SB 117-41: Constructing a new Capitol District - Passed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:12:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 117-41: Constructing a new Capitol District - Passed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: SB 117-41: Constructing a new Capitol District - Passed  (Read 1404 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 25, 2023, 06:18:14 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2023, 01:07:53 AM by PPT Dwarven Dragon »

Constructing a new Capitol District

Section 1: Establishment

1.1 Location and Naming:
a) The towns of Keokuk, Alexandria, Warsaw, and Hamilton with surrounding areas as indicated in the Addendum shall be acquired from their respective states and regions to form the new capital district. The capital district shall be no larger than one hundred square miles and shall be centered on the tri-point of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South.

1.2 Suburbs and Neighborhoods:
a) The suburbs surrounding the district shall be named after legendary presidents of the country, chosen through public debate and consensus.
b) The specific names for each suburb shall be determined by relevant authorities in consultation with the public.

Section 2: Administrative Changes

2.1 Census and Registration:
a) The designation of Nyman, D.C. in the census shall be changed to reflect the new capital's name.
b) Individuals registering in the district shall indicate if they want to have voting rights in Lincoln (treated as a citizen of Illinois), Fremont (treated as a citizen of Iowa), or the South (treated as a citizen of Missouri).
c) Individuals currently registered in Nyman, D.C., shall retain their current registration (in the Southern region and Upper South subregion).

2.2 Status of Nyman (current D.C.)
 a) The federal buildings in Nyman shall be converted into museums, preserving their historical significance and ensuring public access and appreciation.

Section 3: Functionality and Districts

3.1 Military District:
a) A dedicated military complex shall be established adjacent to the Capitol, to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

3.2 Housing District:
a) A designated residential area shall be created exclusively for government personnel, providing suitable housing options for officials and employees.

3.3 Intelligence District:
a) An area shall be designated for intelligence agencies and related institutions to promote collaboration, effective information sharing, and strategic intelligence operations.

3.4 Trading/Commerce District:
a) A central district shall be developed to accommodate commercial and trading activities, attracting businesses and fostering economic growth.

3.5 Transport District:
a) A comprehensive transport hub shall be established, featuring modern infrastructure for aviation, railway, and Mississippi River shipping facilities.
b) An airport shall be constructed on suitable land within the capital district, taking into account other transport links and proximity to residential areas.
c) Upgrades to roads and state and interstate highways proceeding from the capital district shall be considered during initial development in order to facilitate accessible travel.
d) The Keokuk-Hamilton Bridge shall be upgraded and construction of other cross-Mississippi bridges shall be considered in order to better integrate both halves of the capital district.

Section 4: Implementation and Funding

4.1 Naming of Districts:
a) The specific names for each district within the capital district shall be determined through public participation and consultation.
b) Relevant authorities shall facilitate the naming process, ensuring transparency and inclusivity.

4.2 Commencement of Activities:
a) The relevant authorities shall initiate the necessary actions to implement the provisions outlined in this Act, including the establishment of administrative bodies, infrastructure development, and public engagement.

4.3 Allocation of Funds:
a) An initial budget of $10 billion shall be made available for construction and development. This funding shall be allocated within two years from the enactment of this act.
b) The President, in collaboration with relevant government agencies, shall oversee the allocation and disbursement of these funds, ensuring transparency and accountability.
c) The President shall present a bill to the Senate authorizing such allocations within six months from the effective date of this legislation.

4.4 Prioritization of Construction:
a) Construction shall be carried out in a phased approach, with certain parts of the city prioritized to ensure efficient and timely development.
b) The following areas shall be designated as priority areas for construction:
i) The new White House: Construction of a new presidential building to serve as the official residence and workplace of the President of the Republic of Atlasia.
ii) Military District: Expedited development of the military complex adjacent to the Capitol to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

4.5 Implementation Schedule:
a) The President, in consultation with relevant authorities, shall establish an implementation schedule that outlines the timeline and milestones for construction.
b) The schedule shall include specific deadlines and benchmarks for the completion of priority areas, ensuring progress and accountability throughout the construction process.

4.6 Reporting and Oversight:
a) The President shall provide regular progress reports to the Senate and the public, detailing the utilization of funds, milestones achieved, and any challenges encountered during construction.
b) The Senate shall exercise oversight to ensure that the allocated funds are utilized efficiently and in accordance with the objectives of the act.

Section 5: Selection of a Name

a) Upon passage of this legislation, there will be a public thread to suggest names for the new Capital. Submissions will be open for a period of 14 calendar days. Following this, the Senate shall vote for a new name by STV among all submissions received, and the top five names will be forwarded to referendum.

b) A federally-administrated referendum will be held the weekend beginning November 17, 2023. Voters will vote among the five finalists by STV, and the winner shall be declared the name of the new Capital.

c) Where not otherwise stated, this legislation shall take effect upon the certification of this referendum.

Addendum:

Map

Sponsor: Laki
Occupying: Slot 2
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 06:41:26 PM »

I believe the need for a new capital is there. Moving our capital would boost the economy and industry of a forgotten part in Atlasia. Moving it to a more central location, bordering Fremont, Lincoln and the South would also mean the government can be more ready & quick to act should a problem come to surface. I think this location as the three way junction point of the regions would also symbolically matter, and Nyman is getting a bit too crowded, this allows us to design the capital the way we want. It's also next to a natural river, the iconic Mississippi, which I see as important, and would boost economy & industry for cities alongside that river, both downstream and upstream.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 07:01:10 PM »

I don't believe there is a need to move the capital.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 07:04:16 PM »

Let's have the debate and see what the people think and i'll accept what the majority wants.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 08:19:01 PM »

Nyman, District of Columbia is recognized as part of the South under the Fifth Constitution. Thus, there it is not correct to speak of an existing federal district, but simply federal buildings located in one of the twenty states of the Southern region.

I can see the value in establishing a separate federal district, so I offer the following amendments:

Section 1: Establishment of Spiral, D.C.

1.1 Location and Naming:
a) The towns of Keokuk, Warsaw, and Hamilton shall be acquired from their respective states and regions to form the new capital district of Spiral, D.C. The capital district shall be no larger than one hundred square miles and shall be centered on the tri-point of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South.
b) The name "Spiral" shall be officially designated as the name of the new capital, reflecting its innovative and forward-thinking nature.

a) The suburbs surrounding Spiral, D.C. shall be named after legendary presidents of the country, chosen through public debate and consensus.
b) The specific names for each suburb shall be determined by relevant authorities in consultation with the public.

a) The designation of D.C. in the census shall be changed from Nyman to Spiral, reflecting the new capital's name.
b) Individuals residing within the administrative boundaries of Spiral, D.C. shall be registered accordingly.
c) Individuals registering in Spiral, D.C. shall have the option to choose their neighboring state (Iowa, Missouri, or Illinois) for administrative registration purposes.

b) In order to not disenfranchise any voters, individuals registering in Spiral, D.C. shall be treated as residing in one of the three regions. Individuals registering in Spiral, D.C. shall indicate if they want to have voting rights in Lincoln (treated as a citizen of Illinois), Fremont (treated as a citizen of Iowa), or the South (treated as a citizen of Missouri).
c) Individuals currently registered in D.C., shall retain their current registration (in the Southern region and Upper South subregion).
d) The competent authorities shall establish processes and guidelines for the registration and selection of neighboring states within Spiral, D.C.

a) The status of Nyman shall be subject to further debate and discussion among relevant stakeholders, including the South and the President of the Republic of Atlasia.
b) The South shall be offered the opportunity to acquire Nyman. If the South accepts the offer, they may utilize the buildings for purposes aligned with their interests. This transfer shall require approval from the head of the South, the President, and the Senate.

c)If the South declines the offer, a) After the construction of replacement buildings in Spiral, D.C., the federal buildings in Nyman shall be converted into museums, preserving their historical significance and ensuring public access and appreciation.

2.3 Expedited Construction of Spiral, D.C.
a) Allocate a dedicated workforce, consisting of skilled laborers and construction experts, to expedite the development of Spiral, D.C. and its various districts.
b) Establish a timetable for construction milestones and completion of key infrastructure projects, aiming to complete the new capital within two years from the start of construction.
c) Prioritize the allocation of resources, including financial, material, and human resources, to ensure efficient and timely construction.
d) Regularly assess progress, address potential bottlenecks, and adapt strategies as needed to maintain the construction schedule.

3.1 Military District:
a) A dedicated military complex shall be established adjacent to the Capitol in Spiral, D.C., to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

3.2 Housing District:
a) A designated residential area within Spiral, D.C. shall be created exclusively for government personnel, providing suitable housing options for officials and employees.

a) An area shall be designated within Spiral, D.C. for intelligence agencies and related institutions to promote collaboration, effective information sharing, and strategic intelligence operations.

a) A central district within Spiral, D.C. shall be developed to accommodate commercial and trading activities, attracting businesses and fostering economic growth.

3.5 Transport District:
a) A comprehensive transport hub shall be established within Spiral, D.C., featuring modern infrastructure for aviation, railway, and Mississippi River shipping facilities.

4.1 Naming of Districts:
a) The specific names for each district within Spiral, D.C. shall be determined through public participation and consultation.
b) Relevant authorities shall facilitate the naming process, ensuring transparency and inclusivity.

a) The competent authorities shall initiate the necessary actions to implement the provisions outlined in this Act, including the establishment of administrative bodies, infrastructure development, and public engagement.

4.3 Allocation of Funds:
a) An initial budget of $10 billion shall be made available for the construction and development of Spiral, D.C. This funding shall be allocated within two years from the enactment of this act.
b) The President, in collaboration with relevant government agencies, shall oversee the allocation and disbursement of these funds, ensuring transparency and accountability.

a) The construction of Spiral, D.C. shall be carried out in a phased approach, with certain parts of the city prioritized to ensure efficient and timely development.
i) The new White House: Construction of a new presidential building to serve as the official residence and workplace of the President of the Republic of Atlasia.
ii) Military District: Expedited development of the military complex adjacent to the Capitol to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

a) The President, in consultation with relevant authorities, shall establish an implementation schedule that outlines the timeline and milestones for the construction of Spiral, D.C.
b) The schedule shall include specific deadlines and benchmarks for the completion of priority areas, ensuring progress and accountability throughout the construction process.

a) The President shall provide regular progress reports to the Senate and the public, detailing the utilization of funds, milestones achieved, and any challenges encountered during the construction of Spiral, D.C.
b) The Senate shall exercise oversight to ensure that the allocated funds are utilized efficiently and in accordance with the objectives of the act.

Addendum:

Map

If people are bothered by the naming, we can change that. It's a bill i drafted a while ago and am just introducing now
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 10:59:33 PM »

If people are bothered by the naming, we can change that. It's a bill i drafted a while ago and am just introducing now

lol

Senators Laki!
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 11:00:38 PM »

Anyway, for worldbuilding purposes this is… intriguing. Is the President supposed to write his own bill funding this or what?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 11:06:45 PM »

Funding issues, current residents of the area , and possible name (I'm not sure what would fit well for that though) aside I actually could get behind the idea, considering the South's attempt to secede earlier this year. Having the Capitol surrounded/located solely in one region as is the case now could place the government hostage to that region should they attempt to do such a thing in the future.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 11:55:15 PM »

Funding issues, current residents of the area , and possible name (I'm not sure what would fit well for that though) aside I actually could get behind the idea, considering the South's attempt to secede earlier this year. Having the Capitol surrounded/located solely in one region as is the case now could place the government hostage to that region should they attempt to do such a thing in the future.

Name can be changed if that is the issue.

lol

Senators Laki!

Not that you have really shown opposition to that.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2023, 12:47:29 PM »

Seeing no objection, the amendment is adopted.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2023, 11:39:51 PM »

lol

Senators Laki!

To what, the nepotism bill? This bill? Check my posts in either thread. TIL if someone doesn't register all their complaints immediately then they support every part of the bill.

I like this concept, Laki. I think this bill actually stands a good chance of being improved through constructive amendments. I will offer an amendment when i think of a better name than the frankly toadying one you're using here.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 03:24:17 AM »

lol

Senators Laki!

To what, the nepotism bill? This bill? Check my posts in either thread. TIL if someone doesn't register all their complaints immediately then they support every part of the bill.

I like this concept, Laki. I think this bill actually stands a good chance of being improved through constructive amendments. I will offer an amendment when i think of a better name than the frankly toadying one you're using here.

I'll be friendly to that amendment.

The name was a joke.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2023, 10:03:03 AM »

lol

Senators Laki!

Any update on this? Would it make sense to either just keep Nyman or perhaps leave the name to a subsequent referendum?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2023, 10:40:06 AM »

lol

Senators Laki!

Any update on this? Would it make sense to either just keep Nyman or perhaps leave the name to a subsequent referendum?

Nyman is for the old capital. Just leave it up for a subsequent referendum.

We can amend everything with "has to be named yet". And add a section with that a name shall be decided in a future referendum.

Would give people a reason to vote as well.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2023, 08:14:59 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2023, 11:58:14 PM by PPT Dwarven Dragon »

Amendment

Section 1: Establishment of Spiral, D.C.

1.1 Location and Naming:
a) The towns of Keokuk, Warsaw, and Hamilton shall be acquired from their respective states and regions to form the new capital districtof Spiral, D.C. The capital district shall be no larger than one hundred square miles and shall be centered on the tri-point of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South.
b) The name "Spiral" shall be officially designated as the name of the new capital, reflecting its innovative and forward-thinking nature.

a) The suburbs surrounding Spiral, D.C. the district shall be named after legendary presidents of the country, chosen through public debate and consensus.

a) The designation of D.C. in the census shall be changed from Nyman to Spiral, reflecting to reflect the new capital's name.
b) In order to not disenfranchise any voters, individuals registering in Spiral, D.C. shall be treated as residing in one of the three regions. Individuals registering in Spiral, D.C. the district shall indicate if they want to have voting rights in Lincoln (treated as a citizen of Illinois), Fremont (treated as a citizen of Iowa), or the South (treated as a citizen of Missouri).
c) Individuals currently registered in D.C., shall retain their current registration (in the Southern region and Upper South subregion).
d) The competent authorities shall establish processes and guidelines for the registration and selection of neighboring states within Spiral, D.C.

a) After the construction of replacement buildings in Spiral, D.C., tThe federal buildings in Nyman shall be converted into museums, preserving their historical significance and ensuring public access and appreciation.

2.3 Expedited Construction of the New Capital of Spiral, D.C.
a) Allocate a dedicated workforce, consisting of skilled laborers and construction experts, to expedite the development of Spiral, D.C. and its various districts.
b) Establish a timetable for construction milestones and completion of key infrastructure projects, aiming to complete the new capital within two years from the start of construction.
c) Prioritize the allocation of resources, including financial, material, and human resources, to ensure efficient and timely construction.
d) Regularly assess progress, address potential bottlenecks, and adapt strategies as needed to maintain the construction schedule.

3.1 Military District:
a) A dedicated military complex shall be established adjacent to the Capitol in Spiral, D.C., to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

3.2 Housing District:
a) A designated residential area within Spiral, D.C. shall be created exclusively for government personnel, providing suitable housing options for officials and employees.

a) An area shall be designated within Spiral, D.C. for intelligence agencies and related institutions to promote collaboration, effective information sharing, and strategic intelligence operations.

a) A central district within Spiral, D.C. shall be developed to accommodate commercial and trading activities, attracting businesses and fostering economic growth.

3.5 Transport District:
a) A comprehensive transport hub shall be established within Spiral, D.C., featuring modern infrastructure for aviation, railway, and Mississippi River shipping facilities.

4.1 Naming of Districts:
a) The specific names for each district within Spiral, D.C. shall be determined through public participation and consultation.

a) The competent authorities shall initiate the necessary actions to implement the provisions outlined in this Act, including the establishment of administrative bodies, infrastructure development, and public engagement.

4.3 Allocation of Funds:
a) An initial budget of $10 billion shall be made available for the construction and development of Spiral, D.C. This funding shall be allocated within two years from the enactment of this act.

a) The construction of Spiral, D.C. shall be carried out in a phased approach, with certain parts of the city prioritized to ensure efficient and timely development.

a) The President, in consultation with relevant authorities, shall establish an implementation schedule that outlines the timeline and milestones for the construction of Spiral, D.C.

a) The President shall provide regular progress reports to the Senate and the public, detailing the utilization of funds, milestones achieved, and any challenges encountered during the construction of Spiral, D.C.

a) Upon passage of this legislation, there will be a public thread to suggest names for the new Capital. Submissions will be open for a period of 14 calendar days. Following this, the Senate shall vote for a new name by STV among all submissions received, and the top five names will be forwarded to referendum.

b) A federally-administrated referendum will be held the weekend beginning November 17, 2023. Voters will vote among the five finalists by STV, and the winner shall be declared the name of the new Capital.

c) Where not otherwise stated, this legislation shall take effect upon the certification of this referendum.

Addendum:

Map

The date chosen is concurrent with the regularly scheduled Fremont regional elections. There is not enough time to get this on the October ballot. This timing will still get it done before Thanksgiving and Christmas when activity traditionally drops.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2023, 04:02:02 AM »

Friendly
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2023, 12:22:24 AM »

Amendment Adopted. Motion for a final vote.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 10:45:36 AM »

How fun
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2023, 11:45:29 PM »

Objection to the motion, still working on an amendment.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2023, 11:49:37 PM »

What will your amendment be covering? I already introduced and passed an amendment that resolved the issue of the name being an instance of nepotism.

I also note that the Senator previously noticed an intention to draft an amendment nearly two weeks ago. I have developed a reputation of giving people time on amendments if they indicate an intention to draft one, but at some point the body has to move along.

DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 07:25:26 AM »

I entered this debate as an opponent of a new capital. My fellow senators, however, have raised good points about the rebellious nature of certain regions and the potential dangers in having the federal capital potentially surrounded by a hostile government. I support this act.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 11:26:23 PM »

What will your amendment be covering?

I could tell you but I might as well write it all out, all this is courtesy of the Lokcord convo we had about this three years ago that I had to dig up from one of my old folders.

Section 1: Establishment

1.1 Location and Naming:
a) The towns of Keokuk, Alexandria, Warsaw, and Hamilton with surrounding areas as indicated in the Addendum shall be acquired from their respective states and regions to form the new capital district. The capital district shall be no larger than one hundred square miles and shall be centered on the tri-point of Lincoln, Fremont, and the South.

a) The suburbs surrounding the district shall be named after legendary presidents of the country, chosen through public debate and consensus.

a) The designation of Nyman, D.C. in the census shall be changed to reflect the new capital's name.
b) Individuals registering in the district shall indicate if they want to have voting rights in Lincoln (treated as a citizen of Illinois), Fremont (treated as a citizen of Iowa), or the South (treated as a citizen of Missouri).
c) Individuals currently registered in Nyman, D.C., shall retain their current registration (in the Southern region and Upper South subregion).

a) The federal buildings in Nyman shall be converted into museums, preserving their historical significance and ensuring public access and appreciation.

2.3 Expedited Construction of the New Capital
a) Allocate a dedicated workforce, consisting of skilled laborers and construction experts, to expedite development.

3.1 Military District:
a) A dedicated military complex shall be established adjacent to the Capitol, to facilitate military operations, exercises, and coordination.

3.2 Housing District:
a) A designated residential area shall be created exclusively for government personnel, providing suitable housing options for officials and employees.

a) An area shall be designated for intelligence agencies and related institutions to promote collaboration, effective information sharing, and strategic intelligence operations.

a) A central district shall be developed to accommodate commercial and trading activities, attracting businesses and fostering economic growth.

3.5 Transport District:
a) A comprehensive transport hub shall be established, featuring modern infrastructure for aviation, railway, and Mississippi River shipping facilities.
b) An airport shall be constructed on suitable land within the capital district, taking into account other transport links and proximity to residential areas.
c) Upgrades to roads and state and interstate highways proceeding from the capital district shall be considered during initial development in order to facilitate accessible travel.
d) The Keokuk-Hamilton Bridge shall be upgraded and construction of other cross-Mississippi bridges shall be considered in order to better integrate both halves of the capital district.

4.1 Naming of Districts:
a) The specific names for each district within the capital district shall be determined through public participation and consultation.

a) The competentrelevant authorities shall initiate the necessary actions to implement the provisions outlined in this Act, including the establishment of administrative bodies, infrastructure development, and public engagement.

4.3 Allocation of Funds:
a) An initial budget of $10 billion shall be made available for construction and development. This funding shall be allocated within two years from the enactment of this act.
b) The President, in collaboration with relevant government agencies, shall oversee the allocation and disbursement of these funds, ensuring transparency and accountability. The President shall present a bill to the Senate authorizing such allocations within six months from the effective date of this legislation.

a) Construction shall be carried out in a phased approach, with certain parts of the city prioritized to ensure efficient and timely development.

a) The President, in consultation with relevant authorities, shall establish an implementation schedule that outlines the timeline and milestones for construction.

a) The President shall provide regular progress reports to the Senate and the public, detailing the utilization of funds, milestones achieved, and any challenges encountered during construction.

Addendum:

Map

The bill as-is incorporates precisely zero square miles of the Southern Region, so I fixed that.

§2.3 is empty corporatespeak that the relevant authorities can come up with themselves, these don't even count as "guidelines" for them because of how vaguely it's worded.

The absolute most important first consideration for a planned city (and most of the fun of doing this in the first place) is establishing how people get to, from, and around the city to begin with. I think this amendment covers most of the initial bases so this doesn't immediately become a white elephant.

Also made clear that the appropriations for this have to run through us at some point so they can be put in their proper budgetary place.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2023, 11:31:58 PM »

I entered this debate as an opponent of a new capital. My fellow senators, however, have raised good points about the rebellious nature of certain regions and the potential dangers in having the federal capital potentially surrounded by a hostile government. I support this act.

The obvious justification for the act and situating it at the regional tripoint is to foster goodwill between all regions but if this is the one that most motivates your thinking, sure, I can't stop you…
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2023, 11:33:22 PM »

Motion withdrawn.
Any objection to the amendment?
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2023, 11:47:08 PM »

No objections but if we’re going to move the Capitol, wouldn’t it make more sense to move it near Lebanon Kansas which is the geographical halfway point?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies