Should "zero tolerance" school policies be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should "zero tolerance" school policies be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should "zero tolerance" school policies be abolished?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Should "zero tolerance" school policies be abolished?  (Read 1754 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »

Absolutely. It's been proven anyway these idiotic policies don't result in kids behaving any better anyway.

These of course are the type of stupid policies that result in idiotic standards like bringing a Boy Scouts pocketknife to school is considered no different from bringing a gun, or having aspirin on hand is considered no different from having cocaine, or where kids are investigated for "terroristic threats" for writing stories that involve murders and that sort of stuff. I heard once about a kid who was suspended for bringing a "gun" to school, albeit a very small gun, considering that it was a plastic one for a GI Joe action figure.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 12:09:31 PM »

"Zero tolerance" policies would be fine if you lived in a fantasy world where you could actually identify with complete accuracy what is and isn't something that will be used as a weapon.

In reality, zero tolerance is nothing more than an excuse for zero intelligence on the part of the school administration in their quest to expel students for bringing a butterknife to school.  So yes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 12:12:29 PM »

Considering every school administrator I've dealt with is an idiot (and I'm sure it's no different anywhere else), it wouldn't matter they either love to displine and do it too much or don't at all
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 12:14:06 PM »

Considering every school administrator I've dealt with is an idiot (and I'm sure it's no different anywhere else), it wouldn't matter they either love to displine and do it too much or don't at all

If they don't have a zero tolerance policy, the school at least has to justify their actions instead of saying "well that's just the zero tolerance policy, durrrrr".
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 12:16:39 PM »

If they don't have a zero tolerance policy, the school at least has to justify their actions instead of saying "well that's just the zero tolerance policy, durrrrr".

Exactly, most administrators have a view of what happened and the situation and just make a punishment before they know the details.  Everything is so by the book.  I did something last year that clearly violated harassment policies and probably should have been suspended two weeks but wound up with two days detention.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »

Yes
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 01:11:52 PM »

That's the most intelligent post Straha has ever made.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 01:19:34 PM »

That's the most intelligent post Straha has ever made.

I wish I had pot/kettle black pic to post, could someone do it for me?
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 04:23:23 PM »

Absolutely. It's been proven anyway these idiotic policies don't result in kids behaving any better anyway.

These of course are the type of stupid policies that result in idiotic standards like bringing a Boy Scouts pocketknife to school is considered no different from bringing a gun, or having aspirin on hand is considered no different from having cocaine, or where kids are investigated for "terroristic threats" for writing stories that involve murders and that sort of stuff. I heard once about a kid who was suspended for bringing a "gun" to school, albeit a very small gun, considering that it was a plastic one for a GI Joe action figure.

Have you heard the one where some students were suspended cause they were playing cops and robbers at recess?

Or how about when a girl was suspended cause she brought one of those small backpacks to school, and attached to the bag was an over sized key chain that might be used as a weapon.

Yeah, pretty dumbass policy.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2007, 05:34:31 PM »

Zero Tolerance is a stupid policy... Each and everything is a seperate issue with its own story and background... Zero Tolerance is the policy that basically states:

"We don't give a damn about justice!.... We want QUIET!!!!!!"
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 05:55:42 PM »

Zero Tolerance is a stupid policy... Each and everything is a seperate issue with its own story and background... Zero Tolerance is the policy that basically states:

"We don't give a damn about justice!.... We want QUIET!!!!!!"

Actually, it doesn't even say that, because zero tolerance policies turn things that should be non-issues (such as a person with a Swiss Army Knife in his backpack) into huge problems that often result in flabbergastingly ridiculous explusions.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »

I have to agree with what everyone else said about zero tolerance policies. They are really just bad for a school and don't delineate between severity or any other cirumstance that may be involved in the case. Not only does it make stupid things like Swiss Army knives possible crisis creators but it also treats the kid with the Swiss Army knive the same as a kid with a gun. Really it's just a way for administrators to get rid of anything that is even slightly problematic without actually having to do any work or investigate things further.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »

Yes to abolishing them. In the wake of various acts of school violence, these types of laws have been passed to give parents and others a false sense of security. If the government did nothing, everyone would be complaining (or at least more so)... that's how we end up with such laws.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 09:25:17 PM »

I'm interested to hear what the three "no" voters have to say.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 09:35:23 PM »

Ah, I remember the artist who was Killerpollo telling me in real life "look, they list no knives, guns, daggers, ......."   "they don't list icepicks, machetes, weapons of mass destruction"  Wink  Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 10:15:17 PM »

We must have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to intolerance. Wink
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 10:57:08 PM »

When I was in high school the principal (a new guy after the old one had been demoted for openly telling teachers that they'd be cut in front of students) announced that we'd be having random dog sniffing searches of the locker areas while we were in class.  The student body booed him off the stage.  Alas, the program was implemented anyway, though the principal, actually being a decent guy, made a concession and allowed for these searches to be announced the morning of.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 11:23:37 PM »

"Zero tolerance" policies would be fine if you lived in a fantasy world where you could actually identify with complete accuracy what is and isn't something that will be used as a weapon.

In reality, zero tolerance is nothing more than an excuse for zero intelligence on the part of the school administration in their quest to expel students for bringing a butterknife to school.  So yes.

Yes, but....

It's not the school admis which set these policies - it's the politicians.

Meant to vote yes, but this poll seems to have zero tollerance for error correction.

Zero tollerance means the politicians don't trust the administrators to use sound judgement.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 11:26:50 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2007, 11:29:29 PM by SoFA Gabu »

Yes, but....

It's not the school admis which set these policies - it's the politicians.

Meant to vote yes, but this poll seems to have zero tollerance for error correction.

Zero tollerance means the politicians don't trust the administrators to use sound judgement.

Yes, it's true that it isn't the school administrations that set the policies, but it certainly is the school administrations that enforce the policies in such a braindead manner.  It seems to me that zero tolerance for weapons doesn't necessarily mean that every single thing made of metal is a weapon, for example.

But yes, the politicians who dreamed up this ridiculous idea certainly have their fair share of the blame.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies