There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 12:34:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: There is something f’n rotten in major student orgs on campuses  (Read 8104 times)
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2023, 10:59:20 AM »

Hot Take :

American academia is more sympathetic to Palestine because they are stuck in a Cold War mentality, where Israel is seen as a puppet regime of the United States, and imperialism is bad.

No, it's entirely about skin color. It's not even that Palestine is anti-US because if that were the case then we'd see much more academic support for Russia than we do.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2023, 12:33:08 PM »

Hot Take :

American academia is more sympathetic to Palestine because they are stuck in a Cold War mentality, where Israel is seen as a puppet regime of the United States, and imperialism is bad.

No, it's entirely about skin color. It's not even that Palestine is anti-US because if that were the case then we'd see much more academic support for Russia than we do.

It's actually sillier: it's about imagined skin color. Palestinians and Israelis don't actually typically look very different.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »

Lots of projection in this thread. Some in Academia sympathize with the Palestinians because it's clear they got screwed over by the post WWII alliance and that Israel is an apartheid state that is slowly but surely grabbing more land and displacing more Palestinians. It's not really more complicated than that.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2023, 12:41:29 PM »

Lots of projection in this thread. Some in Academia sympathize with the Palestinians because it's clear they got screwed over by the post WWII alliance and that Israel is an apartheid state that is slowly but surely grabbing more land and displacing more Palestinians. It's not really more complicated than that.
When American Jews are being harassed and threatened...yeah no F that excuse. I'm sick of the far-left acting like this isn't a problem.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2023, 12:46:34 PM »

Yeah I’m sure the people at screaming outside Kosher delis and Jewish fraternities in New York are deeply concerned about Palestinians.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »

Hot Take :

This is backwards, I think. The focus on 'skin color' - real or contorted - and 'whiteness', reframing modern issues as between "colonizers"/"the colonized" was built out of a desire a few decades ago to have the Palestinian cause reframed as the ultimate litmus test of good versus evil. This tendency is not the "end result" of this type of discourse: it is the origin.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 12:59:38 PM by GP270watch »

When American Jews are being harassed and threatened...yeah no  that excuse. I'm sick of the far-left acting like this isn't a problem.

It is obviously a serious problem but I was not speaking to that. The idea that academia only supports Palestenians because of "skin color" or "opressor/opressed" dynamics is nonsense and honestly just sounds like projection.

It's perfectly understandable to know why the state of Israel exists especially after WWII and the holocaust. It's even understandable why Israeli leaders have been so militant about security and firmly establishing their homeland. But none of this changes the fact that the holocaust was caused by white Europeans, that all of the world major powers were really no help to the Jewish people, and then thought the best solution was to screw over another group of people to absolve themselves of the damage they caused.

It's a very difficult conflict but what happened is not difficult to understand. And to not understand how academia is against militarism, settler colonialism, war crimes, and a nationwide racist legal structure means you are projecting.

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »

Definitely looks a bit more like something else

I hope he comes out and body-slams them one by one.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #133 on: October 27, 2023, 03:06:14 PM »

When American Jews are being harassed and threatened...yeah no  that excuse. I'm sick of the far-left acting like this isn't a problem.

It is obviously a serious problem but I was not speaking to that. The idea that academia only supports Palestenians because of "skin color" or "opressor/opressed" dynamics is nonsense and honestly just sounds like projection.

It's perfectly understandable to know why the state of Israel exists especially after WWII and the holocaust. It's even understandable why Israeli leaders have been so militant about security and firmly establishing their homeland. But none of this changes the fact that the holocaust was caused by white Europeans, that all of the world major powers were really no help to the Jewish people, and then thought the best solution was to screw over another group of people to absolve themselves of the damage they caused.

It's a very difficult conflict but what happened is not difficult to understand. And to not understand how academia is against militarism, settler colonialism, war crimes, and a nationwide racist legal structure means you are projecting.
even if this is all true, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT OK TO THREATEN AMERICAN JEWS!  Sorry for yelling.  You may now return to handwaving that away.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #134 on: October 27, 2023, 03:11:26 PM »

Whether or not Israel should have been created in the first place is not the question, like it or not, that choice was made long ago and people have identified as Israeli and lived as Israeli in that land for generations now. Academia is correct is analyzing the problematic origins of the state, but it fails to understand that at a certain point, the origin is not what matters.
Israel is a legitimate country today and any attempts to say otherwise is wiping millions of people off the map. Until the “Free Palestine” types acknowledge this, they are not to be engaged with on the issue in serious faith.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2023, 03:50:38 PM »

even if this is all true, IT DOESN'T MAKE IT OK TO THREATEN AMERICAN JEWS!  Sorry for yelling.  You may now return to handwaving that away.

Of course it isn't, I have found the last few weeks incredibly depressing and concerning to see the rise of anti-Semitism everywhere, from the right and the left and have stated so.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2023, 04:03:30 PM »

Far left politics and the cancerous ideologies it has exported to the developering world, like Marxism and decolonialism, is actually not that complicated. It’s not based on universal principles like liberalism but simply: White man bad, Western civilization bad, America bad. In the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, Arabs are seen as “brown” and Jews are seen as “white” so since Jews = white and white = bad, the Jews are the bad guys. It’s really that simple.

This is why Egypt and other Arab states hurting Palestinians doesn’t bother anyone, and why numerous conflicts around the world don’t get any attention- there’s no angle to blame America and/or white people. The only white country the far left seems to like is Russia (because it is America’s enemy). LOL.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2023, 05:24:03 PM »

Trying to be charitable but I'm confused by this post. You say it's nonsense to frame this as oppressor/oppressed and related to skin-color but go on to (1) describe the foundation of Israel as an act oppressing another group of people and (2) go out of your way to remind us that the Jews themselves were persecuted by whites. Even if these two points are correct (and I think they are), it seems to me like your chosen framing is exactly what you're decrying as nonsense and projection. What am I missing?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2023, 05:24:51 PM »
« Edited: October 27, 2023, 05:38:45 PM by ingemann »

Hot Take :

Not really, this is a natural development of the beliefs American social progressive holds:

1: White people are privileged.
2: Settler states are illegal states.
3: Marginalized groups are always right.

When those belief meet the fact on the ground:

1: American Jews are a wealthy White group.
2: Israel is a settler state.
3: Palestinian are marginalized.

This is the logical result.

This has nothing to do with the Cold War and communism, as communism didn't embrace this primitive understanding of the world. What's surprising is not that this backlash happened but that no one saw it coming. I would also say that the very same students who is victimized by this, were 100% onboard until the Leopard Ate Their Face, if this had been about the Rohingya conflict and it was Buddhist students being target, they would at very least have turned their eyes the other way, if they hadn't taken active part in it.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2023, 05:31:51 PM »

Hot Take :

It's actually sillier: it's about imagined skin color. Palestinians and Israelis don't actually typically look very different.

They have similarities, but Ashkenazim and Sephardic Jews are visual more European looking (one of my friends are Sephardic and he and I look similar in skin tone, hair color and physical traits, while I'm darker than the average Dane, I'm not someone who would be seen as Mediterranean, at most people think I'm a Yugoslav), while I can't see the difference between Palestinians and Mizrahim.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2023, 05:36:51 PM »

Hot Take :

This is backwards, I think. The focus on 'skin color' - real or contorted - and 'whiteness', reframing modern issues as between "colonizers"/"the colonized" was built out of a desire a few decades ago to have the Palestinian cause reframed as the ultimate litmus test of good versus evil. This tendency is not the "end result" of this type of discourse: it is the origin.

Islam darkens the skin (not literal), we tend to see Muslim as more distinct and darker than they are. Some of this is that we connect Arabic facial features with dark skin and European features with lighter skin.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2023, 05:52:46 PM »

Discussion about skin color and facial features in a thread about heightened anti-Semitism, huh

----

But seriously, it's horrible sh-t like this that makes me almost ashamed to be a college-educated American. Well, at least I went to community college and my local four-year state university (not a UC, and obviously, definitely not Stanford), not some elitist private East Coast like NYU or GWU or Cooper Union. Elite universities are the absolute worst.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #142 on: October 28, 2023, 04:41:09 AM »

No?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-says-no-direct-threat-to-jewish-students-during-cooper-union-protest/ar-AA1iUbLy

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/cooper-union-pro-palestinian-rally-jewish-students-library/

According to the protestors themselves:

We, students of Cooper Union, planned a peaceful protest to demand our institutions acknowledgement of the Israeli apartheid. This was in response to the school's one-sided stance and participation in the occupation of Palestine. We planned to peacefully protest outside the building before walking in and continuing our protest outside the president's office. We concluded our protest by calling out our demands through the hallways of the entire foundation building. When we reached the library, we were told that it was closed so we continued chanting outside the glass window of the library. Many different students of all backgrounds were in the library at the time. We would like to make it clear that our protest was not targeting any individual students or faculty, but the institution itself. We would like to reiterate that we DO NOT under any circumstance condone antisemitism and many members of the protest were Jewish."

There were three undercover cops and they said there was no threat. Protests of this nature happen and have happened for a long time on college campuses. I’m not sure where you’re getting your hyperbolic fantasies from.

Oh, you're taking the word of the protestors? That's nice. Can we ask the Jews locked in the library what they thought?

זוּהֲמָה
WalterWhite
United States
Political Matrix
E: -9.35, S: -9.83

P
« Reply #143 on: October 28, 2023, 04:59:38 AM »

Humanities majors are the absolute worst.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #144 on: October 28, 2023, 04:35:47 PM »

Need more chemistry majors right?
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #145 on: October 28, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »

Need more chemistry majors right?

Chemistry is considered to be a liberal art as well......

Most Americans if not all who attend college major in business, or nursing. Humanities majors have been declining for some time now. Engineering majors are of course always smaller since it requires a heavy level of math. And the traditional sciences are dropping as well.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: October 28, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »

Discussion about skin color and facial features in a thread about heightened anti-Semitism, huh

----

But seriously, it's horrible sh-t like this that makes me almost ashamed to be a college-educated American. Well, at least I went to community college and my local four-year state university (not a UC, and obviously, definitely not Stanford), not some elitist private East Coast like NYU or GWU or Cooper Union. Elite universities are the absolute worst.

I knew a classmate who got accepted to the new School. This elitist University in NYC, which is terribly overpriced, the level of education there is not great anyway. And do you know what her major was?

Theatre. That she can get at a CSU in California for cheap.

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #147 on: October 28, 2023, 06:15:58 PM »

How long until this stuff permanently ruptures the Democratic coalition? Jews, Asians, Indians, 1/2 of Hispanics will defect to the GOP whenever one of these lefties gets the nomination. You can see friction coming in 2028.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #148 on: October 28, 2023, 06:53:59 PM »

How long until this stuff permanently ruptures the Democratic coalition? Jews, Asians, Indians, 1/2 of Hispanics will defect to the GOP whenever one of these lefties gets the nomination. You can see friction coming in 2028.

Israel/Palestine will not rupture the Democratic coalition. Reparations very well could, though.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #149 on: October 28, 2023, 07:04:21 PM »

Israel/Palestine will not rupture the Democratic coalition. Reparations very well could, though.
neither will to any measurable extent
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies