Can we get a list of Atlas posters that are neutral on Israel/Palestine and Russia/Ukraine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:39:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Can we get a list of Atlas posters that are neutral on Israel/Palestine and Russia/Ukraine?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Can we get a list of Atlas posters that are neutral on Israel/Palestine and Russia/Ukraine?  (Read 1468 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2023, 04:43:03 PM »

I am neutral on both.

I find it funny that a lot of people here are in Ukraine-Israel camps though, even if their contexts are complete opposites to each other.

Israel has more parallels to Russia and Palestine to Ukraine, so I end up seeing people change their moral arguments according to whatever is more convenient to their self-interests / cultural alignment.
Both Israel and Ukraine stand for civilization, humanity and righteousness in the face of murderous savagery.

This comment fits in my point about moral hypocrisy / inconsistency being accepted to fit for better cultural alignment.

Russia and Israel = Invading stronger powers taking someone else’s land

Ukraine and Palestine = Reactive forces who attack the ones invading them

I don’t mind people using their selfish goals as parameter for geopolitical actions and positions though, as long as they’re honest and direct about it and don’t pretend to be following some universal moral code or rules-based order standards.

There’s nothing I look down on more than people who use propaganda “hero or villain” talk to drive up emotional and simplistic responses to conflicts, constantly adapting what exactly defines a hero or a villain.

If Ukraine reacts to Russian land grabbing, it becomes an act of bravery because “Russia evil”. If Palestine does the same, it’s terrorism because the ones they’re up against are whiter and closet to the West.
Palestine initiated the invasion but on the other hand was being invaded by settlers for years prior and nobody did anything.

Russia invaded Ukraine and initiated it on their own without strong excuse.

Not the same.

You’re sooo close to getting it through the part I bolded. And yet, still so distant that you will never reach it.

If I’m wrong you would best be served explaining how instead of making a vague suggestion I may or may not be.

Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2023, 09:40:33 PM »

Neutrality is far more complicated than partisanship, so I would caution against forming any sort coherent list or “coalition of neutrals.”
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2023, 08:56:57 AM »

There is indeed "a plague on both their houses" type neutrality, but also "both sides can claim a major degree of right on their side, that is why this dispute is so intractable" neutrality.

Israel/Palestine falls very much into the second category IMO.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2023, 12:22:33 AM »

I am neutral on both.

I find it funny that a lot of people here are in Ukraine-Israel camps though, even if their contexts are complete opposites to each other.

Israel has more parallels to Russia and Palestine to Ukraine, so I end up seeing people change their moral arguments according to whatever is more convenient to their self-interests / cultural alignment.
Yeah you’re so neutral you said South Americans who support or volunteer to fight for Ukraine are self hating, European boot licking fascists and reaction to Russia’s war crimes was literally post “yawn”.

I don't believe he's neutral but the last sentence in his post is 100% factual.

It's true of a lot of people, yeah; I've noticed it myself.

I tend to support countries that are more internally liberal-democratic and I tend to support countries that show relatively more respect for the laws of war (such as they are) while hostilities are underway. Both of those tendencies point me towards supporting Ukraine strongly over against Russia and towards supporting Israel increasingly tepidly over against Palestine in general but strongly over against Hamas specifically. Red Velvet has said explicitly that he does not see any special moral value in a country being a liberal democracy, but I'd ask that he he take other people's word for it that we do rather than assuming it must be a smokescreen for motives that he himself happens to find easier to understand.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies