Who will be the next speaker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:49:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who will be the next speaker?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: 7 day poll
Someone like McCarthy

Someone less maga than McCarthy

Someone more maga than McCarthy

Other answer

I don't know

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Who will be the next speaker?  (Read 1516 times)
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2023, 04:11:18 PM »

I don't know
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 04:17:51 PM »

Reps. Bose, Sonos, and JBL are my top three contenders.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 04:18:30 PM »

The characterization of “more maga than McCarthy” is weird. McCarthy himself has shifted in his association with Trump many times. On top of that, the eventual Speaker is very likely to be someone from his leadership circle.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 04:21:07 PM »

The characterization of “more maga than McCarthy” is weird. McCarthy himself has shifted in his association with Trump many times. On top of that, the eventual Speaker is very likely to be someone from his leadership circle.
Well, wouldn't those Republicans who voted against him be considered "more maga" than McCarthy?
Tony
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 04:22:15 PM »

Unfortunately someone that listens to Trump even more so....
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 04:22:37 PM »

Well, wouldn't those Republicans who voted against him be considered "more maga" than McCarthy?

Sure, but it’s definitely not gonna be one of them lol.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »

Sure, but it’s definitely not gonna be one of them lol.
of course, but the next speaker may need their support.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 04:24:28 PM »

Option 1.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 04:28:47 PM »

No idea. A compromise speaker with Democrat help is almost certain not to happen, the base will never allow it.

The most likely scenario is a Republican who is a compromise between the moderate and MAGA wings. Someone who can get 218 votes.

Second most likely scenario is no one is elected until Jan 2025. Patrick McHenry has all the power as a regular speaker so business continues.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 04:34:23 PM »

No idea. A compromise speaker with Democrat help is almost certain not to happen, the base will never allow it.

The most likely scenario is a Republican who is a compromise between the moderate and MAGA wings. Someone who can get 218 votes.

Second most likely scenario is no one is elected until Jan 2025. Patrick McHenry has all the power as a regular speaker so business continues.

This I see as the most likely scenario given the state of disarray in the House GOP, with no real leadership in the House going forward until after the 2024 elections (with Democrats likely taking back the chamber).  The sane elements of the caucus will not want to give an inch to MAGA in vengeance for Kevin McCarthy's political demise, and MAGA will not want anyone who isn't already one of them -particularly after their recent experience with McCarthy.  
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »

How about no one ?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 04:40:03 PM »

This I see as the most likely scenario given the state of disarray in the House GOP, with no real leadership in the House going forward until after the 2024 elections (with Democrats likely taking back the chamber).  The sane elements of the caucus will not want to give an inch to MAGA in vengeance for Kevin McCarthy's political demise, and MAGA will not want anyone who isn't already one of them -particularly after their recent experience with McCarthy.  

Of course, can Gaetz motion to vacant McHenry?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 04:47:05 PM »

I'm also in the don't know camp. Like who could they possibly pick that can get the Freedom people but not turnoff the moderates in Biden district and vice versa.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 04:51:06 PM »

I don't think they can vacate the temp.

McHenry though has to be carefull with the limelight, he's only there temporarily and unelected. The temp post could wreck him if he does something besides presiding.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »

McHenry though has to be carefull with the limelight, he's only there temporarily and unelected. The temp post could wreck him if he does something besides presiding.

If you cant vacant the temp, what is the danger?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2023, 05:01:52 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump himself was nominated by the Republicans. The party has gone completely wacko.
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2023, 05:08:28 PM »

If you cant vacant the temp, what is the danger?
Political Danger:

1.Someone who got the post unelected and only on a temporary basis, should not use the powers of the post like people voted for him.

2.Doing things controversial with republican voters is hazardous for a Republican.

3.The public think his post is that of an honest referee and nothing more.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2023, 05:36:55 PM »

Kevin McCarthy
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2023, 05:38:40 PM »

George Santos
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2023, 06:28:11 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump himself was nominated by the Republicans. The party has gone completely wacko.

I f***ing dare them!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2023, 08:30:12 PM »

Someone from the current establishment leadership, Scalise maybe. But he'll get thrown out before the end of next year after the next hissy fit.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2023, 08:47:11 PM »

Jeb!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2023, 09:16:56 PM »

Jeffries 1/3/25 lol it's pointless to go thru a Speakership after the Appropriations are done there is no budget due until Oct 24 and they will postpone it after Eday that was the point of Debt Ceiling postponed after Eday

This is the 2023/24 Fiscal year and they will finish it

The 2024)25 Fiscal yr is due Oct 24 they will go thru a CR and do the Debt Ceiling after Eday
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2023, 10:34:23 PM »

Ultimately, eventually, someone more MAGA than him. It certainly will be a prolonged struggle, but I doubt it'll have a good result.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic. I hope I am. But I expect the moderate Rs will ultimately give in to whoever the fringers decide on. They're always the ones to give in.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2023, 10:47:32 PM »

Scalise, although he will get the boot not long after
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies