Kevin McCarthy - Give him a chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:33:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Kevin McCarthy - Give him a chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Kevin McCarthy - Give him a chance?  (Read 1212 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2023, 04:42:53 PM »

Should he be given a chance to stay in as speaker?

We all know how two-faced and cowardly he's acted in the past, but I'm starting to think that he has been learning from his mistakes and he's getting stronger. I think he should be given a chance to prove himself without all the pressure of the uncertainty he faces every day of being ousted.

That faction that is so against him are all egoists who want their way. Period. But conversation and diplomacy don't work that way. Those obstructionists are out of tune with reality.

I think McCarthy is a likeable person who wants to deal, who wants what is best for the country. How can that be bad?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 04:46:12 PM »

Of course YOU would say this given McCarthy's anti-Ukraine positions.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 04:49:45 PM »

I didn't know his thoughts on Ukraine. I'm just reporting what I'm seeing.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 04:50:17 PM »

Hey Hermit isn’t “anti-Ukraine”. He’s just an independent thinker who does his own research and through sheer coincidence always arrives at pro-Russia positions
oldtimer
Greece

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2023, 04:53:27 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 04:58:50 PM by oldtimer »

McCarthy made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.

He is a rich and powerfull man and will remain so even after he loses the Speakership, no tears need to be shed for him.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2023, 05:19:46 PM »

McCarthy made his bed, now he has to sleep in it.

He is a rich and powerfull man and will remain so even after he loses the Speakership, no tears need to be shed for him.

This. McCarthy is a gaslighter and completely untrustworthy. Dems should not save him.
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2023, 05:57:37 PM »

Lock him up!
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 06:02:26 PM »
« Edited: October 02, 2023, 01:14:09 PM by Person Man »

I’d say we save him to stay tough on Russia, but I don’t think we have reasonable guarantees if that.

In other words, I want to believe that is possible but I know you can’t always get what you want.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 06:04:19 PM »

Nope

McCarthy is too incompetent and untrustworthy to be negotiated with.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 06:06:22 PM »

I’d say we save him to stay tough on Russia, but I don’t think we have reasonable guarantees if that.

Well of course we don't. When elected he disavowed giving Ukraine a "blank check." He refused to invite Zelenskyy to speak to Congress just recently. He is claiming the "border" (a favorite boogeyman of the GOP since the mystical disappearing "caravan" of 2018) is a bigger crisis than Ukraine.

McCarthy is one of the most cowardly and pathetic men I've ever seen in my life. He has no apparent convictions at all, he's the absolute b-tch of the Freedom Caucus and STILL might get thrown overboard by them anyway. At least Gingrich, Boehner, even Ryan had some kind of spine and leadership. McCarthy just barely got there in the first place and is clearly terrified about covering his own ass at all costs more than anything else. He is the poster child of the pathetic cowardice that defines basically every non-Trump Republican in the modern era. (Trump himself is a poster child for narcissism and frankly evil, but at least you can't really call him a coward like you can the rest of the GOP!)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 06:14:29 PM »

After how many votes it took to make him Speaker in the first place? How has this not been his "chance"?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 06:23:50 PM »

Should he be given a chance to stay in as speaker?

We all know how two-faced and cowardly he's acted in the past, but I'm starting to think that he has been learning from his mistakes and he's getting stronger. I think he should be given a chance to prove himself without all the pressure of the uncertainty he faces every day of being ousted.

That faction that is so against him are all egoists who want their way. Period. But conversation and diplomacy don't work that way. Those obstructionists are out of tune with reality.

I think McCarthy is a likeable person who wants to deal, who wants what is best for the country. How can that be bad?

I think the Republicans opposing him are idiots.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 07:19:39 PM »

No. It's on him that Mephistophles is cashing in right now.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 08:05:41 PM »

Hey Hermit isn’t “anti-Ukraine”. He’s just an independent thinker who does his own research and through sheer coincidence always arrives at pro-Russia positions

I'm anti war.  I'm not anti people. I am not anti Ukraine or anti Russia. And I am speaking of the people, not their governments. But this thread is about McCarthy. It seems to me that he needs to grow a spine, and him saying to Gaetz "Bring it on" is a start. We don't need any more Republican hardliners. McCarthy seems to listen to people. That's a good thing in my view.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »

Well of course we don't. When elected he disavowed giving Ukraine a "blank check." He refused to invite Zelenskyy to speak to Congress just recently. He is claiming the "border" (a favorite boogeyman of the GOP since the mystical disappearing "caravan" of 2018) is a bigger crisis than Ukraine.

McCarthy is one of the most cowardly and pathetic men I've ever seen in my life. He has no apparent convictions at all, he's the absolute b-tch of the Freedom Caucus and STILL might get thrown overboard by them anyway. At least Gingrich, Boehner, even Ryan had some kind of spine and leadership. McCarthy just barely got there in the first place and is clearly terrified about covering his own ass at all costs more than anything else. He is the poster child of the pathetic cowardice that defines basically every non-Trump Republican in the modern era. (Trump himself is a poster child for narcissism and frankly evil, but at least you can't really call him a coward like you can the rest of the GOP!)
The border is a bigger issue facing Americans than Ukraine though, at least right now. NYC is at capacity and is in crisis. Detention centers in Texas are at the brink of overfilling. Calling people like Hermit pro-Russia is wrong simply because they are neutral. Lumping people who don't want to give a cent to Zelensky or Putin in the same group as those who actively support Russia's invasion is disengeneous.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 08:24:44 PM »

I'm anti war.  I'm not anti people. I am not anti Ukraine or anti Russia.

You seem to be anti - making good posts and anti - having good takes since switching to an orange avatar. Still wondering where the brainworms came from, since you claim to not watch mainstream media. Are you listening to podcasts? Youtube political commentators?
pantsaregood
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2023, 08:27:02 PM »

no person in human history has ever thought this
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2023, 08:41:50 PM »

I'm anti war.  I'm not anti people. I am not anti Ukraine or anti Russia. And I am speaking of the people, not their governments. But this thread is about McCarthy. It seems to me that he needs to grow a spine, and him saying to Gaetz "Bring it on" is a start. We don't need any more Republican hardliners. McCarthy seems to listen to people. That's a good thing in my view.
You called their president a war criminal for not surrendering their territory over to Russia, said they’re just a pawn of America and not once showed anywhere near such harsh rhetoric for Russia
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2023, 08:43:27 PM »

I'm anti war.  I'm not anti people. I am not anti Ukraine or anti Russia.

You seem to be anti - making good posts and anti - having good takes since switching to an orange avatar. Still wondering where the brainworms came from, since you claim to not watch mainstream media. Are you listening to podcasts? Youtube political commentators?

I read the headlines and I read this forum. I get a lot of good information here. I don't spend a lot of time on the forum or reading about politics. I switched to orange because there is too much I disagree about Democrats and while I do agree with some of the things Republicans stand for, those are ideals and concepts. In reality the GOP stinks.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2023, 09:08:48 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2023, 09:15:25 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Rs were always in trouble with only a 5 seat majority they only won it barely on Zeldin performance in NY he overperformrned in the height of IAN just like Johnson did and Johnson is GONE IN 28 TO SARA RODRIGUEZ

With Feinstein Death there is even more a sympathy vote in CA and Rs like Garcia are even more endangered , that's why I donate to CARILLO , Lee is gonna win 2 times and Schiff is Done

We got this a Secular Congress next ye
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2023, 02:05:37 AM »

Dude, I don't think ANYBODY would accuse you of being anti-Russia.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2023, 02:06:20 AM »

Kevin McCarthy is a spineless moron. He's had his chance and he failed.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2023, 06:27:15 AM »

The face of a man ravaged by the horrors of unwanted cuckoldry:

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2023, 09:45:09 AM »

But a stopgap was passed. How is that a fail? The hardliners wanted to shut down the govt but McCarthy didn't cave in to them. Isn't that true?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2023, 03:50:15 PM »

But a stopgap was passed. How is that a fail? The hardliners wanted to shut down the govt but McCarthy didn't cave in to them. Isn't that true?

He did that by caving into Democrats after grovelling at their feet. A competent Speaker should be able to corral their caucus or conference and not be put in a situation where funding for the  federal government is at risk because of twenty or so lunatics running the asylum.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies