Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 06:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 ... 327
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 235187 times)
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5900 on: February 09, 2024, 08:57:54 PM »

Biden: Please end the war, it's hurting my reelection chances.

Blinken: We are so close to a ceasefire deal. We are making progress.

Qatar: Hamas responded positively, and we're about to get a deal.

Netanyahu the next day: Invades Rafah

Hey, quick question, what was in Hamas' offer of a ceasefire deal?
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5901 on: February 09, 2024, 09:03:29 PM »

135 days, release of some terrorist prisoners, 3 phases of 45 days each where in the last phase Israel must commit to a permanent ceasefire. About 1 Israelite released per day. 1400 total Palestinian prisoners released.

Israel wanted somewhere around 45 days total for the ceasefire, and didn't want to release some terrorists.

I'm not really taking a side, but it is very humiliating for Biden.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #5902 on: February 09, 2024, 10:32:48 PM »

135 days, release of some terrorist prisoners, 3 phases of 45 days each where in the last phase Israel must commit to a permanent ceasefire. About 1 Israelite released per day. 1400 total Palestinian prisoners released.

Israel wanted somewhere around 45 days total for the ceasefire, and didn't want to release some terrorists.

Imo the mistake lies solidly with Biden for even trying to negotiate with Hamas. The international conversation about this has been all wrong. It should never have been about "try to reach a negotiated end to the war by negotiating with Hamas", it should have been about "how do we best support Gazan civilians whilst we back Israel in eradicating all Hamas control in Gaza"

Ultimately Biden has prioritized Hamas over what should have been the priority, protecting civilians.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #5903 on: February 09, 2024, 10:50:57 PM »

Anyone whose seen your posts knows that's not true.
Birdish
United States

« Reply #5904 on: February 09, 2024, 11:12:52 PM »

I will add, by the way, that negotiations are still ongoing. Netanyahu rejected the most recent proposal, but it's been reported by multiple outlets that both sides are still open to some kind of deal.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5905 on: February 09, 2024, 11:50:47 PM »

Bernie Sanders says he wants to ‘kill funding for Netanyahu’s war machine – period’

Outside the Senate chambers, moments after he finished an impassioned floor speech, Senator Bernie Sanders minced no words when he told The Independent his thoughts on US aid to Israel.

“What I want to do is kill the funding for [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu’s war machine — period,” Mr Sanders told The Independent.

The independent senator from Vermont opposes unconditional aid to Israel.

“What the Netanyahu government is doing is immoral,” Mr Sanders said during a Senate floor speech in December 2023. “It is in violation of international law, and the United States should not be complicit in those actions,” he added.

[...]

https://www.the-independent.com/news/world/americas/us-politics/bernie-sanders-benjamin-netanyahu-israel-aid-b2493878.html
The Economy is Getting Worse
riverwalk3
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.93, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #5906 on: February 10, 2024, 12:17:28 AM »

Anyone whose seen your posts knows that's not true.
I'm anti-Biden, but am not invested in any side in the Israel/Gaza war.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5907 on: February 10, 2024, 12:59:03 AM »

Hila Shoshani, 13

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3IOSzsLlBo/

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5908 on: February 10, 2024, 10:42:18 AM »

Let Israel destroy Hamas first.  Only then can we seriously talk about a cease fire.  
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5909 on: February 10, 2024, 12:04:05 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 01:16:29 PM by Comrade Funk »

Let Israel destroy Hamas first.  Only then can we seriously talk about a cease fire. 
Well I guess if you kill hundreds of thousands some of them will end up being in Hamas, right? Israel has already lost the war. They've created a new generation of Hamas and their international standing has dropped to the lowest it's ever been. They had a window of opportunity and they destroyed it. They're lucky the president is an old guard Israel hack because that's not gonna fly in a Democratic primary anymore. It's a partisan issue now and Israel has only themselves to blame. But ofc they'll just blame it on antisemitism or bias.

But yeah. "Destroying Hamas" is just as nebulous as the "War on Terror" and "destroying the Taliban." Amazing how some Biden hacks are just as accepting of this crap as Vosem.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5910 on: February 10, 2024, 12:39:42 PM »

Let Israel destroy Hamas first.  Only then can we seriously talk about a cease fire. 
Well I guess if you kill hundreds of thousands some of the will end up being in Hamas, right? Israel has already lost the war. They've created a new generation of Hamas and their international standing has dropped to the lowest it's ever been. They had a window of opportunity and they destroyed it. They're lucky the president is an old guard Israel hack because that's not gonna fly in a Democratic primary anymore. It's a partisan issue now and Israel has only themselves to blame. But ofc they'll just blame it on antisemitism or bias.

But yeah. "Destroying Hamas" is just as nebulous as the "War on Terror" and "destroying the Taliban." Amazing how some Biden hacks are just as accepting of this crap as Vosem.

"Centrist" Biden hacks have been worse about this war than the right, at least on this forum.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5911 on: February 10, 2024, 01:06:31 PM »

Let Israel destroy Hamas perpetrate its genocide in Gaza first.  Only then can we seriously talk about a cease fire annexing the West Bank.  

Corrected for you. Add "ethnic cleansing" to "genocide" and "annexation"

The moral abyss in which the friends of Israel are falling becomes inceeasingly evident. Western democracies will be done after this
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5912 on: February 10, 2024, 01:24:08 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 01:28:40 PM by Frodo »

Is that how it is here?  Fine, I can play that game too:

Judging by the trajectory of anti-Vietnam War protests, it is only a matter of time before you all will be waving Hamas flags in the streets during your protests and demonstrations alongside your Palestinian flags, chanting 'we are all Hamas!'.  How soon will it be before some of you will be openly wishing the Nazis had 'finished the job' in news interviews, assuming you aren't doing so already?  No one outside your movement actually likes you. Have you ever wondered about that?   
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5913 on: February 10, 2024, 01:39:27 PM »

It’s time to designate UNRWA as a terrorist organization. Defunding is not enough.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #5914 on: February 10, 2024, 02:37:49 PM »

Judging by the trajectory of anti-Vietnam War protests, it is only a matter of time before you all will be waving Hamas flags in the streets during your protests and demonstrations alongside your Palestinian flags, chanting 'we are all Hamas!'.  How soon will it be before some of you will be openly wishing the Nazis had 'finished the job' in news interviews, assuming you aren't doing so already?  No one outside your movement actually likes you. Have you ever wondered about that?   
Just want to say that I believe Horus is Jewish and I am too. So please apologize and enough with your disgusting assumptions based on nothing
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5915 on: February 10, 2024, 02:44:18 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 02:49:31 PM by Frodo »

Just want to say that I believe Horus is Jewish and I am too. So please apologize and enough with your disgusting assumptions based on nothing

For what?  You make claims I support genocide, and now that I insult you back, you act offended?  Spare me your fake outrage.  
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

« Reply #5916 on: February 10, 2024, 02:44:28 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 02:47:35 PM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

Is that how it is here?  Fine, I can play that game too:

Judging by the trajectory of anti-Vietnam War protests, it is only a matter of time before you all will be waving Hamas flags in the streets during your protests and demonstrations alongside your Palestinian flags, chanting 'we are all Hamas!'.  How soon will it be before some of you will be openly wishing the Nazis had 'finished the job' in news interviews, assuming you aren't doing so already?  No one outside your movement actually likes you. Have you ever wondered about that?   

They can think of us as whatever that hell they'd like to, and I, like the millions of other people around the globe supporting Palestine does not give a flying fück. All I know is that my brothers and sisters in Gaza are being slaughtered daily, and my government is complicit in their deaths by continuing to aid the nation killing them.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #5917 on: February 10, 2024, 02:44:51 PM »

It’s time to designate UNRWA as a terrorist organization. Defunding is not enough.

There's no way UNRWA can claim they didn't know about this.

"Directly beneath UNRWA’s Gaza headquarters, IDF uncovers top secret Hamas data center"

https://www.timesofisrael.com/directly-beneath-unrwas-gaza-headquarters-idf-uncovers-top-secret-hamas-data-center/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5918 on: February 10, 2024, 03:47:16 PM »

The UNRWA should be designated as a terrorist organization
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5919 on: February 10, 2024, 04:16:35 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 04:25:15 PM by Vosem »

They can think of us as whatever that hell they'd like to, and I, like the millions of other people around the globe supporting Palestine does not give a flying fück. All I know is that my brothers and sisters in Gaza are being slaughtered daily, and my government is complicit in their deaths by continuing to aid the nation killing them.

A shame, because if you and your brothers and sisters were to join those who are bombing them, the ideology of Palestinian liberationism would not threaten your countries either.

The fun thing is that people as ignorant as you and Horus are already doing this.

The UNRWA should be designated as a terrorist organization

More generally, all organizations which have provided "aid" to Gaza over the past many years should be investigated, and much of their leadership should be prosecuted. Also more generally, other such UN "aid" organizations should be investigated, as while they're all much smaller-scale than UNRWA many of them have similar pathologies. Palestinian liberationism lives because of support it receives from abroad; if that support can be fully cut off it will wither.

Let Israel destroy Hamas first.  Only then can we seriously talk about a cease fire.  
Well I guess if you kill hundreds of thousands some of them will end up being in Hamas, right? Israel has already lost the war. They've created a new generation of Hamas and their international standing has dropped to the lowest it's ever been. They had a window of opportunity and they destroyed it. They're lucky the president is an old guard Israel hack because that's not gonna fly in a Democratic primary anymore. It's a partisan issue now and Israel has only themselves to blame. But ofc they'll just blame it on antisemitism or bias.

Literally polls show comfortable pluralities of Democrats supporting arming Israel; in polls which have both/neither options (like YouGov) you often find the statistic that 18-29-year-old Democrats support Israel more than Palestine (and it's pretty much always close). I don't think this is true; American voters, probably including Democratic primary voters, are likely to continue supporting Israel for my lifetime. (Also, like, in the 21st century support has normally risen in First World countries in response to episodes of warfare; contrast Sunak's support for the Gaza campaign to Thatcher sanctioning the Beirut one).

More generally I doubt pro-government sentiment in the US can survive the decline in trust in institutions without closely tying itself to the military, and so long as "aid to Israel" is an easy way to do subsidies for military-associated corporations, it won't be questioned very much. Also more generally I doubt the US could stop supporting Israel without withdrawing from its entire alliance system, so as long as the Democrats are the NATO/Ukraine party they'll also end up being pro-Israel.

In what way is "destroying Hamas" or "destroying the Taliban" nebulous? It is possible to capture every member, and then demilitarize or jail or execute (or forcibly conscript) them. This is the fate numerous other organizations have suffered -- where is the LTTE? (Also, you don't hear much from the PFLP these days, for a Palestinian example). Moreover, Hamas in Gaza does not have the advantage of a long Pakistan-Afghanistan border among which they can hide; the crossing with Egypt is short, flat, and relatively easy for a foreign military to occupy.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #5920 on: February 10, 2024, 08:30:35 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2024, 08:34:19 PM by wnwnwn »

It's a different situation. Americans drafted youth ain't dying on Gaza nor Israel. Normal people care about other things. A situation with the Vietnam War is that communist used the situation to get some support in the USA. In this case, muslims are using the situation to try somehow to reduce islamophobia and increase the support by american progressives and DSA of them. Something common is that the racial elements are overrated by the 'anti-western imperialism' side. North Vietnam fought South Vietnam with USA support. There were ethnic vietnami people on both sides. The problem is that it was guerrilla war, something that caused a war as nasty and unwinnable as it ended up being. In Gaza, the racial situario  is the question whatever israeli jewish people have a right in the area. To me, the 'white colonizer' argument is nonsense. The problem is that Hamas as a islamist militia (terrorists group, one may say) won't do normal welfare. They hode in tunnels and Israel can't just flood the tunnels as there are israelis there. The result is a nasty lopsided war too.

I'm a zionist, but I think that Israel deserve to have a lot of ofensive measures funded as long as they have a well funded Iron Dome program. If I was Biden, I would push to fully fund the Iron Dome, fund guns and fund israeli soldier training up to a point, but not fund any bombs directed to Gaza soil.
Obviously, antizionist would also be agaisnt that idea, but they are a minority in US politics. The problem is that AIPAC and especially zionist hardliners like Mast would also be agaisnt the idea.

UNWRA deserves no funding, but there should be some sort of replacement.

On what Biden will actually do, I think he is a zionist but he also tries to be seem a moderate on the issue. He has demanded a report just before Israel got under that Hamas data tunnel. I think he and the AIPAC have some sort of plan to increase the support to Israel and justify more funding to it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5921 on: February 10, 2024, 11:54:17 PM »

I suspect it is not "nebulous" for Netanyahu's government, it's just much bleaker than they're willing to say publicly. As you've just indirectly pointed out, this is their one chance to utterly destroy the Gaza Strip. Looked at very coldly, Israel has already paid the lion's share of the price for doing so. If they do invade Rafah and push the majority of the Palestinians there either into the West Bank or into some diaspora, is the international response going to be measurably worse than it already (quite understandably) is? Can the Palestinians be driven to any more despair or anger at Israel than they already (again, understandably) possess?

What's the benefit to Netanyahu and the people who agree with him, to stopping now, instead of after they've rendered Gaza uninhabitable? What is the cost to them of fighting to the last Palestinian?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5922 on: February 11, 2024, 03:43:38 AM »
« Edited: February 11, 2024, 03:51:31 AM by Silent Hunter »

Destroying Hamas, unless they surrender, is going to involve destroying Gaza.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #5923 on: February 11, 2024, 03:53:23 AM »

which is tragic, but doesn't change the need to destroy Hamas
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #5924 on: February 11, 2024, 04:04:11 AM »

which is tragic, but doesn't change the need to destroy Hamas

And how many innocent people need to die before they declare that objective complete?

Unless you're Vosem and think Palestinians aren't human, then there are no lines you can;t cross.
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 ... 327  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies