Are Alaska Democrats the most effective "punching above weight" party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are Alaska Democrats the most effective "punching above weight" party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Are Alaska Democrats the most effective "punching above weight" party?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Are Alaska Democrats the most effective "punching above weight" party?  (Read 459 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2023, 10:58:27 PM »

Something that came to me after talking to a couple who went on their honeymoon in Alaska and them right to Furnace Fest as a cap on it. Alaska is the only state where the majority party is actually pretty marginalized. The Democratic preferred candidate won 2/3 of Alaska's congressional delegation, Murkowski has been elected as the de facto Democratic candidate for three cycles now and they effectively control the legislature with a "coalition" government. The result is Alaska fails to pass any particular conservative legislation, yes even the Alaska Democrats aren't particularly liberal either, but it's notable that the state has such a centrist government overall (aside from issues involving the environment and oil of course.) Like compare Alaska to Georgia or North Carolina or even Wisconsin and Arizona without Evers and Hobbs.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 07:41:25 AM »

It has been noted before that Lisa Murkowski has never won an absolute majority in any of her Senate runs (other than the final round of 2022).
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 12:18:17 PM »

Well its a unique state located well off from the mainland. The political dynamics there are surely going to be different than say Montana. That being said Dan Sullivan seems like a pretty generic R and he hasn't faced any significant issues yet.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 01:08:30 PM »

Before about 2020 or so, I probably would’ve said Montana, but I think that Alaska is accurate now.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 04:16:28 PM »

Well its a unique state located well off from the mainland. The political dynamics there are surely going to be different than say Montana. That being said Dan Sullivan seems like a pretty generic R and he hasn't faced any significant issues yet.

Ye, I was going to say it's not rlly that AK Dems are particularly strong but that politics in AK is so unique and so local you see a lot of crossover voting downballot on the state level. Furthermore, AK Dems have a pretty effective vote distribution since AK Rs sort of pack into the Mat-Su/Wasilla area.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies