Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:35:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 ... 329
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 238253 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7550 on: May 24, 2024, 01:33:13 PM »

Whether you agree with the IJC or not, this is little more than silly virtue signaling that will ultimately end up making them look impotent when Israel tells them to go piss up a rope and they’re powerless to enforce their ruling beyond a bunch of useless whining.  

It’s cute that they think they get to dictate Israel or any other country’s wartime military strategy, but unfortunately for them, we live in a world of sovereign nations rather than some one world government bureaucratic hellscape.  They have no more say in Israeli military policy than they do in American military policy nor should they.  And I say this as someone who strongly believes that Israel should withdraw from Rafah.

And if the U.N. tries to enforce any of this by force, of course the US will veto it.  Not even a close call.

Biden said that his redline is Rafah.

Is he going to use the US's seat on the UN Security Council to veto his own redline?

Yes. He is.

And even if he took leave of his senses and escalated with Israel like Obama did on his way out the door, it still wouldn't stop Israel from doing what needs to be done. Nothing will.

He would look even weaker and more pathetic.

It's embarrassing that he allows Netanyahu to disrespect him.

He makes the entire US looks weak.

"The US has the right to dictate other countries' foreign policy, up to and including existential issues"
 but leftistly.

That's right.

Israel is the biggest recipient of US aid since World War II, so the US has the right to dictate Israel's foreign policy.

And when Israel says no? When Israel makes clear that if the US cuts off aid, it will simply use whatever it has to finish the mission against Hamas? Don't be shy, what's your master plan now that you've declared Israel to be a vassal state of the mighty US empire?

Israel has enough weapons to destroy Rafah, but then what?

Israel is going to have to restock its weapons.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7551 on: May 24, 2024, 02:27:14 PM »

Whether you agree with the IJC or not, this is little more than silly virtue signaling that will ultimately end up making them look impotent when Israel tells them to go piss up a rope and they’re powerless to enforce their ruling beyond a bunch of useless whining.  

It’s cute that they think they get to dictate Israel or any other country’s wartime military strategy, but unfortunately for them, we live in a world of sovereign nations rather than some one world government bureaucratic hellscape.  They have no more say in Israeli military policy than they do in American military policy nor should they.  And I say this as someone who strongly believes that Israel should withdraw from Rafah.

And if the U.N. tries to enforce any of this by force, of course the US will veto it.  Not even a close call.

Is he going to use the US's seat on the UN Security Council to veto his own redline?

Yes. He is.

And even if he took leave of his senses and escalated with Israel like Obama did on his way out the door, it still wouldn't stop Israel from doing what needs to be done. Nothing will.

"The US has the right to dictate other countries' foreign policy, up to and including existential issues"
 but leftistly.

That's right.

Israel is the biggest recipient of US aid since World War II, so the US has the right to dictate Israel's foreign policy.

This is one of the most bizarre takes I’ve seen in this thread and that’s saying something.  Not the worst (although it is awful, don’t get me wrong), but certainly one of the most bizarre.  “Israel is the 51st state because we send aid to our allies” is just…woof.  Beyond that, I’ll just say there is a lot to unpack here and leave it at that.

You should look outside the Atlas.

Plenty of analysts have said the same.

Being Israel's biggest arms supplier, the US have plenty of leverage over Israel, but Biden is, for whatever reasons, afraid to use it.

That’s very different than what you said earlier.  That’s some serious backpedaling you’re doing there!  

Anyway, Biden has done everything he reasonably can and then some without taking a pointlessly taking a wrecking ball to American foreign policy interests.  What you’re choosing to ignore is that Israel is a sovereign country and the US can’t simply force them to do what we say if their government is hellbent on doing something else.  

We can influence them and it’s pretty clear from how much more restrained they’ve been in Rafah that this pressure did have some effect.  However, influence and absolute control are extremely different things.  Whether willfully or due to genuine ignorance, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding the difference between an ally and a puppet state.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7552 on: May 24, 2024, 02:42:36 PM »

Yes. He is.

but leftistly.

That's right.

This is one of the most bizarre takes I’ve seen in this thread and that’s saying something.  Not the worst (although it is awful, don’t get me wrong), but certainly one of the most bizarre.  “Israel is the 51st state because we send aid to our allies” is just…woof.  Beyond that, I’ll just say there is a lot to unpack here and leave it at that.

Being Israel's biggest arms supplier, the US have plenty of leverage over Israel, but Biden is, for whatever reasons, afraid to use it.

That’s very different than what you said earlier.  That’s some serious backpedaling you’re doing there!  

Anyway, Biden has done everything he reasonably can and then some without taking a pointlessly taking a wrecking ball to American foreign policy interests.  What you’re choosing to ignore is that Israel is a sovereign country and the US can’t simply force them to do what we say if their government is hellbent on doing something else.  

We can influence them and it’s pretty clear from how much more restrained they’ve been in Rafah that this pressure did have some effect.  However, influence and absolute control are extremely different things.  Whether willfully or due to genuine ignorance, you’re fundamentally misunderstanding the difference between an ally and a puppet state.

No, that is what I said earlier.

I had assumed that you would have known that aid from the US to Israel are used to buy weapons.

Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #7553 on: May 24, 2024, 02:54:55 PM »

The IDF's problem isn't that they're bad on offense, it's that they're have a conscript army that's designed to win a conventional war as quickly as possible using overwhelming firepower so they can be demobilized ASAP. Against huge, unmotivated conscript armies like those of Syria or Egypt this strategy worked great, but groups like Hezbollah and Hamas have learned that "Shock and Awe" can be beaten by waiting out the "Shock" underground and stretching out combat as long as possible. The IDF can't maintain the initial level of firepower for months if not years even with unconditional American support so if their enemy doesn't surrender they don't really have a solution besides blowing up civilian infrastructure in hopes that they get demoralized.

I really don't understand your point here is supposed to mean? Of course fighting a conventional war is easier than an assymetrical one. Hamas could easily be destroyed by the IDF but that would require them actually carrying out the genocide of gazans (the real one, not what twitter leftists call genocide).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7554 on: May 24, 2024, 03:04:01 PM »

Yes. He is.

but leftistly.

That's right.

I had assumed that you would have known that aid from the US to Israel are used to buy weapons.

No, earlier you said the US can dictate Israeli foreign policy because we provide them with aid.  Influence =/= dictate an ally’s foreign policy as though they’re a puppet state
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7555 on: May 24, 2024, 03:17:51 PM »

If America seriously wanted to stop Israel then stopping the supply of weapons and imposing sanctions on companies doing business with Israel would cripple them pretty quickly. Israel's defense industry is totally dependent on imports and international trade for revenue, as a pariah they'd be totally incapable of replenishing most of their stocks. For all the tough talk I suspect the Israelis would pile into Ben Gurion right quick if their Iron Dome was depleted, their fighter jets were grounded for lack of parts and Hezbollah started obliterating targets anywhere freely. Without American backing Israel is like North Korea, a pissant pariah state with a few nuclear missiles.

Last I checked, North Korea's regime is very much still functioning. It would take some months or years for sanctions to have any real effect.

In the meantime, there is another method they could use against Rafah - a siege.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7556 on: May 24, 2024, 03:18:03 PM »

Yes. He is.

but leftistly.

That's right.

No, earlier you said the US can dictate Israeli foreign policy because we provide them with aid.  Influence =/= dictate an ally’s foreign policy as though they’re a puppet state

The US can dictate Israeli foreign policy because we provide them with aid which Israel uses to buy weapons.

Okay. Happy now?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #7557 on: May 24, 2024, 03:32:02 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2024, 03:35:16 PM by Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P! »

The IDF's problem isn't that they're bad on offense, it's that they're have a conscript army that's designed to win a conventional war as quickly as possible using overwhelming firepower so they can be demobilized ASAP. Against huge, unmotivated conscript armies like those of Syria or Egypt this strategy worked great, but groups like Hezbollah and Hamas have learned that "Shock and Awe" can be beaten by waiting out the "Shock" underground and stretching out combat as long as possible. The IDF can't maintain the initial level of firepower for months if not years even with unconditional American support so if their enemy doesn't surrender they don't really have a solution besides blowing up civilian infrastructure in hopes that they get demoralized.

I really don't understand your point here is supposed to mean? Of course fighting a conventional war is easier than an assymetrical one. Hamas could easily be destroyed by the IDF but that would require them actually carrying out the genocide of gazans (the real one, not what twitter leftists call genocide).

Yeah and Putin could have easily destroyed the Ukrainians with a nuclear strike. Is this proof that Putin is a merciful soul, that the Russian Army is a model of humanitarian conduct and that we should send Putin billions of dollars worth of weapons to make sure he wins without nuking anyone?

If America seriously wanted to stop Israel then stopping the supply of weapons and imposing sanctions on companies doing business with Israel would cripple them pretty quickly. Israel's defense industry is totally dependent on imports and international trade for revenue, as a pariah they'd be totally incapable of replenishing most of their stocks. For all the tough talk I suspect the Israelis would pile into Ben Gurion right quick if their Iron Dome was depleted, their fighter jets were grounded for lack of parts and Hezbollah started obliterating targets anywhere freely. Without American backing Israel is like North Korea, a pissant pariah state with a few nuclear missiles.

Last I checked, North Korea's regime is very much still functioning. It would take some months or years for sanctions to have any real effect.

In the meantime, there is another method they could use against Rafah - a siege.

North Korea is optimized to survive autarky whereas Israel is completely integrated into international markets. Also, North Koreans are indoctrinated from birth to obey their leaders who have spent the past several decades optimizing their control over their population whereas a pretty huge number of Israelis either have dual citizenship or the skills necessary to get citizenship somewhere else.

How many Israelis do you think would tolerate North Korean living standards to maintain a siege over Rafah? There may be some but certainly not enough to maintain a cohesive society and military. Not to mention that once a critical mass of Israelis leave it becomes demographically extremely difficult to maintain power thanks to the million plus "Israeli Arabs". I doubt even Netanyahu himself would sacrifice an easy life in Miami for one looking over his shoulder as the unpopular ruler of a dysfunctional pariah state.

Also also, putting aside equipment issues the IDF would face, a siege without international backing would collapse instantly without the Egyptians keeping the border closed and cracking down on tunnels. The IDF has demonstrated little ability to actually destroy tunnels besides caving in a few entrances; if Uncle Sam wanted to break the siege then he could show Hamas and North Korea how real tunnel digging and siege breaking is done. It would be an infinitely simpler task than "destroying Hamas".
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7558 on: May 24, 2024, 04:27:29 PM »

North Korea is optimized to survive autarky whereas Israel is completely integrated into international markets.

Russia was completely integrated into international markets. A lot of coal, wood and natural gas came from there.

Also, Israel now has the Gazan side of the southern border; how long is it going to take Hamas to dig a decent tunnel - without it being detected?

Rafah's population is avoiding quick mass starvation because of outside aid in the first place. If Israel cut the water supply off, then dehydration would come within a few days.
Agafin
Cameroon

« Reply #7559 on: May 24, 2024, 04:36:07 PM »

Yeah and Putin could have easily destroyed the Ukrainians with a nuclear strike. Is this proof that Putin is a merciful soul, that the Russian Army is a model of humanitarian conduct and that we should send Putin billions of dollars worth of weapons to make sure he wins without nuking anyone?

Nice try but no, Ukraine vs Russia is a conventional war, not an asymmetrical one. The Russian army or any other one would find it just as hard to neutralize a Hamas-like militant group while limiting civilian casualties.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7560 on: May 24, 2024, 04:40:54 PM »

Nice try but no, Ukraine vs Russia is a conventional war, not an asymmetrical one. The Russian army or any other one would find it just as hard to neutralize a Hamas-like militant group while limiting civilian casualties.

They haven't even tried in the past.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7561 on: May 24, 2024, 06:20:51 PM »

Yes. He is.

You make an excellent argument for an immediate severing of American-Israeli relations.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7562 on: May 24, 2024, 06:56:55 PM »

Yes. He is.

but leftistly.

That's right.

The US can dictate Israeli foreign policy because we provide them with aid which Israel uses to buy weapons.

Okay. Happy now?

No, still just as ridiculous and willfully ignorant of reality as the first time you said it.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7563 on: May 24, 2024, 07:09:58 PM »

Occupation Has Corrupted the Humanity of Israel’s Military

Israel’s military has brought utter devastation to the Palestinians of Gaza after the attack by Hamas on Oct. 7. But the extreme response is not only a reaction to the horrors of that day. It is also a product of the decades-long role the military has played in enforcing Israeli occupation of Palestinian territories.

The occupation has cultivated a longstanding disregard among Israeli soldiers for Palestinian lives and similar impulses in the words and actions of commanders can be seen to lie behind the horrors of what we are witnessing today.

Israel has governed a people denied basic human rights and the rule of law through constant coercion, threats and intimidation. The idea that the only answer to Palestinian resistance, both violent and nonviolent, is greater — and more indiscriminate — force has shown signs of becoming entrenched in the Israel Defense Forces and in Israeli politics.

I know this through the numerous testimonies collected by my organization, Breaking the Silence, which was formed in 2004 by a group of Israeli veterans to expose the reality of Israel’s military occupation. We know firsthand and from thousands of soldiers that military occupation is imposed on civilians through fear, which is instilled by the growing and often arbitrary use of force.

For 20 years, we have heard these soldiers speak of the gradual erosion of principles that, even if never fully upheld, were once seen as fundamental to the moral character of the Israel Defense Forces. We have continued our work despite criticism from the military and the government.

I also know this because I myself have undergone this moral corruption. I, like many Israeli soldiers, went into the military thinking I knew the difference between right and wrong and had a clear sense of the boundaries on legitimate use of force. But every boundary is destined to be redrawn in a military occupation, whose very existence relies on terrorizing a civilian population into submission.

[...]

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/20/opinion/israel-gaza-idf-palestinians-human-rights.html
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7564 on: May 24, 2024, 07:11:42 PM »

Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #7565 on: May 24, 2024, 08:13:52 PM »

North Korea is optimized to survive autarky whereas Israel is completely integrated into international markets.

Russia was completely integrated into international markets. A lot of coal, wood and natural gas came from there.

Also, Israel now has the Gazan side of the southern border; how long is it going to take Hamas to dig a decent tunnel - without it being detected?

Rafah's population is avoiding quick mass starvation because of outside aid in the first place. If Israel cut the water supply off, then dehydration would come within a few days.

Russia also shares borders with several countries that pretty much openly ignored the sanctions and is one of the few that could be said to be fully self sufficient in terms of natural resources. Whereas Israel shares borders who only tolerate their existence because they receive several billion dollars from the American taxpayer every year to keep quiet and have a military totally dependent on imports. The amount of pain Western pressure could inflict on Israel is on a completely different level from that which they could inflict on Russia.

Also, I'd be skeptical of any Israeli claims of control; they've had northern Gaza under total blockade for the better part of the past several months and yet Hamas is still fighting there and operating tunnels without much sign of collapse so clearly the IDF's "tunnel detection technology" isn't all it's hyped up to be. They aren't likely to be any more successful destroying Hamas's infrastructure in Rafah than they were in Khan Younis or Zaytoun.

Regardless, I didn't say Hamas could break the siege outright but that Uncle Sam could. If breaking the siege of Gaza had the same political priority as supporting the Ukrainians did it wouldn't last five minutes, period.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7566 on: May 24, 2024, 08:46:48 PM »

Israeli military recovers the bodies of 3 more hotages killed on Oct. 7 from Gaza

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israeli-military-recovers-bodies-3-hostages-killed-oct-7-gaza-hamas-rcna153869

"Hanan Yablonka, Michel Nisenbaum, and Orion Hernandez were killed on Oct. 7 at the Mefalsim Intersection and their bodies were taken into Gaza, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement Friday morning, citing intelligence."

R.I.P. Brothers.

The Palestinians are storing dead bodies now?

Keeping them in a fridge. Storage locker? How do you keep 3 dead bodies for 229 days? There is something fundamentally corrupt in stealing dead bodies and storing them.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7567 on: May 24, 2024, 10:36:29 PM »

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7568 on: May 25, 2024, 12:43:58 AM »

The Quiz Show

Does Hamas Want To Kill You?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4bSs2GJ7PW/
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7569 on: May 25, 2024, 01:10:41 AM »

Israeli military recovers the bodies of 3 more hotages killed on Oct. 7 from Gaza

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/israeli-military-recovers-bodies-3-hostages-killed-oct-7-gaza-hamas-rcna153869

"Hanan Yablonka, Michel Nisenbaum, and Orion Hernandez were killed on Oct. 7 at the Mefalsim Intersection and their bodies were taken into Gaza, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement Friday morning, citing intelligence."

R.I.P. Brothers.

Keeping them in a fridge. Storage locker? How do you keep 3 dead bodies for 229 days? There is something fundamentally corrupt in stealing dead bodies and storing them.
It should be noted that both the Israeli government and various Palestinian groups do this and have been doing it for a while.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7570 on: May 25, 2024, 03:13:08 AM »

Also, I'd be skeptical of any Israeli claims of control; they've had northern Gaza under total blockade for the better part of the past several months and yet Hamas is still fighting there and operating tunnels without much sign of collapse so clearly the IDF's "tunnel detection technology" isn't all it's hyped up to be. They aren't likely to be any more successful destroying Hamas's infrastructure in Rafah than they were in Khan Younis or Zaytoun.

I was talking about the construction of new tunnels. Those produce spoil and noise. They also need tools, props etc.

The vast majority of tunnelling attempts at Stalag Luft III were detected before they were anywhere near completed.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7571 on: May 25, 2024, 04:22:47 AM »

R.I.P. Brothers.

It should be noted that both the Israeli government and various Palestinian groups do this and have been doing it for a while.

Brah, the Palestinians are keeping the decapitated heads of victims in their fridge/freezer.

In their homes.

Equivalency?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #7572 on: May 25, 2024, 05:23:30 AM »

R.I.P. Brothers.

Brah, the Palestinians are keeping the decapitated heads of victims in their fridge/freezer.

In their homes.

Equivalency?

The British would bury those executed in unmarked graves in the prison grounds - it was explicitly part of the sentence. 15 of the 17 men executed at Crumlin Road in Belfast are still there, even after that part of the sentence was cancelled in 1999.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #7573 on: May 25, 2024, 05:24:31 AM »

Ezekiel 7:23

“for the land is filled with crimes of blood and the city if full of Hamas”

Hilly Solomon, 26, of Kfar Yona, was murdered by Hamas terrorists at the Supernova music festival on October 7.

https://static.timesofisrael.com/www/uploads/2024/03/%D7%94%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%99-%D7%96%D7%9C-e1710680214967.jpg

Her sister, Tal, describes the last moments of her sister’s life.

Hilly Solomon Remembers Her Sister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgPEw__wbOI
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7574 on: May 25, 2024, 08:32:23 AM »

Some good news that probably won’t be covered much:

Israel killed Tziad Al-Din Al-Sharfa, Hamas’ Deputy Head of National Security for Gaza, in an airstrike.  The reason this is such a big deal is that one of Al-Sharfa’s main jobs was overseeing and managing Hamas’ efforts to forcibly prevent Palestinian civilians from evacuating potential or current combat zones.  

While he’ll obviously be replaced, there is a very real possibility that his death causes enough chaos for a day or two to allow some civilians to safely escape western Rafah before Israel gets there.  Al-Sharfa was an upper mid-tier guy rather than part of leadership, but he was basically Hamas’ “maximizing Palestinian civilian casualties czar” and his death could have a meaningful impact if his replacement turns out to be incompetent or Hamas doesn’t get around to replacing him for a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 298 299 300 301 302 [303] 304 305 306 307 308 ... 329  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies