Mass shooting in Rotterdam, NL - 3 killed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:39:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mass shooting in Rotterdam, NL - 3 killed
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mass shooting in Rotterdam, NL - 3 killed  (Read 368 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 29, 2023, 06:31:40 AM »

I am not posting this to bash the Netherlands for this occurring. On the contrary, it makes the US look far worse, since there were probably three or four equivalent events here the same day. The Netherlands is going to strengthen their gun control laws because of this shooting (probably the first one in at least a decade) whereas the US will just shrug its shoulders and let the problem spiral. I'm done with the US.

https://apnews.com/article/netherlands-shooting-rotterdam-hospital-581641b1e418653bd194842951fecbb6
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 07:14:24 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2023, 01:11:55 PM by DavidB. »

I am not posting this to bash the Netherlands for this occurring. On the contrary, it makes the US look far worse, since there were probably three or four equivalent events here the same day. The Netherlands is going to strengthen their gun control laws because of this shooting (probably the first one in at least a decade) whereas the US will just shrug its shoulders and let the problem spiral. I'm done with the US.

Americans not relating each and every event in the world primarily to their own country challenge: physically impossible.

Now the Dutch perspective: the perpetrator is named Fouad L., which makes the right blame Muslims, but also an FVD member and habitual 4chan poster (who did a lot of self-doxxing) using plenty of racist and antisemitic terms, which makes the left blame the right. The reality is a little more complex. He was a medicine student at Erasmus University Rotterdam and clearly very much of a loner - he himself admits to being an alcoholic. In one of his psychotic episodes, he abused his pet rabbits in his backyard. His neighbor saw it and called the police, which led to a criminal conviction for animal abuse (hence my doubts about the legality of his gun ownership; gun laws are very strict, you definitely don't get clearance with a criminal conviction). Then, the public prosecutor wrote a letter to Erasmus University, calling on them to take into account this conviction in their decision to award Fouad his M.D. diploma. Ultimately Fouad L. had finished all courses, but was refused the diploma multiple times as his specific criminal conviction indicated profound concerns regarding his functioning as a medical professional. Out of rage, Fouad L. killed the neighbor - the one that warned the police - and her 14-year old daughter, as well as someone at Erasmus University - it seems this person was also deliberately targeted. All very horrifying. Undoubtedly, an investigation will provide insight into the question whether any of the institutions involved made any mistakes in this case and how Fouad L. acquired the gun.

Whether gun control laws are being tightened remains to be seen and probably depends on the outcome of an investigation, but they are already among Europe's strictest. In any case, the government is demissionary and will not make any new legislation. The new government will probably make a call about this after the November 22 general election.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 07:44:00 AM »

Pretty grim business all round, thanks for the details.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 08:52:54 AM »

The new government will probably make a call about this after the November 22 general election.

Which means the largest impact may be adjusting the tone and policy focus of said contest.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 12:36:39 PM »

Western Australia is strengthening it's gun laws, and we don't even have mass shootings.

https://www.9news.com.au/videos/national/new-gun-laws-to-be-unveiled-in-wa/cln1lfp1m005o0js31fwd5rru
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 12:43:04 PM »

The new government will probably make a call about this after the November 22 general election.
Which means the largest impact may be adjusting the tone and policy focus of said contest.
I don't expect this. Unlike in the U.S. this is an incident here, there's no pattern. I don't think most people will look at this incident from a political perspective.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2023, 02:48:01 PM »

I'm jealous of those who live in a country with a functioning government. Of course, I've already stated here that even if gun control were passed in the US, it wouldn't work.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 06:17:13 AM »

Americans not relating each and every event in the world primarily to their own country challenge: physically impossible.

Now the Dutch perspective: the perpetrator is named Fouad L., which makes the right blame Muslims, but also an FVD member and habitual 4chan poster (who did a lot of self-doxxing) using plenty of racist and antisemitic terms, which makes the left blame the right. The reality is a little more complex. He was a medicine student at Erasmus University Rotterdam and clearly very much of a loner - he himself admits to being an alcoholic. In one of his psychotic episodes, he abused his pet rabbits in his backyard. His neighbor saw it and called the police, which led to a criminal conviction for animal abuse (hence my doubts about the legality of his gun ownership; gun laws are very strict, you definitely don't get clearance with a criminal conviction). Then, the public prosecutor wrote a letter to Erasmus University, calling on them to take into account this conviction in their decision to award Fouad his M.D. diploma. Ultimately Fouad L. had finished all courses, but was refused the diploma multiple times as his specific criminal conviction indicated profound concerns regarding his functioning as a medical professional. Out of rage, Fouad L. killed the neighbor - the one that warned the police - and her 14-year old daughter, as well as someone at Erasmus University - it seems this person was also deliberately targeted. All very horrifying. Undoubtedly, an investigation will provide insight into the question whether any of the institutions involved made any mistakes in this case and how Fouad L. acquired the gun.

Whether gun control laws are being tightened remains to be seen and probably depends on the outcome of an investigation, but they are already among Europe's strictest. In any case, the government is demissionary and will not make any new legislation. The new government will probably make a call about this after the November 22 general election.
So, a radical Ex-Muslim who embraced the Far Right?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies