Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:10:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Let’s talk about Gavin Newsom 2024.  (Read 5825 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 01, 2023, 10:10:00 AM »

This is why I suggested that Biden should challenge each of the serious Republican candidates to a 1-on-1 debate before the primaries start.

No sitting prez would ever do such a laughable thing. He has much more important business on his plate than debating a bunch of GOP officerseekers that will never win their party's nomination.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #126 on: December 01, 2023, 10:15:28 AM »

This is why I suggested that Biden should challenge each of the serious Republican candidates to a 1-on-1 debate before the primaries start.
What would be the point of debating Trump before the primaries?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2023, 10:19:15 AM »

Trump would most likely not even bother to show up. I actually expect him to decline participation in the debates the coming fall.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #128 on: December 01, 2023, 11:17:59 AM »

Trump wouldn't debate him, but Biden should challenge him in any case.  But the other challengers would likely accept, and this would give Biden a chance to prove he can effectively promote his record and isn't too old for a grueling campaign.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #129 on: December 01, 2023, 01:21:09 PM »

Unfortunately, my friend, this forum is allergic to outside the box thinking.

Biden is also significantly diminished as a speaker as most 81 year old men are. Democrats would've welcomed Obama randomly debate Newt Gingrich, Rick Perry or Michelle Bachmann because they knew he would've taken them to task. Democrats used to be confident in their nominees. Not so much right now.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #130 on: December 01, 2023, 01:21:24 PM »

With regards to Newsom:

Democrats are falling in love. Beautiful to watch.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #131 on: December 01, 2023, 01:27:22 PM »

Newsom's hair and smile make him look like a used car salesman. They need to do something about that to have him look presidential
Let's be quite honest: Ron DeSantis destroyed that hair geel oiled salesman Newsom yesterday Night.

Hillary Clintons former Pollster Mark Penn said quote "DeSantis had the best Night of his entire Campaign".

Wouldn't people have actually had to watch this sh-t in order for that to be true?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #132 on: December 01, 2023, 01:29:08 PM »

What was the point of this debate? You have one guy who has no shot at the nomination and one guy who isn't running.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2023, 05:27:20 PM »

This guy isn't human, right? It's like someone vaguely described to him how to look happy and relatable and he winged it.

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #134 on: December 01, 2023, 05:34:09 PM »

What was the point of this debate? You have one guy who has no shot at the nomination and one guy who isn't running.
The point was that there wasn't any. Newsom just wanted to prove how desperate DeSantis was that he would debate a Governor who wasn't even running for President instead of focusing on his own campaign. And DeSantis fell for the bait- hook, line, and sinker.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2023, 06:12:28 PM »

Initially the idea came about after Newsom appeared on Hannity's show and Hannity suggested that he debate Desantis because of their frequent criticism of each other's policies. Intially, Newsom accepted and Desantis declined saying he wouldn't debate Newsom unless he announced a primary challenge to Biden but then, when Desantis's poll number continued to collapse, Desantis changed his mind and accepted as he became desperate for attention or anything that could help his floundering campaign.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2023, 06:21:54 PM »

Nonpartisan commentators weighed in. People are noticing Newsom to be one of the smoothest politicians they’ve seen.

Newsom was cool, calm and collected. DeSantis looked like a panicked, nervous mess compared to him.

It was like watching Ronald Reagan debate Elizabeth Warren. Democrats have a star in the bullpen ready to go.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2023, 07:31:28 PM »

I would not trust either of these men to hold my phone, let alone with public office. The idea that anyone with a functioning brain cell would is incomprehensible.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2023, 02:08:41 AM »

Michigan is probably a better Democratic governance success story than California which is why I think Whitmer would be a better candidate than Newsom. People have all kinds of connotations about Cali (high taxes, cost of living, crime, liberal) that will fall back on Newsom and probably sink him in the Midwest in the end.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2023, 02:24:26 AM »

I feel like most well know Cali problems are more fault of the majors. Anyway, what has Newsom done to sustain his supposed presidential posibilities.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2023, 04:26:13 AM »

I would not trust either of these men to hold my phone, let alone with public office. The idea that anyone with a functioning brain cell would is incomprehensible.

You're right. We should trust the 81 year old man who can barely string a sentence together or the deranged fascist.

Give me Newsom any day. I don't even understand the argument that Biden would do better when he is transparently unpopular in the Midwest/rust belt, which he barely won back in the first place. He certainly did far worse than a black guy named Barack HUSSEIN Obama from Chicago who speaks like the elite college professor he literally was. On paper it made no sense that Obama would do that well in these places, yet he did. Likewise, on paper it makes no sense that a billionaire celebrity from NYC who literally s--ts on a golden toilet would be the first Republican in decades to win these states, yet he did. Just because "Scranton Joe" seems like a better fit on paper, and may have been in practice three decades ago, doesn't mean anything. What really sells in the swing states, ALL the swing states, is charisma. And Newsom has it in spades. Maybe the most natural politician I've seen since Slick Willie who, of course, also dominated the swing states.

Good old fashioned political skill and charisma still counts for a whole hell of a lot, people drastically underestimate it here for some reason. (To be brutally honest, I'm gonna guess because most people here are nerds who don't have that kind of charisma or fully understand it.) All I know is that if Biden looked and talked like Newsom, this election wouldn't be close. People here just can't see through an average voter's eyes or talk to them apparently, because they'll readily tell you they think Biden looks and talks like a walking corpse. It would be impossible to say the same about Newsom, and that drastically outweighs any negatives coming from California would have. Because in politics, image/optics is everything.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2023, 04:34:07 AM »

The other thing about Newsom: He actually goes into the Lion's Den. He appears on Fox regularly, he did this debate with DeSantis, he's even on Truth Social. He's not afraid to debate Republicans or speak directly to them and challenge their views. He just might even have the charisma to persuade some of them. We need more of this. Biden wouldn't so much as go on Bill Maher anymore let alone Fox. The only way out of our current partisan trap is if we have a president with crossover appeal, like Reagan with the "Reagan Democrats" or Clinton with the "Third Way" or even Trump himself with the Obama-Trump voters (Trump, by the way, in 2016 regularly went on places like MSNBC as well). The people need to feel like the president is speaking to and for all Americans. That doesn't mean they have to agree with him on everything, but they can't stand feeling ignored by the "elites." That's why Hillary's overly cautious, data-driven campaign designed mainly to appeal to well-off liberals while just taking the working class for granted backfired. People want authenticity, they want to feel like they're being spoken to and not down to. The best politicians have always understood this and I see Newsom as one in that tradition, despite being from California.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2023, 04:57:21 AM »

Newsom has a 49% disapproval rating in California now, which is similar to Biden's in the state. He campaigned well in his elections but this is a bad sign for how well he'd appeal as a presidential candidate.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2023, 11:15:50 AM »

The Point of this Debate was how badly damaged and crappy the State of California has become.

DeSantis is running the State of Florida on a 17 Billion $ Surpluss, paid almost down 20 % of the Depth of Florida since taking Office, didn't do anything of this climate sh**t policies Biden and Newsom did.

Make no mistake: If Biden does get re-elected he'll make or at least attempt to make the entire Country like California. California should secede from the Nation. They have no business belonging to the United States of America.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2023, 11:19:25 AM »

The Point of this Debate was how badly damaged and crappy the State of California has become.

DeSantis is running the State of Florida on a 17 Billion $ Surpluss, paid almost down 20 % of the Depth of Florida since taking Office, didn't do anything of this climate sh**t policies Biden and Newsom did.

Make no mistake: If Biden does get re-elected he'll make or at least attempt to make the entire Country like California. California should secede from the Nation. They have no business belonging to the United States of America.

And despite those 'facts', Ron! lost the debate, embarassing!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2023, 11:29:29 AM »

Admittedly watching some clips from that debate he comes across well on a debate stage. I kinda feel that he has a similar style to Biden if you just dialled up the coherence.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
Rookie
United States

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2023, 11:49:59 AM »

Biden was a pretty good debater... back in 2012. Ever such a long time ago.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2023, 12:13:47 PM »

Admittedly watching some clips from that debate he comes across well on a debate stage. I kinda feel that he has a similar style to Biden if you just dialled up the coherence.

A skeptic turned admirer. Charm works incredibly fast.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »

I'm commenting on a debate lol not casting a primary vote (not that I'm eligible).
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2023, 12:29:18 PM »

I'm commenting on a debate lol not casting a primary vote (not that I'm eligible).

Good.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies