Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:27:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.  (Read 5811 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »

Anyway, this gets more ridiculous by the week as the calendar gets later and later.

People know that Oct 16th is Nevada's filing deadline, right? The first in the nation? Why are people still speculating about candidates jumping in at this absurdly late date when he's not even taking the steps he'll need to do to even be capable of running and getting on the ballot?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2023, 01:44:25 PM »

Anyway, this gets more ridiculous by the week as the calendar gets later and later.

People know that Oct 16th is Nevada's filing deadline, right? The first in the nation? Why are people still speculating about candidates jumping in at this absurdly late date when he's not even taking the steps he'll need to do to even be capable of running and getting on the ballot?

You realize if Biden announces his retirement the media will totally ignore the early states right? No, the media will not declare RFK Jr. or Marianne Williamson the front runner under any circumstances.

Newsom can easily win enough delegates in the event Biden steps aside. More importantly, the Democratic Primary is taking place in people’s hearts and he’s winning.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2023, 01:47:16 PM »

I know GOPers want to make it happen to embarrass Biden and play the "slick, liberal coastal elitist" card against Newsom, but it's not happening.

The president is a product. Ten years ago I would've definitely said Newsom was too slimy to become president, but he's become a seasoned media player. He was downright chummy with Hannity last night -- this is a guy who knows how to work the media. He's an upper class California man with charisma -- this is natural to him. Biden doesn't even rate in this regard, certainly not at his age.

When Democrats are complaining about the media they're losing. Obama understood this. Newsom lets liberals go back on offense.
It's true that Newsom, unlike Biden, recognizes the importance of going on the attack against right-wing narratives, but that's also the bare minimum for being a better candidate in a vacuum than Biden. I haven't seen a compelling reason why Whitmer, who has the same amount of experience as governor, a better record in said office, and an objectively stronger electoral record, wouldn't be preferable from a Democratic perspective.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2023, 02:26:15 PM »

You realize if Biden announces his retirement the media will totally ignore the early states right? No, the media will not declare RFK Jr. or Marianne Williamson the front runner under any circumstances.

Newsom can easily win enough delegates in the event Biden steps aside. More importantly, the Democratic Primary is taking place in people’s hearts and he’s winning.

So you're saying he can only win if Biden steps aside, something that has about a 0% chance of happening?

If Gavin Newsom wants the nomination and thinks he can win he should run for it. Given that he's not doing so, the expectation becomes clear that he sees his best path to becoming president as running in 2028.

Joe Biden is not going to "drop out" of the race. If you think Newsom 2024 is going to happen you should be talking about how you think he can beat Joe Biden in the primary, and "not running" isn't going to do the trick there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2023, 04:01:52 PM »

Good:
Gay marriage

Bad:
Corrupt CPUC where the whistleblower was fired

Too close to PG&E, which caused many deaths and seems to raise rates 10% like twice a year. They just announced they're raising rates again.

Made incredibly stupid comment about how most homeless in SF were from Texas. The correct statement was probably that a plurality of those from out of state are from Texas, which is a pretty boring stat.

Broke lockdown rules to meet with anti single payer lobbyist at a restaurant

Made the really unusual move of delaying taking the Lt Governor office for a week to make sure that his replacement as mayor was definitely not a progressive
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2023, 06:10:24 PM »

So you're saying he can only win if Biden steps aside, something that has about a 0% chance of happening?

Bro, it's not a 0% chance. No it isn't. The actuarial tables don't support this.

Leaving that aside, don't act like it's impossible for an 80 year old, who's a lifelong Democratic Party team player (and has much less of an ego at this point) to step aside in favor of new blood. It could happen. Barack Obama will have to arrange a few meetings but it could happen. Yes it could.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2023, 06:25:03 PM »

Bro, it's not a 0% chance. No it isn't. The actuarial tables don't support this.

Leaving that aside, don't act like it's impossible for an 80 year old, who's a lifelong Democratic Party team player (and has much less of an ego at this point) to step aside in favor of new blood. It could happen. Barack Obama will have to arrange a few meetings but it could happen. Yes it could.
Everything I've read about the decision process suggests that Biden absolutely does have an ego, and accordingly believes he is the only person who can defeat Trump. If he's not running it will be entirely for health reasons.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2023, 06:28:30 PM »

On one hand, you make good points (though I think he is thinking about 2028, not 2024). On the other hand, that constitutional amendment he's pushing to gut the 2A, and the bill he just signed doubling taxes on guns and ammo, points strongly in the other direction. Things like that and his push to ban gas cars will hurt him in a general election, particularly in the Midwest and Rust Belt.

Maybe he is trying to triangulate for a future run. This would not surprise me because he has been running for President for 20 years, as everyone from California knows. Regardless, I stand by my oft-repeated claim that he will never win a national election, whether in the primary or the general.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2023, 06:37:56 PM »

This has to be satire. Newsom would not be able to overcome the factors dragging down Biden, many of which are not based on him personally but the national economy+other factors, while at the same time he is far less appealing to middle America. College ed suburban voters are the least of the democrats problems and are going to vote against Trump in larger margins regardless of the nominee. And he can veto whatever he wants but he has done enough things in the past that are toxic to swing voters that it wouldn’t be enough. Frankly, if Biden was considering not running, the prospect of Newsom being a candidate would change his mind.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2023, 07:35:06 PM »

For various reasons, I think Newsom will win landslide numbers with suburban women.

He will do well with women because he’s handsome.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2023, 07:53:50 PM »

I just don't get this. If you've ever read anything written about Joe Biden over the last 40(!) years, it's that the entire purpose of his entire life has been to become President. He's never ever ever going to give this up of his own free will. Ever.

You're left with "Biden dying within the next two months" as your other alternative. Any later and it'll be literally too late for anything other than Harris runs on Biden's ballot line in the primary and takes his delegates.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2023, 09:17:05 PM »

Leftists don't wanna admit this, but he'd be a formidable candidate. I'd say he'd be favored in a general election against most candidates, he's sleazy but smart.

Yeah I’ve been pretty impressed by his performances lately. I’d rather him be the nominee than Biden but I fear if Biden steps aside the nomination could go to Harris.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2023, 09:33:25 PM »

A bit of a tangent, but I have a very hard time believing that Republicans actually think Biden is vulnerable considering how often they seem to be trying to will a new Democratic nominee into existence.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2023, 07:17:00 AM »

*hits bong* what if the sky turned green and the grass turned blue and rain fell out of the ground into the sky?

Sometimes I think I'm too bullish on Biden's odds but watching this next level delusional wish casting from his critics makes him feel a lot more formidable, lmao
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2023, 11:18:32 AM »

Biden - both sundowning old racists with a weak grasp on reality and an inability to speak coherently. Not sure what the rationale could be for anyone else.

#TeamGavin
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2023, 11:36:22 AM »

Biden - both sundowning old racists with a weak grasp on reality and an inability to speak coherently. Not sure what the rationale could be for anyone else.

#TeamGavin
You're really going to be the guy who can't imagine someone would change their opinions over the course of a few years? You of all people? I knew you were extremely dumb but damn
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2023, 11:44:31 AM »
« Edited: September 29, 2023, 11:47:36 AM by heatcharger »

#TeamGavin
You're really going to be the guy who can't imagine someone would change their opinions over the course of a few years? You of all people? I knew you were extremely dumb but damn

Your post exemplifies why Biden is so weak. All his biggest hacks now are people who didn’t want him or outright thought he was a racist sundowning idiot 4 years ago.

You’ll line up right behind Gavin when the time comes. Beautiful to watch.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2023, 11:51:32 AM »

I am going to be relentlessly bumping this thread over the next few months to make fun of you as this proves increasingly ridiculous. You know that, right?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2023, 11:51:54 AM »

Gavin Newsom will not be the Democratic nominee in 2028 and certainly not in 2024. See you guys in five years.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2023, 12:03:03 PM »

I am going to be relentlessly bumping this thread over the next few months to make fun of you as this proves increasingly ridiculous. You know that, right?

Sounds good. You've got a long way to go with the old guy though.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2023, 12:19:09 PM »

What's the Democratic equivalent of Gavin Newsom? In the sense that Newsom is someone who conservatives are obsessed with becoming the nominee in the future but who Democrats don't care about, or at least care significantly less about.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2023, 12:44:42 PM »

What's the Democratic equivalent of Gavin Newsom? In the sense that Newsom is someone who conservatives are obsessed with becoming the nominee in the future but who Democrats don't care about, or at least care significantly less about.

Newsom picked Greg Abbott and Ron DeSantis as his rivals and the latter is a better fit than the former. The difference is that Ron! actually tried to run and ran into the problems Newsom would if he ran.

I think Republicans see Newsom as DeSantis but Dem and it's one of the reasons they overvalue his stock.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2023, 04:09:56 PM »

Newsom is not running in 2024 and I don't know why Republican hacks on Twitter are so convinced otherwise.

Well these are some of the same people who think Kamala Harris is the "real" President--because she's so obviously super-influential within the Biden administrations by all accounts, much like Dick Cheney was in Bush 43's administration.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2023, 04:32:33 PM »

#TeamGavin

Your post exemplifies why Biden is so weak. All his biggest hacks now are people who didn’t want him or outright thought he was a racist sundowning idiot 4 years ago.

You’ll line up right behind Gavin when the time comes. Beautiful to watch.

All his biggest hacks now are people who care about his record. We got rid of the driven  leaves with no convictions and no grasp on reality. Beautiful to watch.
Sumner 1868
Maps are a good thing
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2023, 06:19:29 PM »

This sounds a lot like as "DeSantis will beat Trump because of lukewarm midterms!" from last November. Your getting a rematch "whether you like it or not" as Gavin himself once said.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies