Opinion of Snake Handling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:49:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Snake Handling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is everyone's opinion of snake handling here?
Positive

Neutral

Dangerous

Heresy

Animal cruelty

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Opinion of Snake Handling  (Read 1013 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2023, 05:29:35 AM »

What is everyone's opinion on any Protestant church in Appalachia that handles literal snakes??? I would widely consider their actions animal cruelty for obvious reasons.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 08:14:07 AM »
« Edited: October 11, 2023, 10:27:42 AM by Aurelius2 »

Big-time respect for those guys. Your poll options are a joke, please put more effort into your threads. I am disappointed that the poll does not allow me to express my admiration without also implying that the Christian Bible is accurate or correct.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »

Big-time respect for those guys. Your poll options are a joke, please put more effort into your threads. I am disappointed that the poll does not allow me to express my admiration without also implying that the Christian Bible is accurate or correct.

There are a lot of intelligent and well-read atheists/agnostics/other "Nones" on this site that will treat opposing views with the respect and dignity these types of conversations deserve ... but I do not think we should expect that of the OP, from what I have seen.  His topics are usually one sentence strawman posts that seem to hope for a few responses that validate what he already thinks.  BORING.

As for the OP, I will at least address one thing ... the use of "Protestant" here is really strange.  I mean, yes, a Pentecostal church is a Protestant church by definition, but Pentecostals represent approximately 9.0% of American Protestants (per Pew), and from everything I have read a small minority of those churches still practice snake handling ... so even if an absurdly-high-and-inaccurate 50% of them do, you are still talking about less than 5.0% of American Protestants.

Again, it's not *technically inaccurate* to call them Protestant churches in this context, but it would be similar to calling an Italian a "European" in the context that you are referencing something as specific as Italian wines.  It comes across as trying to deceitfully push that this is a widespread practice among Protestant traditions or in any way whatsoever indicative of what your average Protestant worship service is like ... even in West Virginia itself, the population is 70% Protestant and only 7% Pentecostal...
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 11:07:24 AM »

Cool shows
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 12:17:20 PM »

I've been to a church that did this once although the lady speaking was holding a non-dangerous snake. It was kind of cool how she just let it slide through her hands and around her shoulders while she preached and prayed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 07:10:52 PM »

I've edited the first poll option.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 10:21:59 PM »

"Crack is wack."

- Whitney Houston
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2023, 09:42:24 PM »

This made me LOL, haha.  Cheers.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2023, 08:40:17 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if snake handling was something Christians did in apostolic times.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2023, 02:01:59 PM »

I admire their sincere, deeply held faith in God's protection, that's for certain. I don't think I'd participate. Voted "Positive" and "dangerous."
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2023, 05:08:26 PM »

I don't understand the point they're making, but at least they look cool doing it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2023, 07:51:44 PM »

It's stupid. Not that I'd expect rational, intelligent behavior from religious whackos, but it's still extraordinarily stupid. But hey, they have a death wish, go ahead.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2023, 01:54:28 AM »

1. It is cruelty to animals, and as such it is wrong and stupid. Do something stupid to a dog or cat and you will be bitten or scratched. The snake is defending itself from what it sees as a predator intent on eating it. A snake will defend itself as best as it can.

2. Expecting God to save you from your own stupidity is in essence demanding a miracle, at the least an act of pointless arrogance.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2023, 11:56:51 AM »

1. It is cruelty to animals, and as such it is wrong and stupid. Do something stupid to a dog or cat and you will be bitten or scratched. The snake is defending itself from what it sees as a predator intent on eating it. A snake will defend itself as best as it can.

2. Expecting God to save you from your own stupidity is in essence demanding a miracle, at the least an act of pointless arrogance.

Very much agree with #2.  Revivalism in general starts in a good place (emphasizing the "heart" part of religion in addition to the "head" part of theology), but it ALWAYS devolves into anti-intellectual nonsense that attempts to simplify how God works so that it's accessible the average dumb person off the street and pretty much always strays into some type of heresy, too.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2023, 06:48:52 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if snake handling was something Christians did in apostolic times.

There is no evidence of that in Scripture.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2023, 02:38:33 PM »

It's silly and weird. Snakes are a symbol of Satan, they don't belong in a church.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies