What is the best long term solution for Israel/Palestine ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:57:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What is the best long term solution for Israel/Palestine ?
One State Solution ?

Two State Solution ?

Three Solution ?

Other ?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: What is the best long term solution for Israel/Palestine ?  (Read 2202 times)
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2023, 07:41:13 PM »

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 07:41:56 PM »

Time, specifically infrastructure and secularization.
jojoju1998
1970vu
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 07:45:58 PM »

https://www.vice.com/en/article/xgymww/israel-elections-right-wing-ben-gvir

I don't think the secularization's going to work out anytime soon......

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 07:46:13 PM »

It's not about religion. And even if it were, the ultra-Orthodox are the fastest-growing group in Israel-Palestine by an order of magnitude.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 08:08:53 PM »

Secularization is not going to happen. Everything suggests the opposite.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 08:12:55 PM »

Gaza becomes some sort of protectorate, I don't particularly care who administers it because literally anyone else will be better than Hamas.

Israel annexes the West Bank, granting full citizenship to all residents regardless of religion or ethnicity, and embarking on a program to deradicalize those Palestinians sympathetic to terrorist groups. Ideally within a decade most Palestinians can vote in elections, etc.

For the latter part, the only question is whether to just do it now to rip the bandaid off, or delay a decade or so to strengthen Israel's demographic cushion. Such a cushion is needed to ensure Israel can remain both Jewish and democratic after the annexation.

The status quo on the Temple Mount is also unacceptable, though understandable given the fraught circumstances. Any true solution needs to include an allowance for Jews to pray on the Mount - our holiest site -  on at least some fixed number of days each year.

A one and a half state solution, I guess. The West Bank is much less radicalized than Gaza and unlike Gaza I don't think annexing it would endanger Israel's Jewish and democratic character. Israel will need to pump a LOT of money into deradicalization, education, and workforce training for the West Bank Palestinians but that is worth it and far better than the current situation. But before this can happen the Palestinians (Hamas aside) will need to recognize that they've lost, they aren't getting a state, and it's time to look forward rather than backward.

I literally do not care what the path forward is for Gaza as long as whoever administers it next doesn't allow it to be a safe harbor for terrorism. And *anyone else* is better than Hamas.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2023, 08:16:08 PM »

Secularization is not going to happen. Everything suggests the opposite.

I didn't say I think it would happen; I said it was the best solution.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 08:25:30 PM »

Gaza becomes some sort of protectorate, I don't particularly care who administers it because literally anyone else will be better than Hamas.

Israel annexes the West Bank, granting full citizenship to all residents regardless of religion or ethnicity, and embarking on a program to deradicalize those Palestinians sympathetic to terrorist groups. Ideally within a decade most Palestinians can vote in elections, etc.

For the latter part, the only question is whether to just do it now to rip the bandaid off, or delay a decade or so to strengthen Israel's demographic cushion. Such a cushion is needed to ensure Israel can remain both Jewish and democratic after the annexation.

The status quo on the Temple Mount is also unacceptable, though understandable given the fraught circumstances. Any true solution needs to include an allowance for Jews to pray on the Mount - our holiest site -  on at least some fixed number of days each year.

A one and a half state solution, I guess. The West Bank is much less radicalized than Gaza and unlike Gaza I don't think annexing it would endanger Israel's Jewish and democratic character. Israel will need to pump a LOT of money into deradicalization, education, and workforce training for the West Bank Palestinians but that is worth it and far better than the current situation. But before this can happen the Palestinians (Hamas aside) will need to recognize that they've lost, they aren't getting a state, and it's time to look forward rather than backward.

I literally do not care what the path forward is for Gaza as long as whoever administers it next doesn't allow it to be a safe harbor for terrorism. And *anyone else* is better than Hamas.

There is no evidence that the Gaza population is more radicalised than the West Bank. Polling in these conditions is hard, but what evidence exists suggests that the two regions view things similarly or that the West Bank is a bit more radical.
https://pcpsr.org/en/node/938
https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20230730-new-poll-shows-decline-in-support-for-two-state-solution-amongst-palestinians-israelis/
https://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/what-do-palestinians-want
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2023, 08:34:46 PM »

Annexationists don't get to cry about the rules-based international order, by the way.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 08:40:27 PM »

The status quo on the Temple Mount is also unacceptable, though understandable given the fraught circumstances. Any true solution needs to include an allowance for Jews to pray on the Mount - our holiest site -  on at least some fixed number of days each year.

“So to strengthen Israel’s demographic cushion”

So you want to force an autonomous state into your own country while keeping them a supressed minority? This is invasion s**t and you are on the same moral level as the orcs invading Israel right now. Settlers trying to invade the West Bank can honestly get f**ked and the Palestinian government has every right to do what they want with them.

I guess you don’t care about border security when it’s people you like doing the invading.

Here is a better solution: Israel stays the f**k out of the West Bank, get the invaders out, and actually focuses on defending their borders instead of spending military resources protecting settlers???
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2023, 08:48:47 PM »

The status quo on the Temple Mount is also unacceptable, though understandable given the fraught circumstances. Any true solution needs to include an allowance for Jews to pray on the Mount - our holiest site -  on at least some fixed number of days each year.

So you want to force an autonomous state into your own country while keeping them a supressed minority? This is invasion s**t and you are on the same moral level as the orcs invading Israel right now. Settlers trying to invade the West Bank can honestly get f**ked and the Palestinian government has every right to do what they want with them.

I guess you don’t care about border security when it’s people you like doing the invading.
Yes; they openly believe themselves to be a superior race and more deserving of the land--this dates back to Herzl, who was quite honest about wanting to helm a project of colonization and subjugation. Usually this sentiment doesn't slip into English-language hasbara. This isn't at all a rare sentiment and Israel is far from the only state to openly believe this, but it's incompatible with the other branding of being the region's bastion of liberalism and enlightenment.

The irony is that Israelis are simultaneously also far freer to discuss the occupation as the root cause of violence and question whether Israel is or is becoming an apartheid state, but saying this in mainstream media or as a politician in Britain or America turns you into a pariah.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2023, 08:59:01 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 09:02:26 PM by Aurelius2 »

Here is a better solution: Israel stays the f**k out of the West Bank, get the invaders out, and actually focuses on defending their borders instead of spending military resources protecting settlers???

Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people. Palestine had so many chances and they turned every one down. And if you think the Jews uniquely have no right to a state where they are the majority after the last 2,000 years of expulsions and genocides, then I don't know what to tell you. Two major world religions are confounded by our continued existence and refusal to convert, and historically every time we think things are finally going smoothly it all goes to shlt again. After 1945 we as a people firmly resolved that never again shall we be led like lambs to the slaughter, resisting only too little and too late. We are done getting pushed around.

Integrating West Bank Palestinians is only possible if it is widely recognized that this will not endanger Israel's Jewish character, yes. These things take time too even in the best of cases. The whole point is that they would not be a "suppressed" minority - like Arab citizens of Israel today, they would enjoy the full rights of citizenship and democratic, civic and economic participation.

I'm not going to dignify Snowstalker's post with a response.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2023, 09:02:58 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2023, 09:06:28 PM by John Dule did nothing wrong »

Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people. Palestine had so many chances and they turned every one down. And if you think the Jews uniquely have no right to a state where they are the majority after the last 2,000 years of expulsions and genocides, then I don't know what to tell you. Two major world religions are confounded by our continued existence and refusal to convert, and historically every time we think things are finally going smoothly it all goes to shlt again.

Integrating West Bank Palestinians is only possible if it is widely recognized that this will not endanger Israel's Jewish character, yes. These things take time too even in the best of cases. The whole point is that they would not be a "suppressed" minority - like Arab citizens of Israel today, they would enjoy the full rights of citizenship and democratic, civic and economic participation.

Palestine is the nation state of the Palestinian people who have been living in this land for centuries upon centuries. If you think the Palestinian people uniquely should not have a nation state, I don’t know what to tell you.

Stay the f**k out of West Bank.

Defend your own borders instead of trying to simulate a game of Catan in the West Bank.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2023, 09:07:27 PM »

Occupied Palestinian Territory (OPT) has 4.5 million Palestinians living there.

Imagine if those Palestinians suddenly become citizens of Israel.

Non-Jews (Muslims or otherwise) would suddenly outnumber Jews, making Israel no longer a Jewish majority state.

What Israel wants is to annex OPT without giving citizenship to the Palestinians living there.

That would mean de jure apartheid or ethnic cleansing on a massive scale.

That is probably too distasteful for the US to accept otherwise Israel would do it.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2023, 09:09:07 PM »

Non-Jews (Muslims or otherwise) would suddenly outnumber Jews, making Israel no longer a Jewish majority state.

What Israel wants is to annex OPT without giving citizenship to the Palestinians living there.

That is probably too distasteful for the US to accept otherwise Israel would do it.
The lunatics on here want it both ways, they want a Jewish majority state AND the land of the Palestinian people, they won’t tell you their dirty little secret on how to get both though…
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2023, 09:13:44 PM »

Israel is the nation-state of the Jewish people. Palestine had so many chances and they turned every one down. And if you think the Jews uniquely have no right to a state where they are the majority after the last 2,000 years of expulsions and genocides, then I don't know what to tell you. Two major world religions are confounded by our continued existence and refusal to convert, and historically every time we think things are finally going smoothly it all goes to shlt again. After 1945 we as a people firmly resolved that never again shall we be led like lambs to the slaughter, resisting only too little and too late. We are done getting pushed around.

As a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I demand a homeland for our people!
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2023, 09:14:53 PM »

As a member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, I demand a homeland for our people!
The utter f**king nerve.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2023, 09:16:58 PM »

The lunatics on here want it both ways, they want a Jewish majority state AND the land of the Palestinian people, they won’t tell you their dirty little secret on how to get both though…
Which is why I'm advocating full Israeli citizenship for West Bank Palestinians and a protectorate for Gaza...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2023, 09:19:19 PM »

This response proves you aren’t serious
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2023, 09:21:18 PM »

Handing over the region to me.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2023, 09:22:46 PM »

Which is why I'm advocating full Israeli citizenship for West Bank Palestinians and a protectorate for Gaza...

Even giving citizenship to 2.7 million Palestinians in the West Bank would be enough to vote out the far-right Israeli government in power, which is why it won't happen.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2023, 09:23:18 PM »

Even giving citizenship to 2.7 million Palestinians in the West Bank would be enough to vote out the far-right government in power which is why it won't happen.

Israel must remain a majority Jewish nation
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2023, 09:25:00 PM »

Even giving citizenship to 2.7 million Palestinians in the West Bank would be enough to vote out the far-right government in power which is why it won't happen.

Israel must remain a majority Jewish nation

Leave occupied territory. Problem solved.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2023, 09:25:23 PM »

I used to look forward to a potential two-state solution in the future. Hamas just made it clear these past days that Gaza will not be playing a part in that. It seems thoroughly clear that a two state solution is no longer possible. If anyone has a genuine proposal for a genuinely independent state in the West Bank that would *not* be a permanent staging point for wanton attacks on Israeli civilians I would very much like to hear it!
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2023, 09:30:29 PM »

There will be no "long-term solution" until the United States stops giving Israel a free pass.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies