Free & Progressive Denmark full of genocide deniers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:34:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Free & Progressive Denmark full of genocide deniers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Free & Progressive Denmark full of genocide deniers  (Read 838 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 05, 2023, 02:23:35 PM »
« edited: October 08, 2023, 04:59:29 AM by afleitch »

Good Twitter thread:
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 09:59:47 PM »

Canada unfortunately also has a history of forcible sterilization/cultural genocide of the indigenous population in the past and here some of the women who are still alive who were sterilized have gone to court over this issue too to seek compensation IIRC.

However, I would also avoid believing everything you read on Twitter. Some of the claims in that Twitter thread seem untrue, vague and/or possibly exaggerated, such as the claim it that it is still happening now or that 'many' Danes deny/downplay it (how many is many, is there any polling)? The Twitter thread certainly doesn't provide any sources.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 11:16:07 PM »

Mads Pramming is a silly name
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2023, 03:00:42 AM »

It's an open secret at best that the opinions of many Danes on the people of Greenland, and the relationship of the Danish state with them much of the time, sit somewhere between "Winnipeg and First Nations" and "Budapest and Romani" on the scale of enlightened liberalism.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2023, 06:52:39 AM »

I would have been surprised if that was not broadly true.

But to what extent is it still happening now, is surely the question raised by this thread.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2023, 02:26:26 PM »

Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

43% of Greenlanders born in the 70ties experienced sexual abuse through their childhood. This resulted in two things, many children tended to be removed especially if the parents moved to the mainland where there was greater interaction with social workers, especially if the parent also had substance abuse. But we also saw some doctors deal with the epidemic of teen pregnancies by inserting coils in teen girls, this started under the Danish administration but continued under Greenlandic home rule. This was incredible problematic both because the girls weren’t informed and it was simply symptom treatment of a rampant sexual abuse epidemic.

Also no it’s not an open secret that Greenlanders are seen as gypsies, you need to be incredible ignorant to think that. This doesn’t mean that negative stereotypes of Greenlanders doesn’t exist, but they’re not about Greenlanders being thieves, robbers or other criminals like the Romani, but about them being drunks.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2023, 01:21:53 AM »

43% of Greenlanders born in the 70ties experienced sexual abuse through their childhood. This resulted in two things, many children tended to be removed especially if the parents moved to the mainland where there was greater interaction with social workers, especially if the parent also had substance abuse. But we also saw some doctors deal with the epidemic of teen pregnancies by inserting coils in teen girls, this started under the Danish administration but continued under Greenlandic home rule. This was incredible problematic both because the girls weren’t informed and it was simply symptom treatment of a rampant sexual abuse epidemic.

Also no it’s not an open secret that Greenlanders are seen as gypsies, you need to be incredible ignorant to think that. This doesn’t mean that negative stereotypes of Greenlanders doesn’t exist, but they’re not about Greenlanders being thieves, robbers or other criminals like the Romani, but about them being drunks.

The degree of negative stereotyping was the comparison being made, not the specific types of stereotypes involved. What you're describing bears striking similarities to what the First Nations went through on the Canadian Prairies, which was of course the other analogy Battista drew.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2023, 02:28:22 AM »

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark. But this sounds like it was awhile ago.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2023, 03:44:58 AM »

Ignore such comparisons, they are purely designed as quips for the dandy band of Old Generation international posters to guffaw behind their keyboards. While they mock Americans for their own clumsy comparisons between the Midwest and Red Wall.

ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2023, 07:41:36 AM »

The degree of negative stereotyping was the comparison being made, not the specific types of stereotypes involved. What you're describing bears striking similarities to what the First Nations went through on the Canadian Prairies, which was of course the other analogy Battista drew.

Greenland is the only country in the Americas, where the indigenous population weren’t genocided or ethnic cleansed*, the Greenlanders have the highest living standard of any indigenous people in the Americas, their language is the official language of Greenland. Which is why I find this kind of bullsh**t by people who have committed genocide and ethnic cleansing against their indigenous populations so incredible hypocritical and frustrating.

*Interesting, USA wanted Denmark to ethnic cleanse the Greenlandic population in 1946 to make room for American military bases, they wanted the population “relocated” to Alaska. Such a “relocation” would even in best case likely have killed 10% of the population, but I’m sure that it would not have been best case, and we would have seen 25-33% dying in the “relocation” and rehousing.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2023, 12:32:20 PM »

Greenland is the only country in the Americas, where the indigenous population weren’t genocided or ethnic cleansed*, the Greenlanders have the highest living standard of any indigenous people in the Americas, their language is the official language of Greenland. Which is why I find this kind of bullsh**t by people who have committed genocide and ethnic cleansing against their indigenous populations so incredible hypocritical and frustrating.

*Interesting, USA wanted Denmark to ethnic cleanse the Greenlandic population in 1946 to make room for American military bases, they wanted the population “relocated” to Alaska. Such a “relocation” would even in best case likely have killed 10% of the population, but I’m sure that it would not have been best case, and we would have seen 25-33% dying in the “relocation” and rehousing.

I'm aware that Denmark's record here is not as bad as the US's or Canada's, but I literally work in Native issues in real life so I'd really rather not be treated as implicitly too guilty in that to have an informed opinion.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »

I'm aware that Denmark's record here is not as bad as the US's or Canada's, but I literally work in Native issues in real life so I'd really rather not be treated as implicitly too guilty in that to have an informed opinion.

Do you work in the death camps or the sterilization centers?

You may think you don’t deserve that cruelty, but that’s honestly the same tone which is taken toward Denmark, which have treated the Greenlanders vastly better than any other country have treated the indigenous population of the Americas. Is Denmark innocent of any wrong doing; no of course not, but Greenlanders was not treated differently than any other Danes who lived outside the capital was treated*, and today they run Greenland themselves and they have pretty much been in charge of any domestic policies which have been implemented or uphold on Greenland since 1979.

* they just lack local elites who could push back.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2023, 02:38:48 PM »

I'm going to assume this is an ill-judged attempt at edgy humor and gently remind you that I'm already conceding your substantive point.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2023, 06:53:58 PM »

I was going to let Nathan's first comment suffice but given how the situation there escalated I want to reply myself. My quip was meant to evoke a broad similarity in degree of negative stereotyping (and certain state policies) but I should have made myself more clear - "much of the time" was including all the past and of course I don't think the Inuit are seen as gypsies. I will concede your points. I think the brouhaha that followed could have been avoided.

Ignore such comparisons, they are purely designed as quips for the dandy band of Old Generation international posters to guffaw behind their keyboards. While they mock Americans for their own clumsy comparisons between the Midwest and Red Wall.

This is the 2023 version of windjammer telling me the standard for everything I post is "behaving like an arsehole to impress Al".
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2023, 07:17:31 PM »

I was going to let Nathan's first comment suffice but given how the situation there escalated I want to reply myself. My quip was meant to evoke a broad similarity in degree of negative stereotyping (and certain state policies) but I should have made myself more clear - "much of the time" was including all the past and of course I don't think the Inuit are seen as gypsies. I will concede your points. I think the brouhaha that followed could have been avoided.

This is the 2023 version of windjammer telling me the standard for everything I post is "behaving like an arsehole to impress Al".

You're not an arsehole, I think in spite of some differences you are actually quite a nice empathetic person. I'm saying the use of this kind of vocabulary is probably picked up from the overall culture of the old guard IGD posters.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2023, 07:51:28 PM »

I'm going to assume this is an ill-judged attempt at edgy humor and gently remind you that I'm already conceding your substantive point.

I apologize, I was angry and tired and you didn’t deserve that joke.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2023, 11:32:03 PM »

I apologize, I was angry and tired and you didn’t deserve that joke.

I know how it is; we're all good on my end.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies