Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:35:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8
Author Topic: Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.  (Read 5813 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2023, 04:21:48 PM »
« edited: December 02, 2023, 04:25:32 PM by Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin »

I would not trust either of these men to hold my phone, let alone with public office. The idea that anyone with a functioning brain cell would is incomprehensible.

You're right. We should trust the 81 year old man who can barely string a sentence together or the deranged fascist.

Give me Newsom any day. I don't even understand the argument that Biden would do better when he is transparently unpopular in the Midwest/rust belt, which he barely won back in the first place. He certainly did far worse than a black guy named Barack HUSSEIN Obama from Chicago who speaks like the elite college professor he literally was. On paper it made no sense that Obama would do that well in these places, yet he did. Likewise, on paper it makes no sense that a billionaire celebrity from NYC who literally s--ts on a golden toilet would be the first Republican in decades to win these states, yet he did. Just because "Scranton Joe" seems like a better fit on paper, and may have been in practice three decades ago, doesn't mean anything. What really sells in the swing states, ALL the swing states, is charisma. And Newsom has it in spades. Maybe the most natural politician I've seen since Slick Willie who, of course, also dominated the swing states.

Good old fashioned political skill and charisma still counts for a whole hell of a lot, people drastically underestimate it here for some reason. (To be brutally honest, I'm gonna guess because most people here are nerds who don't have that kind of charisma or fully understand it.) All I know is that if Biden looked and talked like Newsom, this election wouldn't be close. People here just can't see through an average voter's eyes or talk to them apparently, because they'll readily tell you they think Biden looks and talks like a walking corpse. It would be impossible to say the same about Newsom, and that drastically outweighs any negatives coming from California would have. Because in politics, image/optics is everything.

You're exaggerting about Biden's age. I'm concerned about his age as well, although not the way so many seem to be. Biden is not personally steering the ship of state - he's the captain (and he seems to be in better mental and physical shape than most people give him credit for). But it's a major strategic vulnerability. A health crisis at a key moment in the campaign, or in future governance could be disastrous. If the GOP takes the Senate, would they even allow  a new Vice-President, should Harris replace Biden?

But Newsom... setting aside how he'd do nationally (and I'm unconvinced that a winery-owning CA governor is going to have a lot of appeal, no matter how good he is at campaigning), I have zero interest in seeing a Newsom administration.

Christofasism is an existential threat to the United States. So is runaway finance capitalism. Biden isn't perfect, but he's done a lot to help keep the second from going even more out of control than it already is - arguably as much as anyone in his position, at this time, could possibly do.

Newsom is just a slicker, Democratic version of Donald Trump. He's inescably entwined with billionaire interests, and he clearly views the law and government as tools to abuse for his benefit. He's so lacking in wisdom he married Kimberly Guilfoyle. I could go on, but I think I've presented my point.

Newsom is a bridge too far (or a step too low). I will walk away and watch the country burn before I vote for him, against any concievable opponent. I will not vote for any candidate of a party that nominates him for national office. (And please don't say, "But the Supreme Court!" The Supreme Court is not a credible institution, and pretending it is only makes things worse. )
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #151 on: December 22, 2023, 07:23:07 PM »

States where it's too late to get on the Democratic primary ballot. Your boy Gavin better start running soon, Heatcharger. I think he's already locked out of a delegate majority!
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2023, 08:39:08 PM »

Agreed. He is mainly positioning for 2028, BUT he is also positioning himself to be the guy that steps in if Biden has a health scare or something else makes Biden withdraw over the next few months. It can't be ONLY about 2028 or he wouldn't be making all of these moves in 2023.

It absolutely can. See: Nixon going to the mat campaigning for Goldwater in 64 or Hillary Clinton for Kerry in 04. If you want to run but not THIS time building support with the current nominee is a really good play.

Tbf there's no reason to believe anything happens to Biden rn. But if it does, Newsom's posturing undeniably helps him win a suddenly-open primary for 2024. Of course, his primary target ought to be 2028, and I suspect that it is.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2023, 08:41:54 PM »

I've never understood his appeal or why he is considered the "candidate in waiting" if Biden steps aside. He is a very generic white guy from California who is very easy to write off as an out of touch coastal elite (especially with the French Laundry story)

Democrats have the most diverse bench of potential candidates they've ever had. There's no need to settle for a guy who looks like a President from a bad TV show.

There's more to politics than picking someone based on race or gender. That's 5th-grade level analysis. As someone on a political forum, you should have a higher intelligence viewpoint.

He's been governor of the biggest state in America for the past 5 years and he's shown willingness to get outside of his comfort zone and on GOP media. He's intelligent and held his own (even "beat") Hannity in a few discussions. I'm tired of cowards who refuse to ever leave their bubble/basement.

Competence is severely lacking in this white house. We don't have a leader. I have a lot of issues with Gavin Newsom and especially his state, but he may be a big improvement over Biden and I may be less inclined to vote R if he was the D candidate.

I suppose an issue here is whether you want a workhorse or a showhorse. Given that Newsom's been governor here for the past 5 years, he should have enough of a record to speak for without going on air, attacking DeSantis and assailing national Republicans.

Yes, he's good at intellectual debates and discussions, maybe. Perhaps he's helpful for providing at least temporary ideological balance on shows like Hannity. But the question is, when he's elected, is he actually capable of bringing down crime and inflation, securing the border, helping guide the economy in a positive direction, etc., etc. (mind you these are all the issues the GOP is slamming Biden on 24/7 - not entirely without reason).

My point is I at least am more interested in someone who, once elected, gets down in the weeds to achieve positive change for those that elected him, rather than someone who's ambitiously looking for their next promotion, without clearly indicating that they actually deserve it.

Say what you will for Biden - he's old now, his memory's slipping, he ABSOLUTELY should retire - but his tenure in the Senate (and as VP) was respectable and impressive. Newsom? Idk so much. There's a reason CA's population has stagnated after decades of growth, and while Newsom obviously isn't solely to blame for that, his complacent, virtue-signalling attitude is certainly part of, and representative of, the problem (tbh it's an issue with quite a few CA Democrats, who grow complacent in the knowledge that they'll never actually lose their seats and can do pretty much whatever sh**t they want). '

There's a reason he underperformed quite a bit in his reelection campaign last year. If his underperformance nationwide is anywhere near as bad as it was in his last campaign, he's more finished than Biden.

This is why I suggested that Biden should challenge each of the serious Republican candidates to a 1-on-1 debate before the primaries start.

No sitting prez would ever do such a laughable thing. He has much more important business on his plate than debating a bunch of GOP officerseekers that will never win their party's nomination.

Ngl, this statement ought to apply to CA's governor, as well. The fact that he's willing to go out to bat for something like a "Blue State v Red State" debate instead of doing his job and letting that speak for him is something I don't really appreciate.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2023, 08:49:18 PM »

I will walk away and watch the country burn before I vote for him, against any concievable opponent. I will not vote for any candidate of a party that nominates him for national office.

Thankfully, I don't suppose there are many voters with your incredibly obstinate and fixed mindset!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2023, 06:43:44 PM »

2024 is here. Getting nervous, heatcharger? Your prettyboy sure seems to not be running.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2023, 06:48:21 PM »

Even if some Democrats are privately concerned about Biden, they know it’s political suicide to try and run against him, and that they would have a far better chance in an open field in 2028. As many have said before, if you’re going to aim for the king, you’d better not miss.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #157 on: January 07, 2024, 12:32:44 PM »

States its too late to get on the primary ballot are in red. Gotta be sweating bullets now, Heatcharger. Your prettyboy is pretty clearly not running.
TimeUnit2027
Rookie
British Indian Ocean Territory

« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2024, 01:33:55 PM »

Ok then draft him as No labels/Independent
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2024, 02:17:09 PM »

Ok then draft him as No labels/Independent

I’ll try.
Independents for Nihilism
Seef
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: 1.57

P
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2024, 08:22:47 PM »

States its too late to get on the primary ballot are in red. Gotta be sweating bullets now, Heatcharger. Your prettyboy is pretty clearly not running.

If life were a TV show I'd definitely have Biden die/be incapacitated right before the convention, freeing all the delegates and leading to an unprecedented kind of contestested convention. Not likely but they'd probably settle on Newsom in that situation over Kamala.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #161 on: February 08, 2024, 07:36:32 PM »

Interesting…
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #162 on: February 08, 2024, 07:52:02 PM »

Democrats have such a strong bench of candidates who are NOT Biden or Harris. Why would they nominate one of their worst possible options?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #163 on: February 08, 2024, 07:54:36 PM »

Thanks to him, PG&E has absurdly high bills.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2024, 07:55:37 PM »

I would take Newsom at this point. But if it's not Biden, it will be Harris. The Democratic establishment hates winning elections. I have no doubt Whitmer would win against Trump would win against Trump in the biggest landslide since Reagan. I have no doubt Newsom would win against Trump.

But it's not gonna happen. It'll be Biden. If it's not him it will be Harris.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2024, 12:57:23 AM »

I would take Newsom at this point. But if it's not Biden, it will be Harris. The Democratic establishment hates winning elections. I have no doubt Whitmer would win against Trump would win against Trump in the biggest landslide since Reagan. I have no doubt Newsom would win against Trump.

Eh I wouldn’t necessarily say this. We’ve seen it before; people who are thought to be great candidates end up being terrible once they’re on the national stage and vise-versa. You also often see it in the form of a congressperson running for Senate or smtg. Whitmer is very appealing for many reasons but I’m not convinced she’d do notably better than Biden in a national election.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2024, 07:40:33 AM »

Newsom in 2028, maybe. But not this year; no way.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2024, 06:34:24 PM »

Red is too late to get on the ballot. Hard to see how Heatcharger's boy Newsom can challenge Biden at this point. Almost all the primaries have already closed. Biden also has a ton of momentum from winning the first two primaries and it's hard to see how a challenge to him would go very well, and it's not like Newsom would have unique appeal in, like, Nebraska vs Biden.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2024, 06:40:08 PM »

I don’t have faith in Trump to beat Biden though.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2024, 10:58:41 PM »

The problem is that he hasn't shown blk people of a reason to dump Harris in favor of him, he has done zilch on the homeless crisis in CA . That's why Harris still the heavy fav to win the nomination in 28 along with Wes Moore
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2024, 01:49:18 PM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

BREAKING: Biden announces he's dropping out, citing age and need to defeat Trump
« on: April 1, 2024 1:09:25 pm »

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/biden-drops-out-2024.html

Congratulations to President Biden on leaving the arena. It looks like Gavin Newsom will announce his campaign shortly.

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

BREAKING: Biden announces he's dropping out, citing age and need to defeat Trump

Um, guys, why is anyone still talking about Gavin Newsom as a potential candidate? How will he possibly get enough delegates to win the nomination?? This isn't 1968 anymore! This is now obviously a race between Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson to face Donald Trump this November.

Just one month left...
Steve from Lambeth
Greece

« Reply #171 on: February 29, 2024, 02:01:14 PM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

Congratulations to President Biden on leaving the arena. It looks like Gavin Newsom will announce his campaign shortly.

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

Um, guys, why is anyone still talking about Gavin Newsom as a potential candidate? How will he possibly get enough delegates to win the nomination?? This isn't 1968 anymore! This is now obviously a race between Dean Phillips and Marianne Williamson to face Donald Trump this November.

Just one month left...
I love the implication that you just had a pre-written "no u" ready to go, just for heatcharger
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2024, 02:26:08 PM »

heatcharger
Atlas Icon
★★★★★

The Mikado
Moderators
★★★★★

Just one month left...

I chose April 1st for a reason… but the fact you thought this was a specific prediction is pretty funny on its own.

Let’s hope the adrenochrome keeps Joe young through the election!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:05 AM »

Now we're well past Heatcharger's predicted Biden dropout day of April 1st. The final filing deadline in the country of New Jersey has passed. Biden has over three quarters of the delegates and is on track to get over 98% of them by the time this is over and his campaign has 9 digits in the bank.

Heatcharger still thinks that the Biden-Harris campaign is going to unravel and that the tens of millions of dollars of donor money in the Biden-Harris campaign itself is going to have to sit unused as the hundreds of staffers on it are laid off so a new campaign can emerge and have to start over the fundraising and staffing from scratch so a guy who got zero votes can be the nominee. How does that make sense? Also he never factors in that the Biden campaign is choosing who the delegates are and the Biden campaign are interested in remaining employed. They're picking people who, if one half of Biden/Harris dies, will pick the other half so that the campaign can continue and they don't all get laid off.

Somehow in this whole thread heatcharger never responds to any of this and continues posting obnoxious "stay tuned" stuff as each prediction he's made is proven wrong one after another after another and continues to say this increasingly ridiculous nonsense that this race is going to be Trump/Newsom with no explanation of how that's happening or why the Biden/Harris campaign would pick delegates predisposed to Newsom over Harris when that means that the campaign staff all get fired and tens of millions of donor money has to be reraised.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2024, 10:43:57 AM »

Lmao
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length