Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:10:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Annual Government Shutdown Megathread (Cycle ends with Momentary Shutdown)  (Read 4158 times)
oldtimer
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2023, 02:01:13 PM »

HR 5860 looks likely to pass. How long do we think it takes for Gaetz to file a motion to vacate?

Probably the moment after Ukrainian money gets passed in a similar fashion to this. Makes things even clearer for his allies. Maybe we should preemptively create the thread.

Reminder that multiple Dems from multiple places in the party have said McCarthy is not getting bailed out on a motion to vacate. Jeffries has said they would whip against him. So unless McCarthy gives some serious concessions, he's done.
Is now really the right time to do this? Dems probably should consider bailing him out honestly…

There is no reason for them to bail him.

Jeffries might even have the votes to be elected Speaker, and anyway a Speaker Pro-tempore in the final year when no important bills would pass anyway is no big issue.
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2023, 02:11:24 PM »

As in the previous shutdowns I've lived through, my little corner of DoD is--and will always be-- "excepted".  No disruptions, no furloughs, and still getting paid.  For the GS's, at least.

My team (different department) is mostly exempt, I believe. We have enough separate funding to keep most of our people on half-time, with field crews close to full time.

“Exempt” and “excepted” are really bad terms to use in the same context. Lots of confusion and I’m still not sure how to fill out my time card on Monday.

Time card?  In the Federal government?  Wow.

The email from the Chief on Friday--deja vu from 2012, 2018, 2019 etc...,--said we are fully funded for 30 days in the event of a shutdown and that "97%" of us will see business as usual. 

I have no clue who those 3% are.  Maybe the 2 folks who work at our mailroom at the Pentagon or something.  

Not an actual punch card like the 50s haha. Just our general time keeping website.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2023, 02:14:21 PM »

I also had online time cards to fill out when I worked for a federal government entity, though Berkeley Lab has a weird governance structure and I'm still not entirely clear whether it is first and foremost an institution of the federal government, the state of California, or UC Berkeley.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2023, 02:15:35 PM »

I'd been hoping to visit the Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville battlefields tomorrow. Fingers crossed they pull this through!
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2023, 02:16:08 PM »

Also Gaetz appeared to think quite literally now was time to vacate the chair.  Before Bice gaveled the chamber to adjourn, Gaetz tried to catch his attention for something. It did not work.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2023, 02:35:19 PM »

House sends bipartisan bill to avert government shutdown to the Senate hours ahead of deadline

The House has passed a bipartisan bill to avert a government shutdown just hours ahead of a midnight deadline, setting up a Senate vote over funding the US federal government for another 45 days.

House Speaker Kevin McCarthy announced the proposal Saturday morning, following weeks of in-fighting between House Republicans.

The bill, which includes the natural disaster aid that the White House requested, must now be approved by the Senate before the end of the day Saturday, in order to prevent a lapse in funding.

The bill does not include $6 billion in funding to aid Ukraine, a key concession that many House Republicans demanded and a blow to allies of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who lobbied Congress earlier this month for additional assistance.

Asked if he is concerned that a member, including Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida, could move to oust him over this bill, McCarthy replied, “If I have to risk my job for standing up for the American public, I will do that.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/30/politics/us-government-shutdown-latest/index.html
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2023, 02:46:06 PM »

Also Gaetz appeared to think quite literally now was time to vacate the chair.  Before Bice gaveled the chamber to adjourn, Gaetz tried to catch his attention for something. It did not work.
October 2 it is, then!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2023, 02:54:49 PM »

Hate to bring bad news it's not gonna effect welfare or SSDi but by M the most, McConnell said based on no aid to Ukraine he will Filibuster the Spending bill

As I said Congress would have to pay retro pay if there is no agreements on spending
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

Is Gaetz really going to do it though? The CR was supposedly his red line, but he's caved before.

In the event that he does file the motion though, I don't see how McCarthy's position is tenable. He would need Democratic votes to hit 218 at this point. Democrats aren't going to prop McCarthy up without massive concessions, and a deal to get Democratic votes for McCarthy would be an act of desperation that would lose him more support than he gains.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2023, 03:00:45 PM »

Is no Ukraine aid really that big of an issue?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2023, 03:01:58 PM »

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2023, 03:03:01 PM »

Hate to bring bad news it's not gonna effect welfare or SSDi but by M the most, McConnell said based on no aid to Ukraine he will Filibuster the Spending bill

As I said Congress would have to pay retro pay if there is no agreements on spending

McConnell is filibustering the Senate version. The House CR just passed could still get a vote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2023, 03:07:46 PM »

Lol Aid to Ukrainians is not causing our deficit it's the Aid to Iraq and Afghanistan 8 T and rich people taxes hasn't been raised yet and they get money from oil like in Arabia and Russia

Deficit of 33 T is based on past spending just like obesity isn't based on current eating it's based on past thats why you have to fast and it won't kill you unless you don't drink liquids
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2023, 03:11:51 PM »

Well they only need two more at this point. Who’s playing hooky?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2023, 03:12:17 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2023, 04:10:10 PM by Dr Oz Lost Party! »

McCarthy has got to be one of the weakest House Speakers in history.

It's actually hilarious how the only Republican Speaker in the past 100+ years who wasn’t completely inept at the job is in prison for child molestation right now.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #90 on: September 30, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »

I mean, Feinstein is deceased
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2023, 04:04:33 PM »

I mean, Feinstein is deceased

Exactly, so there’s only two that weren’t there if it was a 49-48 vote.

Edit: Just realized it could be 3 if Kamala is breaking a tie.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #92 on: September 30, 2023, 04:18:02 PM »

Apparently Mike Quigley thinks so. I don't think I've ever seen that guy buck the party line before.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: September 30, 2023, 05:52:40 PM »

I've spent the last year mocking Republicans for having done absolutely zero with their control of the House.

Unfortunately now it looks like I can't say that anymore because they do have one accomplishment -- eliminating funding for Ukraine to satisfy the foreign government (Russia) that financially and militarily supports their party.

Congrats to the blue avatars, especially the ones who support Ukraine and are in complete and utter denial about what their party has become.  You guys just can't stop winning.  Keep on voting R and telling yourselves you're making the world a better place.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #94 on: September 30, 2023, 06:36:25 PM »

No Ukraine funding is a hard no from me. I hope the Senate rejects the bill until it's added back.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #95 on: September 30, 2023, 06:37:33 PM »

No Ukraine funding is a hard no from me. I hope the Senate rejects the bill until it's added back.

Funding can always be restored separately.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #96 on: September 30, 2023, 07:13:00 PM »

A Republican speaker working with Democrats to avoid the crazies in his own party? In 2023?Huh
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2023, 07:15:19 PM »

A Republican speaker working with Democrats to avoid the crazies in his own party? In 2023?Huh

Clever of the writers to put in a twist reminiscent of a much earlier season.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2023, 07:26:41 PM »

Funding can always be restored separately.

That's good.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: September 30, 2023, 07:31:17 PM »

We will stop seeing these ridiculous polls trying to push down Biden Approvals that Redban loves for the next 45 days and we can concentrate on winning VA state Legislature

Every time there is a shutdown ABC released a +6 Number for Trump they did it again and did it during Debt Ceiling, everyone knows if someone wins by 6 in 4 unemployment it's Biden not J6 Trump and he wants to free insurrection, and I get put in jail he won't pardon me
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies