SB 117-39: Federal Video Games Microtransaction Regulation Act - WITHDRAWN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:22:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 117-39: Federal Video Games Microtransaction Regulation Act - WITHDRAWN
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 117-39: Federal Video Games Microtransaction Regulation Act - WITHDRAWN  (Read 256 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2023, 11:02:18 PM »
« edited: September 28, 2023, 09:34:20 PM by PPT Dwarven Dragon »

Federal Video Games Microtransaction Regulation Act

Preamble
In recognition of the increasing prevalence and potential harms of microtransactions in video games, this Act seeks to provide a comprehensive framework to regulate their use and ensure consumer protection, especially among vulnerable demographics like minors.

SECTION I: TITLE

This Act may be referred to as the "Federal Video Games Microtransaction Regulation Act."

SECTION II: DEFINITIONS AND LEGISLATIVE FINDINGS

Microtransaction: Refers to any purchase within a video game involving consumable virtual items, cosmetic virtual items without direct in-game advantages, time-savers, or in-game currency, typically acquired using real-world currency.

Digital Video Game Purchase: Constitutes the acquisition of a video game, additional downloadable content, game unlocks, or the purchase of in-game currency through online platforms.

The Federal Congress recognizes that microtransactions resemble non-fungible tokens in their operation and, thus, require similar regulatory oversight.

The Federal Congress acknowledges that many digital video game purchases lack transparency and may deceive consumers, leading, in some cases, to unintentional and significant expenditures, especially by minors.

SECTION III: REGULATORY PROVISIONS ON MICROTRANSACTIONS

Video games featuring microtransactions, as defined herein, shall adhere to the regulations set forth in this section.

Any transaction in a video game that involves real-world currency must be transparently labeled. Each transaction shall necessitate the manual input of credit card details and a unique password for each purchase to ensure user awareness.

Digital video game purchases shall not be accessible on platforms or digital storefronts where the registered user is clearly identified as a minor OR where the age is unspecified.

SECTION IV: PENALTIES AND ENFORCEMENT

Video game developers, distributors, and associated third-party publishers found in violation of this Act's provisions will be liable to a penalty of $50,000,000 per infraction.

SECTION V: IMPLEMENTATION

This Act will come into effect two weeks after its passage.

Sponsor: Laki
Occupying: Slot 20
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 07:12:20 AM »

This is an example of a bill i introduced a year ago in Lincoln (where it passed) and which I now want to pass federally. The act tries to deal with the addictive nature of video games by regulating microtransactions because they in particular are popular among vulnerable demographics such as minors in addictive games, and often minors go out of their ways to buy microtransactons sometimes without parental consent. This bill would regulate those, and deal with the addictive nature of it for all age groups. Regulating microtransactions i believe would boost video game quality as well in the long run.

I also want to add that technically this could also involve NFT's and digicoins given we're talking about in-game currency often being offered as a microtransaction as well (for instance GTA cash).
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 08:42:42 AM »

What does "a unique password for each purchase" mean, in practice?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 01:43:00 PM »

We essentially passed this already last year. How does this differ from the law we already passed, found here: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=529406.0
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 07:26:51 PM »

We essentially passed this already last year. How does this differ from the law we already passed, found here: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=529406.0

Does this apply to all video games since the act only seems to specify mobile games.

What does "a unique password for each purchase" mean, in practice?

Bad language of mine, probably, just means a unique password for purchases. Though i would want to add i do not support password saving as an option (so that has to be perhaps included). Secondly, yes, a lot of services no longer require passwords if you're automatically logged in on the service.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 12:28:03 AM »

Does this apply to all video games since the act only seems to specify mobile games.

Nothing in that bill specified mobile games.

1. As used in this title:

A. Lootbox means a consumable virtual item which can be redeemed to receive a randomized selection of further virtual items, found as part of certain video games and that can be purchased through the use of real world money or cryptocurrency.

B. Digital video game purchase means the purchasing of a video game or other downloadable content, or unlock or the purchase of virtual video game currency digitally through the internet.

2. The sale, advertising, or distribution in Atlasia of any digital video game purchase that contains a lootbox is hereby prohibited, except for games rated "Mature (M)", "Adult (A)", or "Likely Mature 17+". Except as just specified herein, all such digital video game purchases in the Atlasia shall be free from any prohibited lootbox and any existing game containing a prohibited lootbox shall have functionality and access to such lootbox disabled by the game licensee or distributor.

3. No digital video game purchase in Atlasia that contains a lootbox shall permit the lootbox to be redeemable or usable within a general store for products, benefits, merchandise, or any other thing of value unrelated to the game containing the lootbox. This includes but is not limited to company products, discounts on company products, gift cards, tangible prizes, and cash.

4. A violation of this act shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $10,000.00 per transaction and disgorgement of any profits.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 09:17:35 AM »

A. Lootbox means a consumable virtual item which can be redeemed to receive a randomized selection of further virtual items, found as part of certain video games and that can be purchased through the use of real world money or cryptocurrency.

B. Digital video game purchase means the purchasing of a video game or other downloadable content, or unlock or the purchase of virtual video game currency digitally through the internet.

2. The sale, advertising, or distribution in Atlasia of any digital video game purchase that contains a lootbox is hereby prohibited, except for games rated "Mature (M)", "Adult (A)", or "Likely Mature 17+". Except as just specified herein, all such digital video game purchases in the Atlasia shall be free from any prohibited lootbox and any existing game containing a prohibited lootbox shall have functionality and access to such lootbox disabled by the game licensee or distributor.

3. No digital video game purchase in Atlasia that contains a lootbox shall permit the lootbox to be redeemable or usable within a general store for products, benefits, merchandise, or any other thing of value unrelated to the game containing the lootbox. This includes but is not limited to company products, discounts on company products, gift cards, tangible prizes, and cash.

4. A violation of this act shall constitute a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of no more than $10,000.00 per transaction and disgorgement of any profits.

TITLE V: MOBILE FREEMIUM GAME APPS

The title was.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 12:09:25 PM »

TITLE V: MOBILE FREEMIUM GAME APPS

The title was.

Do you see any reference to mobile games in the text?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 02:29:21 PM »

The title of the previous legislation is admittedly awkward and we need to do a better job of that going forward. However, I do believe the previous legislation is adequate.

Asking consent to table.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 07:09:19 PM »

The title of the previous legislation is admittedly awkward and we need to do a better job of that going forward. However, I do believe the previous legislation is adequate.

Asking consent to table.

Consent granted
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 11:19:16 PM »

I just walked into the Senate chamber a minute ago and the ghost of the Deputy PPT told me this bill was tabled. Can we get a confirmation of that?
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 11:20:25 PM »

I just walked into the Senate chamber a minute ago and the ghost of the Deputy PPT told me this bill was tabled. Can we get a confirmation of that?

Essentially, I asked for UC to table it, and the original sponsor agreed to withdraw it. The bill is tabled.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 11:22:04 PM »

Essentially, I asked for UC to table it, and the original sponsor agreed to withdraw it. The bill is tabled.

Thanks for putting it on the record, that's all we need from the PPT.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies