SB 117-47: The End to Medical Termination Act of 2023 - VETOED - SUSTAINED - JUDICALLY OVERTURNED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:48:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 117-47: The End to Medical Termination Act of 2023 - VETOED - SUSTAINED - JUDICALLY OVERTURNED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 117-47: The End to Medical Termination Act of 2023 - VETOED - SUSTAINED - JUDICALLY OVERTURNED  (Read 1408 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2023, 09:49:14 PM »
« edited: November 26, 2023, 04:32:30 PM by PPT Dwarven Dragon »

The End to Medical Termination Act of 2023

Section A. This bill will be cited as The End to Medical Termination Act of 2023

Section B. Penalties:
1. Euthanasia in any form is not permitted within Atlasia.

2. Assisting in the death of another individual shall receive the charge of 'assisting or facilitating the death of another'.

3. Any caregiver, nurse, or doctor charged with 'assisting or facilitating the death of another will be prosecuted for murder in the first degree if it can be proven that their actions were directly responsible for the death of an individual. If convicted, they will also be stripped of their respective licenses. After they have served their time, they may reapply to their respective licensing bodies for the restoration of their licenses.

4. Any individual who does not qualify in the above categories charged with 'assisting or facilitating the death of another' shall be prosecuted for manslaughter if it can be proven that their actions were directly responsible for the death of an individual.

5. Any individual charged and convicted with the crime of 'assisting or facilitating the death of another', who's actions cannot be proven to be directly responsible for the death of an individual shall receive a jail term of no less than 5 years.  

6. If the euthanasia victim possesses a physical or mental disability, an additional charge of 10 years will be added to the sentences above.

Section C. Implementation
This bill will pass effective immediately.

Mostly written and originally sponsored in the Southern government by BenKenobi

Sponsor: Christian Man
Occupying: Slot 11
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 09:52:16 PM »

Thank you PPT Dwarven,

The legalization of euthanasia has been a disaster as people with treatable medical conditions have chosen to end their life rather than seeking medical attention and in the case of physicians is a direct violation of the Hippocratic oath. This bill will seek to end this barbaric practice and promote the dignity that every human life has worth.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2023, 03:43:05 AM »

Well i guess if we prefer to traumatize train conductors for life more that we indeed should pass this. Looking forward to Atlasia having the highest suicidal rates globally.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2023, 03:56:34 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 04:00:00 AM by Laki 🇧🇪❤️🇺🇦 »

I also hope you realize that you impact two groups of people here:

1. You impact people who suffer from a tremendous amount of pain: both mentally and physically. And if you introduce this kind of bill, i don't think you can even realize what kind of pain we are talking about. Even in countries that are legal, this is a last resort and only very rarely it would actually happen. The process of authorizing an euthanasia is quite a complex one, understandably and it takes time, a lot of time, before one can happen. Time in which someone may change opinion including the patient. But in some extreme cases, yes, euthanasia should be allowed. Unless you're the kind of person who likes torturing an animal and watching it suffer. Because this is what you do but with humans here. Consent by the patient must always be given, without it, it cannot be executed (unless part of an extreme medical procedure)

2. You impact caregivers here, people who devote and spend a lot of their time in actually trying to help people, listen to them, trying to bring/change them to changing their own will and these are the kind of people you would basically lock up for the remainder of lives. These people are not murderers, these people are heroes, for actually helping people, something we all don't do enough.

And for the pro-choice people, i also add this. You can imo not reasonably be pro-choice and be against this bill, because this is the definition of choice, the definition of your own choice, and we're talking about yourself, not an unborn baby that did not have a say yet.

I can and will not support this bill.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 08:06:38 PM »

We can look at places where euthanasia has failed people such as Canada, where instead of treating people who want and need help, they are being recommended to end their lives instead.

Euthanasia isn't as compassionate as Senator Laki is claiming it to be.
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 10:04:40 PM »

I agree with the Senator from Virginia's concerns. This bill will not outlaw DNR's or the refusal of treatment but to the senator's point, will prevent Atlasia from following the Canadian method of using euthanasia as a valid treatment for conditions such as depression and anxiety. It will also illegalize cases of euthanasia where the patient cannot give consent such as the case of Terry Schiavo.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 11:46:38 PM »

I agree with the Senator from Virginia's concerns. This bill will not outlaw DNR's or the refusal of treatment but to the senator's point, will prevent Atlasia from following the Canadian method of using euthanasia as a valid treatment for conditions such as depression and anxiety. It will also illegalize cases of euthanasia where the patient cannot give consent such as the case of Terry Schiavo.

I do live in a country where assisted euthanasia is legal, unlike some people here who clearly talk like they have no idea what euthanasia is.

With regards to Canada, i'm less familiar with it, but this bill does not tackle those issues, specific to Canada. It is generalized to a tough generalist ban towards - all forms - of euthanasia, which euthanasia in any form specifies. Don't generalize Canada's system to that of all countries.

That being said, this is existing legislation in Atlasia: a bill passed in 2019

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL
A bill to regulate and legalize euthanasia and voluntary death in Atlasia

Be it enacted in both Houses of Congress Assembled,
Legalize Voluntary Death Act

SECTION I: Definitions
1. Informed consent shall be defined as the free and conscious decision of a person in full use of his faculties after receiving the adequate information to receive an assisted death.
2. A chronical severe disability shall be defined as a situation that produces in a person a general inability to function independently, without healing possibilities and with a high probability of the situation persisting for the remainder of the person's natural life
3. A severe, uncurable and terminal disease shall be defined as a disease which originates physical and psychological suffering, without the possibility of tolerable relief and with a limited life prognosis.

SECTION II: Assisted death
1. Citizens and legal residents in Atlasia shall have the right to request and receive help for an assisted death when a number of requirements are met.
2. The decision to request help for a voluntary death shall require the informed consent of the patient.

SECTION III: Requirements to request an assisted death
1. In order to request an assisted death the following requirements shall be met by the patient:
a) Being a citizen or legal resident of Atlasia, above the age of 18
b) The patient must be examined and considered mentally sound by a certified psychiatrist
c) Having received information regarding the process and regarding the different alternatives and possibilities, including but not limited to palliative care
d) Formulating the petition for an assited death, which shall be repeated at least once more no less than 15 days after the original request, and which shall not be signed by the patient as a result of external pressure.
e) The patient shall be suffering from a severe, uncurable, and terminal disease or have a chronical severe disability, as established in Section I
2. Alternatively, patients which due to their medical situation are unable to give informed consent may be given an assisted death if they had previously specified as part of their last will that they wanted to receive said assisted death when they found themselves suffering from a situation where they would be unable to become conscious and able to give informed consent again.

SECTION IV: Rights and duties of doctors regarding an assisted death
1. Doctors shall discuss with the patient his diagnosis, therapeutical possibilities, expected results and paliative care possibilities
2. Doctors shall verify that the request is done voluntarily, without external pressures and is expressed clearly.
3. Doctors shall verify that the patient fulfills all the requirements described in section III
4. Doctors shall administer the assisted death with the maximum care and professionality possible
5. Doctors shall have the right to excersise a voluntary refusal to an assisted death procedure through a conscientious objection procedure.

SECTION V: Payment and other economical effects
1. Assisted death shall be included as part of the coverages of Atlascare. Part II, Section II of the Reforming and Regionalizing Public Healthcare Act of 2017 shall be amended accordingly
2. Assisted death shall be regarded as a natural death for all intents and purposes, including those related to life insurance

SECTION VI: Enactment
1. This bill shall become enacted inmediately after being signed by the president or after his veto is overriden as specified by the Atlasian Constitution

People's Regional Senate
Passed 4-1-0 in the Atlasian Senate Assembled,

The bill clearly states that it requires consent

2. Doctors shall verify that the request is done voluntarily, without external pressures and is expressed clearly.
3. Doctors shall verify that the patient fulfills all the requirements described in section III

What you say simply does not apply to Atlasia. I actually commend the original bill makers because this is very good legislation.

I wish we had a senate today, that would focus on getting things done, not starting culture wars or turning back legislation decades into the past.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2023, 01:13:26 AM »

I do live in a country where assisted euthanasia is legal, unlike some people here who clearly talk like they have no idea what euthanasia is.

With regards to Canada, i'm less familiar with it, but this bill does not tackle those issues, specific to Canada. It is generalized to a tough generalist ban towards - all forms - of euthanasia, which euthanasia in any form specifies. Don't generalize Canada's system to that of all countries.

Your country also unnecessarily kills people who are perfectly healthy:

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/23-year-old-physically-healthy-woman-euthanised-in-belgium-heres-what-happened/articleshow/94742914.cms
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2023, 01:16:22 AM »

https://m.economictimes.com/news/international/us/23-year-old-physically-healthy-woman-euthanised-in-belgium-heres-what-happened/articleshow/94742914.cms

And most people within that country approve of that, including me.

There's nothing controversial here. It was her will, her choice.

And all you have to do is respect that decision.

In court, a jury of people (12 people like us) did ultimately decide that her death counts as an additional murder as a consequence of the terrorist attacks in Brussels.

She was a victim of terrorism, and the fact that you suggest something else is incredibly distasteful.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2023, 01:32:46 AM »

And maybe next time when you report something from my country, use a source from my country, not the Indian Times. Thank you.

Euthanasia for Brussels attack victim

Terror attack victims “satisfied with verdict”, praise for jurors

Jury verdict on Brussels terror attacks hailed 'a lesson in justice'
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2023, 05:47:17 AM »

In court, a jury of people (12 people like us) did ultimately decide that her death counts as an additional murder as a consequence of the terrorist attacks in Brussels.

She was a victim of terrorism, and the fact that you suggest something else is incredibly distasteful.

Helping someone with PTSD kill themselves isn't compassion, and supporting that makes you a terrible human being.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2023, 05:49:40 AM »

At least Laki just proved my argument correct.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2023, 07:57:19 AM »

Helping someone with PTSD kill themselves isn't compassion, and supporting that makes you a terrible human being.
The jury in court disagrees with you. And you're using a victim of terrorism to push your social conservative agenda through. Distasteful and disrespectful. Suddenly, the right doesn't care about terrorism anymore? Maybe she was weak and deserved to be the victim? It's what you insinuate.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2023, 08:10:00 AM »

The jury in court disagrees with you. And you're using a victim of terrorism to push your social conservative agenda through. Distasteful and disrespectful. Suddenly, the right doesn't care about terrorism anymore? Maybe she was weak and deserved to be the victim? It's what you insinuate.

Being a victim of terrorism isn't something we should be helping someone kill themselves over. They should be getting real help to cope with their situation and learn to find meaning in life again. We shouldn't be taking someone who has clearly experienced a traumatic event but is otherwise healthy and telling them "it's okay, we will help you kill yourself." It literally proves my point that euthanasia is so easily abused to cause real harm to healthy people.

Just because your country has no respectable values doesn't mean we should be like them.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2023, 08:14:45 AM »

They should be getting real help to cope with their situation and learn to find meaning in life again.
The fact that you think this hasn''t been done or attempted clearly show that you have no understanding of mental illness.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2023, 08:18:07 AM »

They should be getting real help to cope with their situation and learn to find meaning in life again.
The fact that you think this hasn''t been done or attempted clearly show that you have no understanding of mental illness.

There is no justifiable reason to help someone struggling with mental illness kill themselves.

The more you defend this, the worse you make yourself look.
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »

Asking UC to table
fhtagn