moon on a lake is the Moon. In some colloquial sense the term suffices, but nobody shoots a pistol at that reflection and says they put a bullet in the Moon. The tricky part is that pantheists classically do just see God as an emergent property of nature with no proper existence separate from it, and that is where we must part ways with them.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 10:13:05 AM »

olawakandi
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2023, 11:28:06 AM »

king zog
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2023, 02:26:59 PM »

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2023, 04:36:37 PM »

God is Judgement on OdintimerThor, it says God is cause and effect. We don't know if God is a person but they can be aliens in outer space .  Loki is Satan and Thor is son of GOD.

BUT, in Buddhism it says God is Judgement and Cause and effect and a force of nature, the Pyramids were built thinking that somehow the rapture will come and Pharoahs were actually Sun Gods, but the rapture hasn't come yet and Egypt changed to Muslims
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2023, 11:45:34 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2023, 05:15:44 PM by Mr. Smith »

Pretty much the Abrahamic Zeus except with a larger-scope agenda, or at least that's the Mormon way of putting it, albeit in terms too vulgar for them.

Jingizu
Rookie
Antarctica

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »

Combining two ideas: olawakandi, who is secretly female
Georg Ebner
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2023, 05:55:02 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2023, 05:58:21 PM by Georg Ebner »

GOMEZ DAVILA: "Speaking about GOD is arrogant." but "Speaking of anything else than GOD is stupid." (PLATO)
Thus i will have a try.

We cannot recognize, how HE is per SE; just, how HE confronts and faces us.
Firstly as our telos, so what we must be, but cannot be: endless, immortal, infallible aso.
Secondly we are not even left alone in a dark destiny as arrows, that must necessarily fail to meet ever their target. To our misery we are even plagued with and persecuted by ob-jects: bodies, which are the epiPhany of our opPonent; which we hate and to which we must nonetheless fall into love. The sensibility&intelligence of the pagans, their kalokagathia, the second source for us Catholics, the Bible provided by nature&culture: "A nude body solves all problems." "'Why loving?' is the only impossible question.": GOMEZ DAVILA
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2023, 06:24:55 PM »

A fairytale
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2023, 12:52:56 PM »

I wish I could disagree with you, because part of me wants there to be something more than just this. But I can't honestly convince myself that that is the case.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2023, 08:58:31 PM »

I wish I could disagree with you, because part of me wants there to be something more than just this. But I can't honestly convince myself that that is the case.

I find the idea that nothing collided with nothing to create something, and the Universe created itself, to be just as difficult to believe than a hypothetical entity that exists outside of the natural Universe and acted as its first cause.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2023, 05:34:21 PM »

Just a stranger on a bus
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2023, 11:04:14 PM »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2023, 12:22:30 AM »

I find the idea that nothing collided with nothing to create something, and the Universe created itself, to be just as difficult to believe than a hypothetical entity that exists outside of the natural Universe and acted as its first cause.
Maybe a better question than what is "god" is what is "nothing" or somewhat strangely is nothing really something?
Can nothing be any more understood than the infinite?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2023, 05:00:34 PM »

Since you asked:

Quote from: John 1:1-5
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
OuterCoat100
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2023, 09:49:20 AM »

The higher being religious people believe in.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2023, 12:20:14 AM »

A loving consciousness that permeates all space, time, matter, and energy... that remembers everything, and brings souls into its "dimension" after death. Part of the universe, permeating it all, but not yet detectable by science. But as universally present as gravitation or light.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2023, 09:53:07 AM »

An infinite entity that transcends humanity's finite understanding.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies