Who was a worse Opponent for Nixon in 1972?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:21:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who was a worse Opponent for Nixon in 1972?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who was a worse Opponent for Nixon in 1972?  (Read 922 times)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2023, 04:54:00 PM »

In 1972, the Democratic Primaries were, in some ways, manipulated by Nixon in such a way that McGovern, not Muskie, would win the primary, mainly because McGovern was seen as the far weaker candidate to run against Nixon that year and that proved to be true. However, my question is, could anyone have been a worse candidate that year that held federal office, someone even more left wing and gaffe prone than McGovern who otl didn't consider running? What would've been the map like had they run for the nomination and somehow won? How could they have won the nomination?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2023, 12:53:51 PM »

Shirley Chisholm would have done worse, unfortunately for quite obvious reasons.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »

Shirley Chisholm would have done worse, unfortunately for quite obvious reasons.

Yeah, I had a feeling it would've been Chrisholm but the real question is how could Nixon manipulate the DNC to get her in as the nominee. Maybe Wallace is assassinated and the scheme done by Nixon to link the assassination to McGovern's Campaign via planted evidence of Bremer supporting McGovern in his apartment works to discredit McGovern's campaign more (and maybe Nixon works a bit harder, ensuring Muskie loses NH and Chrisholm does better than expected in FL, TN, and NC and maybe somehow get her a win in IL (a loss for Muskie in NH would probably seriously hurt his campaign going forward). From there, try and get a new brokered convention and the Democrats, realizing that 1968 might happen all over again, pick Chrisholm to appease the more left-wing elements of the base and as a sacrifical lamb against Nixon. No idea who her VP would be tho
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 12:35:47 AM »

I think Chishom was the only one who would've done worse than McGovern in terms of the PV, although I think that the EV would've looked the same.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 11:55:46 AM »

I think Chishom was the only one who would've done worse than McGovern in terms of the PV, although I think that the EV would've looked the same.

Shirley Chisholm would not have carried Massachusetts.  Just DC.  And her nomination, unfairly, would have cost Democrats the control of the House, and, possibly, the Senate.
TimeUnit2027
Rookie
British Indian Ocean Territory

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 08:37:19 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2023, 08:40:24 AM by TimeUnit2027 »

I doubt that GOP would flip both chambers if Chisholm is nominated. Only Senate is likely.
ReaganLimbaugh
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 06:48:04 PM »

With Chisholm at the top of the ticket for the Democrats, the GOP easily wins the Senate and US House.  Additionally, they make major strides and make Massive gains in southern legislatures.  Democrats nationwide are completely demimated outside of ghetto areas.
Prez_zf
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 08:43:37 PM »

If something had happened to McGovern sometime between July 13 and August 1, then I suppose Eagleton would have been the nominee....And I doubt he'd be able to get more than a third of all votes.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies