Israel-Gaza war
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel-Gaza war
« previous next »
Thread note
MODERATOR WARNING: Any kind of inappropriate posts, including support for indiscriminate killing of civilians, and severe personal attacks against other posters will not be tolerated.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 323
Author Topic: Israel-Gaza war  (Read 232116 times)
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: October 17, 2023, 01:34:53 PM »

IDF needs to release a statement quickly then. Multiple news organizations are just verbatim quoting Palestinian officials that it was an IDF strike.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2401 on: October 17, 2023, 01:36:44 PM »

IDF needs to release a statement quickly then. Multiple news organizations are just verbatim quoting Palestinian officials that it was an IDF strike.

Those organizations will, unfortunately, most likely continue doing that until they are struck by Hamas rockets.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2402 on: October 17, 2023, 01:40:13 PM »

So instead of the BBC, I'm suppose to take a Twitter account with the tagline 'Israel’s enemies do not sleep. Neither do we.' word instead? I agree that no one should rush to assign blame during an active situation like this, which is why I posted the IDF's 'statement' that they were looking into it. I'll wait for more reputable sources to investigate before commenting further unlike some of the other zealots above.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #2403 on: October 17, 2023, 01:51:17 PM »

Has anyone seen this:

https://www.msnbc.com/chris-jansing-reports/watch/hamas-says-civilians-could-be-quickly-released-if-israeli-airstrikes-stop-195814469797
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2404 on: October 17, 2023, 01:52:17 PM »

Does that sound like a "misfired rocket" to you?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2405 on: October 17, 2023, 01:53:50 PM »

Israel is required to painstakingly determine how each baby’s head was removed from its body. Hamas spits out propaganda and it’s immediately regurgitated by the media who repackage it as a neutral statement from “Palestinian authorities.”
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2406 on: October 17, 2023, 01:56:46 PM »

20 years ago the Taliban offered to hand over Bin Laden, no strings attached, and the US said no. Imagine how much blood and treasure that could have saved.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2407 on: October 17, 2023, 01:57:54 PM »

So instead of the BBC, I'm suppose to take a Twitter account with the tagline 'Israel’s enemies do not sleep. Neither do we.' word instead? I agree that no one should rush to assign blame during an active situation like this, which is why I posted the IDF's 'statement' that they were looking into it. I'll wait for more reputable sources to investigate before commenting further unlike some of the other zealots above.

They're not contradicting each other; if you go to the BBC you will note that the headline, and the contents of the article, are simply quotes from "Palestinian officials", and the sole source cited in the article is "a Gaza Health Ministry official". Technically, Western journalists are not even lying to you; it is just that the framing is influenced by a persistently wrong picture of the world that makes the BBC believe the words of "Gaza Health Ministry officials", and support cartoonishly evil things like Palestinian liberationism.

(Is there a news outlet disputing that the reason for the very large explosion was a rocket striking a rocket depot? The line that the explosion happened during a series of Hamas rocket launches has so far only been repeated by sources I'd consider questionable, but I haven't seen anyone deny the first bit, in which case the blame for their deaths is on Hamas. Incidentally if that is true the hospital would be a legitimate military target, though I think it is unlikely -- again, just, Occam's Razor, seek the simplest explanations for things -- that this was caused by an Israeli airstrike.)

(Here's a Reuters article quoting, uh, "a Gaza civil defense chief" and "a Gaza Health Ministry official". No other sources.)

~~

Ultimately, Palestinian liberationism will be defeated only when foreign sympathy for it is completely destroyed.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2408 on: October 17, 2023, 01:58:07 PM »

So instead of the BBC, I'm suppose to take a Twitter account with the tagline 'Israel’s enemies do not sleep. Neither do we.' word instead?
Well, the only other "source" is the "Gaza authorities" (literally Hamas), who are known for using hospitals for military purposes.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2409 on: October 17, 2023, 01:58:18 PM »

I24 reporting that: Initial investigation by IDF shows explosion in hospital in Gaza was caused by a failed Hamas rocket launch.

First "reputable" source so far.

https://www.i24news.tv/en
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2410 on: October 17, 2023, 01:59:27 PM »

Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2411 on: October 17, 2023, 01:59:41 PM »

Does that sound like a "misfired rocket" to you?

It sounds like the explosion of a rocket depot.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2412 on: October 17, 2023, 02:03:53 PM »

Abbas has cancelled the meeting with Biden.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #2413 on: October 17, 2023, 02:04:49 PM »

Abbas cancels Biden meeting. If Israrl did this, they just erased most of the goodwill they gained.
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #2414 on: October 17, 2023, 02:05:01 PM »

Decolonization according to hard left

We should listen closely to these latter-day Bolsheviks and their many enablers. They are being honest. They are saying exactly what they believe and what they want to see happen.

Which means the next time some academic or media personality on cable blithely informs us that Palestine must be liberated “from the river to the sea”—that means from the Jordan River to the Mediterranean, i.e., the whole of the Jewish state—we should ask them whether they are okay with all the girls who will be raped, all the old people and toddlers who will be mowed down or strung up. We should ask if they believe that as a “settler-colonialist” entity, the United States awaits a similar fate.

What would this death cult do if it could do anything? We have glimpsed that over the past 72 hours. We know what they are capable of, and we know that they have many defenders here at home. Those who imagine themselves fomenting the long-awaited revolution. Those who know that the beloved academic language of decolonization means nothing if you’re unwilling to see it enacted in flesh, and especially blood.

https://www.thefp.com/p/this-is-what-decolonization-looks
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2415 on: October 17, 2023, 02:05:33 PM »

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2416 on: October 17, 2023, 02:10:11 PM »

20 years ago the Taliban offered to hand over Bin Laden, no strings attached, and the US said no. Imagine how much blood and treasure that could have saved.
This is just completely made up. Totally fictitious.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2417 on: October 17, 2023, 02:11:07 PM »

It's horrific either way.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2418 on: October 17, 2023, 02:12:29 PM »

This is just completely made up. Totally fictitious.

It is true that the Taliban offered to extradite Bin Laden to the US after 9/11. The problem is that this would not have destroyed the organization that carried out the attacks, that it would have left in power a regime that permitted these organizations to organize, and that it remains very unclear if the offer was made in good faith at all.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2419 on: October 17, 2023, 02:13:26 PM »

Decolonization according to hard left

We should listen closely to these latter-day Bolsheviks and their many enablers. They are being honest. They are saying exactly what they believe and what they want to see happen.

*snip*

We should ask if they believe that as a “settler-colonialist” entity, the United States awaits a similar fate.

What would this death cult do if it could do anything? We have glimpsed that over the past 72 hours. We know what they are capable of, and we know that they have many defenders here at home. Those who imagine themselves fomenting the long-awaited revolution. Those who know that the beloved academic language of decolonization means nothing if you’re unwilling to see it enacted in flesh, and especially blood.

Counterpoint: no.

Most of these people would be targets and acknowledge this. When they make unserious statements such as, "I would be in favour of Native Americans killing me," they do so precisely because the possibility is so remote. It is a virtue signal - were there a serious threat, their material interests would win out 99% of the time.

I'm sure some of them think they are being honest - but this is a subset of people lying to themselves, because wishing to be gassed by Cherokees is a luxury racist belief. They have not given away all that they own, made serious efforts to leave the country, killed themselves, or (in most cases) done anything remotely approaching these three things.

This is mostly just a figleaf for them to hide behind when they want to cheer it on elsewhere. In academia, sometimes it is necessary to tout some very strange bonafides.

A good number of them would probably be Bibi supporters in Israel.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #2420 on: October 17, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »

Why is it taking Israel this long to confirm or deny they are responsible for this?
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #2421 on: October 17, 2023, 02:16:14 PM »

OOPS
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2422 on: October 17, 2023, 02:17:38 PM »

There are few people who have less influence and relevance than the people who think that literally all white people in North America should go back to Europe. This is a fringe position even among "decolonial" activists, for whom "decolonization" is more comparable to Bolivia.
Birdish
Bartlet2002
United States

« Reply #2423 on: October 17, 2023, 02:19:03 PM »

Why is it taking Israel this long to confirm or deny they are responsible for this?

It's surprising. They were pretty quick when they announced they accidently bombed a group of journalists the other day.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2424 on: October 17, 2023, 02:22:29 PM »

Is there an "either way" if the cause was 'rocket depot blew up'? The source of the spark that lit the fuse is responsible in a but-for sense but the problem was that the rocket depot was there at all.

OOPS

Ah. The time has come for us to trust "pro-Israeli social media influencers"! I hope those are the only sources you'll be citing from here on out.

(It looks like this guy's job -- or possibly hobby -- is "take whatever news is happening and spin it in a pro-Israel way", and he severely misunderstood exactly what happened here. Darkly funny, I guess.)
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 323  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies